All reviews pigeon cay black iguana yoga pavilion buccaneer landing cliffside room captain tom nude beach clothing optional beach plunge pool day pass west end snorkeling trips grilled shrimp other guests sound of the waves fish remote location
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Let me preface this review by saying that we visited Paya Bay one week after hurricane Rina and a day after a torrential downpour of rain. We booked a day pass to Paya Bay while cruising central America, therefore we did not use any of the rooms. When we arrived at Paya Bay we were greeted with a tropical drink, which was good. We made our lunch selections and set a time time for our lunch. We were then shown the beaches and how to get to the pathways. First off, you are in for a 45 - 60 minute ride to get to Paya Bay, so take two hours out of your day just to get there. Secondly the roads were terrible. (note my comments regarding the weather) We made our way to the secluded cabanas overlooking the water and found a LOT of floating debris, soccer balls, water bottles, anything that would float was on the banks and in the rocks. Not very pretty. After walking some of the trails we had a FANTASTIC lunch and returned back to the beaches again for some more sun. Like I said it was not what I had expected for a tropical island and a resort. I truly hope that someone will spend some time to clean the debris and even perhaps work on the trails. (This is my biggest concern) I always attempt to review with all things considered. Paya Bay was a "nice" place.

Date of stay: November 2011
3  Thank WeenjoytravelingUSA
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The fact that my wife and I went back to Paya Bay goes to show how much we love it!

Paya Bay is truly an amazing experience. The owners made us feel like family, while the beauty and vibe of the place make us want to go back again!

It is certainly off the beaten path, which is great for an escape, not so much if you're going for the party scene of the west end. It is just a great place to feel peace and happiness.

Room tip: As with all locations in Roatan, bug spray is highly recommended.
Date of stay: November 2011
3  Thank IaTraveler
Reviewed 1 November 2011

If you are looking for a remote location that is nice and quiet, Paya Bay may be for you.
With any resort we feel the staff working there either make it or break it for the guests. We found the staff we met at this small family run resort to be exceptional. Jose, Evelyn, Meerna and Winnie we found all to be very friendly, helpful and enjoyed our conversations with them.
Having sold travel for a couple years I know travelling in October is a gamble with it being hurricane season and all. We have won the gamble the last few years but this year we lost as the weather was not the greatest. You can't let it get you down though and you make the best of what you have or your vacation is ruined.
We found the BUGS [ sand flies] to be horrendous. Talking to different people they are all over the island. My wife had a reaction to them and the bites were very irritating to her. Should you go take "OFF" Benadryl and Lanacaine in case you have a reaction.
Bliss Beach at Paya Bay is very private and a great area should you want no tanlines when they have their c/o weeks. There are many trails on the property and you can get some great views of the sunsets.
The people of the Island are very warm and friendly. We walked 3 km on the main road to the east to Camp Bay and about 4 km to the west and at all times felt safe. People passing you on the road would either say hello or wave or honk from their vehicle. We took some soccer balls, pens, paper, markers, crayons etc and handed them out to the kids. The soccer balls were a huge hit.
One thing that concerns me on the Island is the amount of litter, mainly plastic and glass bottles along with other debris that washes up on shore. I don't think the Honduran people realize how lucky they are to have such beautiful beaches.
For the past 4 years we have generally gone to c/o resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico and there are some we haven't tried. We would like to go back to Paya Bay but it would definitely be a different time of the year. Should you have any questions please feel free to email me.

Room tip: If you like the waves pounding the rocks all night ask for a cliffside room. If not ask for something quieter.
Date of stay: October 2011
4  Thank 2fromthewack
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We stayed at Paya Bay for the first two nights of our 7 night vacation to Roatan Sept. 24th & 25th. They picked us up at the airport (Jose is awesome), took us to the Super Mercado on the way to the property, and basically provided alot of history and information along the way. As previously stated, the property is in a pretty remote location - don't think you are getting anywhere without a car! It is very beautiful and different than the West End of the Island. We stayed in a cliffside room which is a must if you are here - the room was clean and very comfortable. The grounds are large, and Bliss Beach was very nice. In general, the beaches were not "raked" while we were there which makes the sand fleas pretty unbearable - take lots of deet with you! We only ate in the dining room once - food was very good and reasonably priced. Drinks, on the other hand, we out-rageously priced - stop along the way and bring it with you!! Tom also offered to take us on a sunset cruise one evening to La Sirena - a cool little bar a couple miles away and that was very fun. They also arranged transportation for us and a mangrove tour to "hole in the wall" for the Sunday Lobster/Steak buffet which was OUTSTANDING!! My only minor complaint is what they charged us to pick up to/from the airport ($60) and get us to/from Oak Ridge for the tour ($40) - I felt it was very high for the mileage.

Overall - I don't need to go back - been there, done that, but if you want to experience the East End of the island - Paya bay is worth checking out.

Room tip: Cliffside is a must!
Date of stay: September 2011
5  Thank dworl1
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We were previewing hotels to bring our groups from the states (www.exploreguatemala.com). Playa Bay was extremely accommodating and the owners/managers were on site at all times attending to guests. The rooms were very nice, and we had one hanging right out over the water - great view and sound of waves at night. The food was fair but the atmosphere was friendly and "family like". The property itself was the most spectacularly situated we have seen in Honduras. With a property this large (I think around 23 acres) it is difficult, at best, to keep it as manicured as some would like, although the walks throughout were beautiful, full of great ocean views, and fun to explore. Also, this is the tropics and it is hard to keep up with maintenance being right on the water - I think they do the best job possible, considering all this. It is a lovely place with lovely owners and we would definitely return.

Date of stay: November 2010