“Eating My Way Through Athens”

South Kitchen + Bar
Ranked #7 of 452 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 June 2018

I make it a point to eat at a new restaurant each trip to Athens. South was one of my recent choices, and one I will definitely visit again. They have a great bar selection and varied menu options. I was hungry, but not starving, so I opted for the choose three build your own platter. Brussel sprouts, red pepper mac and cheese, and duck-fat tater tots hit the spot...so good!!

Reviewed 18 June 2018

After walking around downtown and dropping in a few shops and a bar or two, we were hungry. The bartender at our last stop recommended this nice restaurant. Our server Maggie was very attentive and was even able to make recommendations from a beer to try to one of the entrees. The Creature Comfort, Tritonia was very light and crisp just right for a warm spring day, they are a local brewery and my first time trying one of their brews. The goat Trio was an intriguing appetizer that we devoured. The bar burger is awesome and more than enough to fill your hunger needs, but you really need to try the tator tot duck confit.......to die for! Thank you Caroline at Cutters Pub for the recommendation, South Kitchen + Bar did not disappoint.....

Reviewed 11 June 2018

The building the restaurant is in is really cool as is the food.

This is one of my favorites in Athens it always has good food and good local craft beers that are not to be missed.

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

We had dinner here while in town for business. Only a 30 minute wait and the food was delicious. Location is downtown and just a walk from everything.

Reviewed 20 May 2018

After living Charleston for a year, I had a craving for shrimp and grits. South looked like a solid choice, so I popped in for lunch. The ambiance is great, and the service was excellent (even though I sat at the bar and all three bartenders were insanely busy). Their beer selection is also good, with more than ten beers from various countries and local breweries on tap and a lot more available in bottles.

Unfortunately, the main attraction, the shrimp and grits, were a bit of a letdown, especially at $14 a plate. The grits were wonderful, as were the sausage, veggies, and spices. But the shrimp lacked flavor. They tasted far too "clean" and did not have that big bold "shrimp" flavor (if that makes sense). Maybe it was the chef's choice to go with a cleaner tasting shrimp, but, personally, I felt they just did not have the strong flavor to stand up the onions and spices in the dish. It is a pity since the shrimp are the main feature and no doubt the reason the dish costs so much. I can't help but feel I did not get my money's worth.

Still, the service was great, and some of the other dishes I saw looked appealing (the duck fat tater tots smelled lovely, too). So I'll probably give South another shot.

Date of visit: May 2018