“Most AMAZING Honeymoon Imaginable!!"”
Review of The Phoenix Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Phoenix Resort
Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 12 May 2010

Ok, so I know my review is going to be really long - because WE DID EVERYTHING!! Please take the time to read it, I promise you will get some good tips! Stacey and the entire staff were so kind and helpful, they booked all of our excursions, recommended the best guides to go with and we just charged them to our room and paid at the end. The food at the Red Ginger (the restaurant at the resort) is delicious. We did basically everything I had read to do in the reviews on TripAdvisor. I will go in order by day to make sure I don't leave anything out.

Day 1 - Our greeting by the Phoenix staff was great. Stacey, one of the resort managers, came outside to greet us as we were getting out of our cab. The resort paid for our cab ride from the airport and had fresh cocktails made with ginger waiting for us. Totally hit the spot after traveling for half a day. Stacey showed us to our condo and they had upgraded us to a two bedroom two bathroom since it was our honeymoon. The condo was awesome, even more beautiful than we expected, and the veranda was GIANT!! We were totally exhausted because our wedding was the night before we came, so we decided to stay in and eat at the Red Ginger. Our meal was excellent form appetizer to entree to wine to desert. Order the Grouper dish and the cinnamon apple cheesecake with Irish whiskey whipped cream and caramel sauce - DELICIOUS!

Day 2 - We ate breakfast at Estel's on the beach. The food was yummy (the Watermelon juice is a MUST TRY) and the atmosphere was great - sand floor, barefoot waiter, live music. We stopped by the front desk after lunch and Stacey and the reception staff were there to chat and help us with whatever we needed. Stacey suggested we go snorkeling with Alfonse at Hol Chan because we didn't have any plans for the afternoon. GREAT SUGGESTION!! Alfonse was so great, he is a local and knows so much about marine life. We saw parrot fish, a giant balck grouper that let Alfonse hug it and kiss it on the lips, baracudas, 3 kinds of sting rays, tons of gorgeous fish, sea turtles and even a morae eel that Alfonse swam down and taunted so it would come out of the coral so we could see more of its body! Then he took us to Shark Ray Alley were we HELD nurse sharks in 15-20 feet deep open ocean water! I did so many things on this trip I would never have thought I had the guts to do. We also saw a huge sting ray sit on Alfonse's head like a hat. Remember that these are animals in the wild, not in a tank or anything. CRAZY!

Day 3 - We went diving with Gilbert from Chuck and Robbie's Dive Shop. Well, my husband went diving, I snorkeled above him and the group. I got claustrophobic once we got in the water, and Gilbert was so understanding and helpful. He helped me get my gear off and traded it out for snorkeling gear and off we went! My husband and I both had a great time and we really appreciated the fact that I could just snorkel above him. We ate dinner at Wild Mango's that night and the food was great. The Rum Punch is the best we had the whole trip.

Day 4 - We rented a golf cart and drove around the island which was really fun. We headed North to Palapa Bar (another great suggestion made by Stacey) which is a bar built out over the water. We got some great pics. After that we had a much deserved trip to the Sol Spa! We did ear candling and got massages. Cari and Char were great, I even went back the last day we were there to have Char do ear candling on me again! After our spa time we went onto the roof of the resort to enjoy the sunset - DO NOT MISS OUT ON THE ROOF TOP ACCESS - the views are amazing.

Day 5 - We laid by the pool in the morning and enjoyed drinks made at the pool bar by Ronaldo. Then, WE TOOK A PLANE RIDE OVER THE BLUE HOLE!!! This may be the coolest thing I have ever done. It was just the pilot, my husband and me on a 4 seater plane. The view of the islands, the reef and the Blue Hole can't be beat. For dinner, the resort made us reservations at Caliente's so we could go to the famous CHICKEN DROP (if you don't know what this is look it up). We had the best seats in the house, right above the board, and WE WON TWICE!! If you go to the Chicken Drop, you will understand how impressive it is that we were that lucky :)

Day 6 - We took an all day private tour with Ed. First, we flew back to Belize City where Ed picked us up and drove us through the Belizean country side to the Mayan ruins Xunantanich (shoo-nan-ta-neech). I was much more moved and impressed than I thought I would be, it was an amazing experience. Ed was so knowledgeable and told us so many facts about the ruins, the plant life and animal life. When we saw a group of 50 people with two guides, we realized what a great experience we were having just us and Ed! Then we went zip lining through the rain forest and tubing down a river through a cave system with Ed there to give us even more great info. The whole day was incredible and we have so many great memories and pictures!!

