20 people are viewing this hotel
SAVE US$5
Hotels.comUS$145
TravelocityUS$145
PricelineUS$145
All reviews private beach taco shack family cottage garden cottage martini bar empanadas water beds dirty martini diamond member food stands golf cart boat ride the cottages boat leaves food vendors the main house ambergris caye
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Everything was amazing! The massage, the beach, the boat trip, the birthday favors, the coffee shop. Our room was clean, bed was comfortable, food was delicious! I did not want to leave and will make sure I definitely come again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The good: Randy in room dining chef was excellent. Highly recommend him and Chef Adan. Concierge staff excellent in particular Stephanie. The bad front desk slow and not friendly. Water pressure poor for two days. Wi-fi is horrible. We were not told restaurant shacks only take cash. Japanese restaurant has to be paid separately. Beach Club short on chairs. Phone system went out for 1/2 day. You have to request housekeeping we were never told this. Two days we requested they never showed up.

2  Thank FarAway179118
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Booked a family (adults) vacation and was disappointed in the communication from the staff. San Pedro is friendly, the facility is nice but no one there can answer a question. And everything at the resort is very expensive. Be ready to pay.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Background

This resort is one of the most under-appreciated treasures of the Caribbean. Tucked away in San Pedro, Belize, on the island of Ambergris Caye, there should be no doubt that you’re in for an amazing vacation. But, it’s a different vibe than most other high-rated Caribbean resorts. For starters, there is no beach. The rooms do not have ocean views, and there are no places to take a late night romantic stroll on the oceanfront. The reason for this is because Belize doesn’t really have a white sandy coastline. In fact, it’s mostly rocky shores, small patches of sand, and seawalls. This is because the coastline is flanked by an offshore reef second in size only to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. One of the top diving and snorkeling destinations in the world, in fact. This makes the usable shore more like what you’d find in a bay. It’s important to understand this before you go. If your idea is to hear the sound of waves crashing while you relax in the sun, you won’t find it here. However, Mahogany Bay has a unique way of making this an amazing place to stay.

The best part of Mahogany Bay, by far, is the private island they own, complete with - you guessed it - white sandy shores and crystal clear water. To get there, you need to take their hourly boat shuttle. It’s worth every second of the 10 minute ride to the island. Once you get there, a full bar, kitchen, umbrellas, paddle boards, umbrellas, and over-the-water cabana-styled beds await. While there are no waves, this is one of the most picturesque spots anywhere within 1000 miles.

Belize got kicked pretty hard by the loss of tourism during COVID, but they were also one of the first islands to bounce back and invite everyone down to their beautiful and friendly climes. Belize accepts CDC vaccination cards and negative Covid tests to enter, and the rates of disease there are so low, they barely register compared to other areas in the Caribbean. They understand their livelihoods depend on (primarily) US tourists. And, they welcome you with open arms and amazing smiles. It’s one of the most hospitable places I’ve ever been.

My Experience

Details: 8 Nights, used Hilton points to avoid paying resort fees (May 13-21)

Before checking in, I reached out to the hotel manager, Roberto Guerra, to confirm my Diamond status, and to see if there was anything special he could do not just for my wife and I, but for our travel companions as well (two other couples). Roberto did not disappoint. He upgraded us from a standard room (garden cottage) to a 2-bedroom, 2-story townhouse! He also upgraded our non-diamond friends (although not as extravagantly)!

The hotel property is beautiful and hosts several restaurants, bars, and a mid-sized pool. They list quite a few amenities, although many are closed or inoperable. For example, while the gym is open, yoga classes are still closed, and all the free bicycles on the property were broken. This may not be a big deal, but having bikes would have saved us hundreds of dollars in cab fares to our nightly dinners downtown San Pedro (a 25-30 minute walk or $10US cab ride), and to the not-so-secret Secret Beach (not the private island I mentioned earlier) an hour away (but in fairness, would have been a horrible bike ride anyway!). Additionally, the internet, even the diamond network (when it worked) was absolutely abysmal. And by abysmal, I mean, barely functional. I don’t know why this was the case, but if you’re the type who wants to post videos and pictures at the end of your day, be prepared for lots of frustration.

Room service is by request only (this is a Covid holdover that I predict will become common at all hotels going forward). No problem, except it didn’t happen for the two times I requested it. Roberto took care of that going forward, and made sure it was done every day. We didn’t need it, but it was a nice touch. Also, The upgrade provided us with a washer and dryer in the room. Something I wasn’t counting on, but it was nice to have. Unfortunately, it failed in a spectacular way that almost ruined our vacation. Roberto took care of that, too. Took all of our laundry to his staff to have them take care of it. Those are the kinds of personal touches that make a good stay in amazing stay.

