“Perfect.......”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Xaman Ek Resort & Spa
Ranked #50 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 10 March 2011

This was actually my second stay. I stayed here last year, and came back again this year because of the great service and location.
The owner, Mike, is very friendly... it feels more like staying with an old friend than at a hotel. The resort is relaxing, scenery is breathtaking. You can easily stroll along miles of beach, almost empty of people finding the perfect shells. Take the kayak provided out to Mexico Rocks (popular snorkeling destination at Ambergris) - you can actually see it from your room! A quick paddle and you are there on your own adventure. The water taxi's come frequently, and it's a quick 15 minute boat trip into town.
Mike has lived there for years, and always has the very best guides leading his excursions. I've snorkeled the reserve many times on trips he's set up - always seeing sea turtles, baracuda, nurse shark, sting rays, eel, sea cucumber - getting to interact and touch most of these creatures with a very experienced guide. The price for this is about $40 per person - about a 3 - 4 hour trip - very reasonable! I also did an all day tour to the Aztec rouines... Lamanai. This was amazing! It's a boat adventure, jungle adventure and temple adventure all in one - exotic birds, monkeys climbing in the boat, crocs, bats.... the guide was just amazing. He prepared an authentic Belizean lunch for us.... it was an experience of a lifetime.
You will not regret booking here.... it was the perfect get away!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 November 2010

Our stay at Xaman Ek provided the perfect start to a week of adventure, exploration, and relaxation. From scuba diving to island cuisine and Belikin beer, we experienced all that Belize has to offer in the comfort of a cozy, user-friendly resort.

My partner and I stayed in one of the beautifully thatched-roof cabanas by the pool. We were greeted by beautiful, fresh-cut flowers in our room. We especially enjoyed the breezy, quiet nights... it was important to catch up on sleep after days full of scuba diving. And slept we did: Xaman Ek is very secluded. No rowdy neighbors here!

Mike and his divemaster Steve both did an outstanding job organizing awesome scuba trips! We got personal attention, stunning dive sites, and invaluable training at an amazing price.

Mike, the owner and operating manager did an incredible job overseeing our stay. He frequently made sure we were comfortable and pointed out all the amenities available to us. Mike also has quite the green thumb! The grounds around the resort are a testimony to Mike's love of gardening... Xaman Ek is surrounded by breathtaking flowers, palms, and other native plants.

We ate a few breakfasts, lunches and one dinner in the Resory restaurant. No complaints! We experienced great service and delicious food. For dinner I ordered a whole fish (red snapper, I believe...) and it was out of this world! Breakfast was the best... Eggs and black beans, served with hot coffee and fresh tropical fruit... Perfection.

Xaman Ek's wonderfully secluded location makes it necessary to catch the water-taxi into San Pedro. Be prepared to pay for the round trip when you want to go into town. (Costs are similar to cab fare in any major city.)

Our favorite parts of our stay at Xaman Ek? Carribean-style breakfast on the beach-front patio, Scuba Steve's scuba trips, relaxing in the hammocks lining the perimeter of the resort, and the bright, tropical flowers!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmsvln
Reviewed 18 August 2010

For the 4th time, I visited Xaman Ek and am planning my return trip in October.
I love this place. Seclusion, caring staff, beautiful views, close to great dive spots, complete services offered at one location and great personal attention from the owner!

I'll keep going back to this island secret!

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Mike greeted us on the docks in San Pedro with a big smile. We were staying at the Xaman Ek for three nights, and attended a wedding at a nearby resort which was booked. We felt fortunate to have stayed at the Xaman Ek. Mike was a very pleasant and thoughtful guy, who provided us with some great conversation. Anything we needed was attended to, right down to a crib for our six month old little girl, and bananas for her to eat.

The food we had were great. Conch omelette is a must ... pina coladas are also a must try!

I'd go back to the Xaman Ek again just to visit Mike. He's a chill guy who cares greatly about his guests.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank mirahan
Reviewed 9 August 2010

If you are looking for a place where you will be waited on hand and foot then stay away! My fiance and I were looking for a honeymoon location to just relax for a few days and not be bothered by anyone...which was exactly what we found. When you want a beer you go in the fridge grab a beer and leave the bottle cap in your cup to be counted and paid at the end of the stay.
The beer policy directly reflects Mike (the owner's) personality- he is laid back! If you have any issues he isn't going to come running immediatly to fix it. He will sit with you have a beer with you and chat about the island, but he runs a small joint where the cabanas have thatched roofs and back up to the bush- so if you see some small furry friends scurrying arund your roof or some bugs on the floor, he isn't going to say much other than- 'well we're in the wild out here' or 'I can maybe try to put some traps out.'

If you are looking for a beautiful beach to lay on, stay away...the beaches aren't very big or particularly beautiful on the entire island because of the reef. Access to San Pedro is slightly limited. We had a water taxi pass included with our package, but the company had gone out of business. Mike did his best to accomodate us on that issue but it is about a 20 minute ride. We were happy with our one day that we spent walking around town and didn't need anymore than that.

So far the review sounds fairly negative, but my wife and I had an AMAZING time here. Bessie and Merrium in the kitchen were fantastic. The meal schedule was a little varied since we were the only two staying at the resort and occasionally the kitched staff would be working on other projects, but we never waited long and when we did wait the food was always worth it. For such a small operation we were amazed at the variety and quality available for breakfast lunch and dinner. Bessies homeade bread is not to be missed. My wife was partial to the homemade belgian waffles with banana's but my personal favorite was the french toast made with Bessies bread.

Ebony's spa treatments left me in some sort of elevated state of consciouness. Her little cabana sits about 10 yards from the ocean with a window facing that direction so that the cool ocean breeze lends a hand massaging out any ounce of stress that might be left after 2 days of sitting in a hammock on the ocean. Get some spa time included in your stay!

We did have some time with Scuba Steve as well, a true Islander who took us on a little scuba diving adventure. After about 30 minutes in 3 feet of water Steve felt we were ready for the reef- my wife wasn't so convinced, so she waited on the boat while Steve took me to the reef for a 30 minute dive- I've never been before and I could not stop marvelling at the scenery! When we got back to shore we realized that there had been a miscommunication in regards to what was included in our honeymoon package. We were supposed to have paid extra for the scuba, but when I told Mike that I felt like he had made it sound like it was included he took care of the issue with no extra cost to us.

Steve then proceeded to take me out on the water kayak to fish for lobsters with him and his trusty harpoon- a truly local experience that you will never get staying at a big resort. After fishing my wife and I sat on the dock with him while he cleaned up 10 lobster tails and several conchs- he even offered us two fresh lobster tails even though I didn't do any of the work catching them.

The weather was perfect while we were there despite consistently warm and humid days, the ocean breeze was pretty constant and made it feel cooler than Oralndo FL at the same time of year. The bugs stayed away as long as the breeze was present- the few times where it faded we needed to retreat inside or at least fight back with a little bug spray.

Overall we were very pleased with our relaxing island gettaway.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
#30 of 55 in San Pedro
Captain Morgan's Retreat
Captain Morgan's Retreat
#22 of 57 in Ambergris Caye

Been to Xaman Ek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!