“Expensive, slow, limited menu”
Review of Okoboji Grill - CLOSED

Okoboji Grill
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 10 October 2014

Visited Okoboji Grill for a Saturday evening out with my family. Had a guest with us that warned us that their menu had changed -- no kids options anymore -- and the items were pricey. When we arrived, we were seated quickly (a bad sign for a Saturday night in Ames). Menus turned out to have a limited number of items, none of which were inexpensive, and there were no kid-friendly options for the four kids with us. Kids had to order adult options. Food took 45 minutes to arrive; beverage orders were forgotten; total bill was what I would have expected had we gone to a fine-dining restaurant.

1  Thank DrGuyH

Reviewed 9 September 2014

Okoboji had notoriously slow service, but we figured for a mid-Sunday dinner they'd be able to get us in and out in a reasonable amount of time. When we got there, there were more employees than patrons as they prepared for the dinner crowd. In two quick visits to the table our server had our orders, and served us our drinks. Unfortunately, that's the last time we could get help for the next 45 minutes.

I will no longer give this restaurant the benefit of the doubt. It is truly one of the consistently slowest restaurants in town. The food quality is inferior to similar choices (Applebees, Wallaby's, Dublin), I've found nothing other than quantity of TV's to make it worth my time. They were barely apologetic or contrite when we walked out after an hour having only been served one soft drink, no food, and not even a refill.

Horrible!

2  Thank Keo_05
Reviewed 6 September 2014 via mobile

We have been patrons of Okoboji Grill in Ames for the past 20 years. At our most recent visit, we found the menu has been downsized, which in many cases is a positive, as too many options tend to lead to a reduction in the quality of food. However, in this case some of the tried and true items that have been bringing customers like us back are now missing. Tonight we went to dinner with our two daughters 7 and 10. It was clear from the start that they were under staffed. We waited 1.5 hours for some of our food to arrive. We were told about 10 minutes later that the pizza my husband and daughter ordered was stuck to the pan and needed to be made again. Respectfully our server said the pizza would come at no charge. She was very apologetic and it was completely out of her control. We were not going to "kill the messenger". While we waited there were several other tables nearby that left before their food arrived. One family of 5 put a $20 on the table for their drinks and walked out. Another table asked their server to pull their order as they weren't going to wait any longer. After waiting another 10 minutes we left without our pizza as the second had stuck to the pan as well. We overheard many comments by servers to nearby tables about the menu change and how they needed to change back. We don't come to Okoboji Grill for their pizza , but were willing to give it a try. Not a wise decision! Overall, their current menu makes it hard to find something you order, rather than making hard to choose between so many good options. Unfortunately, this is now a place that will be on the bottom of our list unless we hear that some significant changes have occurred.

4  Thank SusanJSmalley
Reviewed 3 September 2014

I did not know what to expect coming here. I was pleasantly surprised. When you walk in there is a bar to the right and the restaurant seating area to the left. The noise of the bar is not loud and did not disrupt our meal in the slightest. The waitress was very kind and our food was delivered quickly. Whenever I have a want for a good burger and some good fries I think of Okoboji. An average meal is about 15 dollars when delivered, but man it is good. I recommend this place to everyone!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We've eaten here a few times, having liked it very much the very first time on a Saturday afternoon. The hand-breaded chicken tenders were great. But the times I've had them since, they haven't been nearly as good. I can commend their Bloody Mary which they have on special on Sundays. There are quite a few better options for dining in Ames, however, so I'm not sure we'll be going back.