According to staff, the hotel is operating at reduced capacity due to demand. But, it’s seen a sudden spike, and I think they’ve been caught off guard a bit. There is plenty of staff, but waits for certain things can be long, like for food at the hotel restaurant, and most importantly, the lines for the teeny boats that transport guests to and from the private island. First boat leaves at 10:00am. I’d suggest lining up at 9:30am if you want to make it. Same for the 11:00am boat (they run every hour). The boats hold 11-14 people, depending on which one you get. The good news is, if you miss it, they will circle back and pick you up. But that can take as long as 20 minutes waiting in the hot Belize sun. Something that happened to us multiple times in both directions. This needs improvement as things get back to capacity.

The private island (beach club) was amazing. There were plenty of beds, but keep in mind not all have umbrellas. Some have trees. Some have palapas. And many have nothing but sun. The beautiful cabana-style beds that turn heads cost money, so reserve one in advance. But, they’re a bit overrated (you just sit there, covered, in silence) and are probably best used to show your friends the amazing life you live via pictures on Instagram. Still, worth getting at least once. The bar staff on the Island are amazing, and, they will even paddleboard to you if you need it. After all, would you want to come in from that amazing looking water just to get a piña colada or mai tai?! The beach is situated for a perfect sunset, however, the last boat leaves at 5:30pm - 45 minutes before the sunset (in May). I am told this is because the waterways can be harder to navigate in the dark, and mosquitoes can be a problem when the sun goes down.

The hotel will help you book excursions. In fact, there is a wonderful company located on the premises called Tuff-E-Nuff, that was competitively priced against anyone else on the island when it came to diving and snorkeling. In fact, they beat most prices. This is especially helpful if you want to charge everything to your room. This will net you a significant amount of points if you keep things on your Hilton branded or other travel credit cards.

The property itself is quite large, and many guests opt for golf carts to navigate not just the long paths to some of the rooms, but for the island itself. If I could go back in time, I would have rented a golf cart at the beginning of our stay for the full eight days. But it’s a personal preference. You can get by just fine without them. But, it makes the difference between staying at the hotel and waiting for a cab, and just being able to jump in your go cart and go. Fun fact: over 90% of the vehicles on this island are golf carts. Gas powered. The other 10% or Toyota Previas from the 90s. Weird, but true.

The beauty of Belize is not just in the resort curated beach. It’s in the jungles. The Mayan and Aztec ruins. The snorkeling. The second greatest reef in the world (!!!). The diving. All of it. If you want details on some of the packages we took. Let me know. But between laying on the private island for several days, we also managed to fly to the mainland to experience the jungles, cave tubing, spider monkeys, ruins, and great people and food.

This trip was amazing. The accommodations are fantastic. Just know what you’re getting into. I spent my first three days complaining about things I didn’t have in other resorts. By the end of the eight days, I became a true believer in the magic of why this resort stands on its own and may be the most underrated property in the Caribbean.

Have the adventure of a lifetime. Come to Belize.

2  Thank CongressDJ
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What a welcome surprise! We normally avoid chain hotels but coming across the Mahogany Bay here on TripAdvisor caught my attention and that Beach Club (I created a separate profile devoted just to the Beach Club if you are interested), especially, was a very big decision making factor and I must say everything turned out even better than we hoped for, especially since this hotel and its beach are located on the west side of Ambergris Cay and during our April 2021 visit the seaweed invasion completely spoiled the east coast beaches/waterfronts (I attached pictures from the plane here to give others a heads up on what it could look like and what you are gambling on).

Location: about 10 to 15 minutes easy golf cart ride south from the airport, and convenient with grocery stores on the way if you wanted to stop and stack up on some beer etc. There are some restaurants in the area, including the hotel grounds, but most are closer to the airport and going north. Hotel itself is not directly on the beach but by the boat channel from which the hotel provides complimentary boat rides back and forth to its amazing Beach Club which is about 10 to 15 minutes ride north (see my separate review on details). We originally wanted to stay in directly "in" San Pedro and were super glad we didn't as it's a bit too noisy with the golf carts and too busy with the people - this Hilton property is very tranquil and far enough from the hustle and bustle of San Pedro and yet conveniently enough visit it if desired so. For those who want to the the Secret Beach see my separate review for details but it's about 45-50 minutes golf cart ride - the beach at MB's Club is better than Secret Beach but still something many want to visit and will visit, included us.

