“Avoid. Fails to deliver on every aspect....”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Mayan Islands Resort
Ranked #51 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 12 January 2016

Luxury price - economy service.... They used my credit card details without my authorization and double charged me for my stay.When I showed them double charge on my bank statement (on Christmas day), they argued telling me that booking.com is giving too much discount... They then suggested that this was the charge for the snorkeling trip (which I paid for in cash) and then tried to convince me that the additional charge of £425 was for the taxes! When I explained that the taxes were already included in the first deduction they still refused to accept that they double charged me and left me without the money on Christmas suggesting that they will contact the bank after the holiday. Refund followed few days later but no apology....

Villa wasn't ready with air conditioning and the lights not working so we had people in the villa during the first night repairing the stuff . Villa was booked for three but we only had two loungers (still waiting for the third one to be brought to us...). Coffee machine needs special pods which were not provided but we were told that there is one shop on the other island that sells it (great help!...). We were then offered some coffee pods all of which were out of date..... Curtain was missing in the bedroom, no soap in the bathroom, restaurant on site very basic and extremely overpriced (punishing your guests for staying with you????). To get into main island is $25 per person after 5pm which is not mentioned in the booking information. Best advise - avoid.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank Inga G

Reviewed 4 June 2015

The resort is located on its own private island and is very picturesque. There were many units in various stages of construction at the time of our visit but only five units were completed and only three occupied during our stay. Because of the small number of people that it serviced, the restaurant had very limited selections and the food was not fresh so we chose to eat and many of the superior restaurants on the mainland which required transportation by watertaxi. Although we were told transportation included, it was not, and were charged $25 per person ($100 for a family of four) each way every time we left the island which amounted to over $1200 during our stay. Although the staff was friendly, most were inexperienced and the service was not up to the level one would expect at what is advertised as a five-star resort. The fitness center was nothing more that a room with free weights and limited execise equipment and we had to request water and towels. There was a service charge for all activities booked by the resort which were not disclosed until the bill was presented at the end of our stay. Following my return from our trip, I voiced my concerns to the booking agent who promised to compensate me for the excessive charges but never delivered.

Room Tip: Pick a different resort
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank RIDentist
Reviewed 28 April 2015

We loved our stay! A private island with our own chef, concierge, and masseuse focused on making our trip an experience of a lifetime. Only 4 minutes from downtown San Pedro by private boat ride. Experienced Incrediable meals, snorkeling and fishing trips. The Star Island Villas are very comfortable, clean and private. The restaurant was excellent and provided extraordinary service. The pools, beach and grounds were beautiful and clean. We had a wonderful vacation that was both active and relaxing! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Randy D
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My gf and I stayed at Mayan Islands resort back in 2012 when it was still being built. Even then you could just tell that the quality of the resort was going to be top notch, and the service would be outstanding... and it was! Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Every meal was top notch, especially the steak and lobster, yum! Even though it's only one mile from San Pedro, it feels like a million miles away from everything, which adds to the tranquility. I would unreservedly recommend it to anyone, and I look forward to going back in the near future!

Room Tip: Nothing to choose from, they are all great!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JasonStoll
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Mayan island is a great experience for anyone, The Best way to relax and feel like you are on your own private Island. The staff is great! The rooms are at the highest quality of workmanship, the linen on the beds makes sleeping at its best !!! Can't wait to return

Room Tip: Book as soon as possible!!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business