Day 7 - Our last full day :(, but it was another GREAT DAY!! We went on a private fishing trip with Oliver (who is Cari from the spa's husband) and his first mate Alex. Oliver and Alex were so friendly and fun, and I enjoyed them making fun of my husband when the catch count quickly became me-2 my husband-0 (although by the end of the trip it was a tie). After we caught some more fish we pulled up on the beach (which was covered in conch shells) and Oliver and Alex cooked the fish we caught. Oliver had also brought along some coconut milk rice, beans, tortillas and rum punch! It was one of the best meals we had, and I won't even eat seafood at home. Overall another unbeatable day in paradise.

Sadly, our trip came to an end, but we left not having one "I wish we had done that" thought! Go to San Pedro and STAY AT THE PHOENIX!! The Phoenix gives you luxury and pampering while still being in the mist of the REAL San Pedro, which was our favorite part about the resort. I have always been a lay-on-the-beach for the entire vacation type person but this was soooo much better! You can't go wrong with the help of the people that work at the Phoenix. We stopped by the front desk every day to say hi, get advice on where to go, what to do and to tell the staff how much fun we were having. They were really great and the experience would not have been half of what it was without them!! A big thanks to Stacey again for everything!!

9  Thank MeredithM77
Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed 29 April 2010

I spent a week at the Phoenix last month and I cannot say enough good things about this resort. It is really a special place. I’ve stayed in several different hotels in San Pedro before, and the Phoenix is hands down the best, I’ll only stay here from now on! By far the most luxurious hotel on the island -- huge comfortable beds, awesome bathroom with great shower and tub, and best of all the veranda overlooking the pool and the ocean. If you’re into yoga I highly recommend the morning classes in the Phoenix fitness center. My sister and I also got massages one day at Sol Spa, and they were far superior to any massages we’ve had in the States recently. The Phoenix staff was incredibly warm and friendly, and did everything they could to make sure we were having a perfect visit. They arranged a great snorkeling trip for us one day, and helped us with dinner reservations at a couple different places throughout the week. The other guests I met during my stay were very friendly as well – and we all commented on how the Phoenix surpassed our expectations – I can’t wait for my next trip!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Second time I've stayed here so knew I loved it, but since my last stay a year ago, their amenities, service and grounds have all improved even more. In particular I love the balance of local island life and the secluded privacy of this hotel. You've got the pool and amazing condo, but also real local flavor right outside the hotel grounds without being totally secluded. Their spa and gym also provided a whole new experience. Had a massage (amazingggg) and took their yoga classes (equal parts tough and relaxing!). They sent us on a great snorkeling trip and loved every minute reading by that pool. Came with family this time, but looking into bringing friends down next time - it's great for both!

• Stayed: February 2010
2  Thank nyctravelgal81
Reviewed 21 April 2010

It is a great hotel for San Pedro, however San Pedro as a whole is not as economical compare to Guatemala or Mexico.

This is the best Hotel in San Pedro, for those who are looking to relax and enjoy the room, this is the perfect place. The best building is "C" with amazing water views.
The Hotel is located just a few minutes from the dive shops and main restaurants.

San Pedro is perfect for going out to snorkel & scuba diving; you must head out to visit the Blue Hole; be ready for a long 2 hour bumpy boat ride. I highly recommend using "Amigos del Mar" . The hotel can arrange reservations ahead of time.

San Pedro is a very lay-back island, be ready for a few power losses during the day & night.

Bring a nice book to relax by the Hotel pool & order their special "Ginger Rum Punch"!
Cheers!

Reviewed 18 April 2010

Our trip to Belize and the Pheonix were absolutely perfect. The resort and condos are as advertised...they are well kept and beautiful. The staff is attendtive, friendly, and helpful. I could not imagine a more perfect, more relaxing vacation. You will not be disappointed with a vacation at the Pheonix!