See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 32 days. We booked the whole resort. I highly recommend this location we had ages ranging from 1 year to 65 and everything in between, We love Brian and Ruby they are very kind sweet people. They helped us take care of our booking for scuba diving,water repelling,zip lining,spice farm chocolate tour, they even baked our son a birthday cake. We spent Christmas Dinner with them the food was delicious. I feel like they treated us as family. We will be returning for a longer visit next time.

Date of stay: April 2014
4  Thank Wildfireash
Reviewed 14 April 2014

3 of my friends and I were on our "spring break" of sorts for our semester abroad program. We were looking for beachside places to relax on our budget when we stumbled into this lovely place. We were interested by the pictures alone and decided to contact Brian. Here is one of many spots they get an excellent because Brian's communication and support helped immensely in the logistics of our travel and our stay. He picked us up from the boat dock and drove us the 10-15 mins to the resort. I gave Surfside a 4 on this one because they are rather removed from downtown Placencia, but in some ways that's makes this place even better. This place is immaculate. The rooms are gorgeous, the view is ridiculous, and the food and service provided by Brian and Ruby and the staff is beyond the call is duty.
I would add here we were in the B suite for our stay and unless you are really comfortable with those you are with, I would suggest the A suite because the layout of the B suite is a little odd.
All in all, if you are looking for a place to wind down, kayak, swim, snorkel, tan, eat, and enjoy... This is the place for you

Date of stay: March 2014
2  Thank Treyball
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I could not describe how wonderful the view was from my room. The Room was right behind the ocean and I adored the sun sets each night. Brian the owner had made a pizza, coconut chicken with rice, and many other meals that were delicious. I would say that I would go back in a heart beat. They had bikes to take out to the town, I did a lot of biking and walking along the beach. The room was very large. The pool was still under construction but the ocean was 20 feet away. Ruby had taken her time to take out tours, which were amazing. It was hard to leave, and I look forward to my next trip !

Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank realmleaper
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My wife and I decided to stay here while on spring vacation because of the cheap rates. When we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff and beautiful setting, but other than the food, that's about all the place had going for it.

We stayed at Surfside Escape for three nights and were a little frustrated by the distance from Placencia village. We felt a little misled by the owner's claims that the resort was within walking distance of the village, especially considering that we mentioned that we would be traveling with our one year old daughter. In spite of his reassurances, we decided to rent a golf cart from the resort for the convenience, but on the first day, the thing broke down on the side of the road. Brian, the owner, came and picked us up and then took the golf cart to the shop, assuring us it would be ready by that evening. Nearly two days later, we FINALLY got the golf cart back, and so we went out for dinner, only to have the same thing happen. This time, we broke down in the pitch black dark. Luckily we were near a hotel, but after all this, he was still reluctant to even offer a refund on the golf cart, even though our trip was over (we left the next morning).

On top of this obnoxious experience, the room wasn't the cleanest. It had a terrible ant problem, and I found cockroach poison inside the cabinets where my one year old could easily have gotten ahold of it. This place is definitely not kid-friendly, and although it was a great deal, I would have gladly paid the extra money to stay somewhere with a heavier focus on customer service.

As an added note, we are now going on six months since our trip, and we have yet to receive a refund for our golf cart, due to a bank-related problem, according to the owner. I would DEFINITELY NOT recommend this place.

Date of stay: April 2013