Room: the rooms were amazing! Super cozy, modern, tropical vibe - very tasteful decor, modern amenities like TV, Wi-Fi, safe, etc. all the usual suspects :) We loved the "semi outside shower" and the bed was big and comfy. One of the nicest room for the price range I have had a pleasure staying at in a while - honestly I thought we struck a bargain for what we had considering how much we paid. The daily fee covers the boat ride to the club and other things, including the Wi-Fi and TV service and unfortunately that goes out quite often or at least did during our 5 days so if you plan to work while traveling you may want to have a plan B on the connection - I didn't care but my wife rightfully said that the hotel should have returned some $ for the daily fee charged where there was no wifi (the TV unfortunately then becomes useless as well as their hotel system platform doesn't allow for Netflix etc. so when that platform is down the TV is no longer of us). Each room comes with a card key and unfortunately ours died during the last night so any time we left the room we needed to ask staff to help us get back to it - nothing that spoiled our stay but something to give you an idea that power and internet outages are, from what we were told, a common thing in Belize (experienced some on the mainland too) so just be respectful, be patient and relax - after all most likely you came here to rest and take it easyyyyyy

Hotel Grounds: this is where Mahogany Bay Resort shines! It's such a cozy little village of these pretty little (and some bigger) houses, their own vegetable garden, the little parking spots for the carts in front of the houses - it's like you are in a little village of its own - we absolutely loved it! What makes it better is despite being a bigger chain brand the hotel is big enough for you not to feel bored and yet small to feel cozy and intimate - one of the nicest and most welcoming property in a while we had a pleasure staying at - definitely will give "hotel chains" a shot as this was an eye opener for me for certain! :) Our favorite spot were the swings by the docks where you board the boat to the beach club - here you can chill and enjoy a great sunset as well. The last night we also tried the 2 bigger chairs right on the docks but after seeing that same evening the crocodile passing by my confidence to seat there shattered :) and we pretty fast retreated to the swings! Still can't believe how close it passed by us and overall to the area that normally has plenty of people passing through to/out boats - definitely, definitely!!! I SAY DEFINITEILY the SIGN DO NOT SWIM at that boat dock is for your own good!!! We bumped to a few crocs while on the mainland of Belize but here chilling on the seat and having it swim by completely unexpected scared me and it made me realize that each time we got to that boat that guy was somewhere out there - keep that in mind and approach the ride/area responsibly so you don't have any regrets later.

Beach & Swimming Pool: wow! like I said, it was a decision making factor but I didn't expect it to be nicer than the Secret Beach - it's a like an excursion in itself as you get the complimentary boat ride and while on the beach there are sports, equipment, games, restaurant/bar, lounger area - it's a full package - a very welcome aspect of the property as prior to arriving at Mahogany Bay Resort we spent 5 days in Belize's mainland where we focused on exploring and for the first time in many years we didn't do a single moment of beach-bumming :) until we made it to Ambergris Caye and to have a beach of this quality was a cherry on the top of this already outstanding cake! Again, check out the Secret Beach as it's a cool day trip idea but other than these 2 I can't speak for any other beaches as we didn't bother after smelling the seaweed on the east coast and seeing what it did to the coastline :( The swimming pool by the main restaurant looked inviting but we simply didn't try it so I can't comment there other than provide pictures and say that the views from the loungers are pretty nice and it's a great place for sunsets.

Food & Restaurant Options: I was concerned at first that the prices would be extremely high and that the food boring but the Verandah restaurant on the property turned out to be another excellent component of this great property - food was creative, tasty and fairly priced - after first breakfast we didn't bother to try any other place in the morning and actually we did our last dinner here as well and that was great (reviewed separately). The beach club restaurant serves limited menu but everyone can find something there for themselves. Back at the main property the Jyoto (Japanese restaurant) was just an OK experience but the little shacks working together with the hotel to provide some down to earth local flavors were a refreshing idea (we tried one, for what it cost and tasted vs the fact how convenient it was we though it was a fair trade off). Then you have plenty of options outside of the resort grounds and driving back north - the place I would personally recommend is the Truck Stop - it's not just food, it's like a playground for adults (see separate review for details). Sadly during our stay the Rum + Bean was closed so we can't comment on that option.

Things to do: in 5 days we did two times the "day on the beach" at Mahogany Bay, flew with Maya Air to the Great Blue Hole, did a day trip to the Secret Beach, spent some quality time at the Truck Stop, and had tried some restaurants - Ambergris Caye is a really cool place and it feels completely different than the mainland - it's almost like 2 completely different countries :) there are things to choose from here + snorkeling/boating/diving trips if you are up for that as well. I would suggest not to go back to the mainland for any Maya Ruins as excursion but instead spend a few days on the mainland as even from there getting to and from those places requires time and energy so to add the extra step of getting first back to the mainland from the islands isn't the best idea in my modest opinion.

Overall: great place, nice people, superb value - I would definitely stay here again if we return to Belizean islands, super happy we chose Ambergris Caye, super satisfied we chose Mahogany Bay Resort!

Date of stay: April 2021