All reviewssea liceplunge poolprivate islandcasa ventanasoverwater bungalowour honeymoontiny islandbutler servicebelize cityblue holefishprivate placethe trade windsnurse sharksspa treatmentstotal relaxationspent days
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

My wife and I have had the privilege to travel extensively throughout the Caribbean. We have never written a review after any of our other adventures, but are compelled to write one after our time at Cayo Espanto. From the moment we disembarked from our plane at Belize City to the moment we boarded our return flight the staff at Cayo were there to insure that our every want and need were met. The welcome was warm and genuine from Erica and the entire staff. We stayed in Casa Solano and cannot brag on Jesus and José enough, my vocabulary is not sufficient. They were always available for anything we desired but were very sensitive to allow us time alone without intrusion. Chef Patrick and his staff exceeded our expectations, so much so that not only could we not finish the generous portions; but we declined any afternoon snacks because we just weren’t hungry in the slightest. If you are looking for a resort with 5 star expectations, privacy, and the most beautiful views and setting; we highly recommend Cayo Espanto. Just make sure you bring your bug repellant and anti itch spray with you.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bamafam84
Reviewed 21 May 2018

From the time we stepped off the local flight to San Pedro until we were escorted to the airport to depart, our houseman, Larry, anticipated our needs. I'd been planning the trip for over a month and had always dreamed of being in a calm, quiet place in the Caribbean. Cayo Espanto definitely fit the bill of places to experience for just those things and so much more.

Casa Ventanas is their one over-water bungalow. It doesn't have a plunge pool, but we found the ocean breezes in the afternoons and evenings to keep us adequately cooled. There is air conditioning available but we were fine without it. The bed was very comfortable with tons of pillows and mosquito netting available, but we didn't see a single mosquito down there anywhere.

Lots of Cormorants, Great Tailed Grackles, Magnificent Frigatebirds, Pelicans, and the fish around the back dock kept us entertained, too--Needlefish, Bonefish, Big Eye Snappers. We happened to be there during Sea-Lice season; after experiencing them (they're a little bitey), I chose to forgo snorkeling around our dock but my husband wasn't bothered by them. Sunscreen with Sea-Lice protectant is available in the bungalow.

Must recommend the excursion to Hol Chan Marine Reserve for snorkeling and scuba diving. What an amazing experience.

The food was prepared on our schedule and was suited to our tastes based on a questionnaire we were emailed ahead of time. The fruit juices in the region are spectacular. Cantaloupe and watermelon juices were available all the time (and I'm sure any other type of juice you'd want) and were prepared fresh. I've never had better Eggs Benedict in my life and Chef Richard's Lobster Raviolis were exquisite. Lovely desserts after lunch and dinner.

I cannot say enough great things about the staff on the island. It really is an amazing place to go to completely unwind and allow someone else to take care of everything for you.

Stayed: May 2018
4  Thank Phasianidae
Reviewed 4 May 2018

My wife and I spend several nights at the Las Brisas villa last week and had a terrific experience. Carlos and Kevin spoiled us rotten the entire time and Richard's culinary extravaganzas were wonderful. The rooms is luxurious but not over the top. The plunge pool was great and, as it turns out, very important to our well being. While it is true the local waters do not have "sea lice" they do have "seat roaches" which are 1/4 inch sized bugs that crawl on your if you swim or walk the waters surrounding CE. These creatures will bite and it can be painful. I had hoped to avoid this by swimming in the deeper water on the side of the island with the swim platform. That helped a bit, but I still had to pick these buggers off my legs. This essentially renders the surrounding water unusable. We had great day trips to scuba and bone fish, and the use of the plunge pool made the whole issue a bit less painful.

Obviously, there is nothing CE can do about this and they can't be held responsible. But if your vision for visiting involves carefree frolicking in the waters off your villa--think again. I am not squeamish but after trying to fish in the shallows for only 20 minutes, I gave up after picking several roaches off my corpus.

We loved everything else about CE.

Room Tip: a plunge pool is a requirement
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
8  Thank steve b
Reviewed 23 April 2018

I must echo previous reviews. This place is very special, very special. All the houses and the over water bungalow we stayed in are spectacular. Well thought out open airy and terrific.
The service is absolutely the perfect blend of understated elegance. Staff is there when you want them and not when you don’t. It’s amazign the instinct that the housemen have for that.
The food is excellent and the selection of drinks is tops.
We did the private get away beach(which is saying something since one is already “away” on the island.)
Even in a fully book Island, we rarely ever saw another guest!

Dive masters is tops, and access is easy. I love private dives, no waiting around etc etc!

Here is how amazing the place is:
The day we left, we took the helicopter (the ONLY way to arrive and depart).... and I forgot my backpack with passports in the room....
The staff took the backpack by boat to the local airport and flew it to Belize International in time to make our flight. Ground staff even interacted with the airline to be sure we made our flight. Amazing!!

Go here, stay here - enjoy it!

Room Tip: I would choose a East facing house with plunge pool
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mdbasile
Reviewed 10 April 2018

We stayed in the Casa Estrella. It was one of the best experiences. Belize is the most natural place I've been to. We went scuba diving in the Blue Hole, and also reef diving in San Pedro though a resort recommended tour operator since if we had gone with Cayo Espanto, we would have to charter our own boat. We did the Day at Sea program at Cayo Espanto, definitely one of the best days. We hunted for conches, caught lobsters and fished and ended the day eating our catch. The service was unbelievable. Everything there is fresh. We wanted coconut water, and they climbed up a coconut tree to make it for us. The only thing that could be better is the food. Portions were large, but could've been more tasty.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends