“Downhill with new menu”
Review of Okoboji Grill - CLOSED

Okoboji Grill
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 1 December 2014 via mobile

Friendly people served the food, but it was slow service, pricey food, and they now only have burgers, sandwiches, salads, or two pasta dishes for entrees. I'm not going back.

2  Thank init4keeps

Reviewed 6 November 2014

We used to like Okoboji Grill, but they made significant changes in their menu. The food now is very bad, we went there with some friends and none of us like the food we got. We ordered a variety of things, and none of them were good. It is too bad we really used to like the restaurant, but now we are not planning on going back until we know it has made a major upgrade in its menu.

3  Thank thillson
Reviewed 4 November 2014

We went here for a family outing and had 6 people in our party. There was a icky smell in this bar that needs to be addressed. Husband almost bailed and I just put perfume on before going out so could not smell anything, but my perfume. They have giant tv's everywhere and country music playing over the PA.The menu is not what is is online so be aware. They are printing new menus and making the selections much more manageable. We had the app sampler which has spinach artichoke dip w/tostitos, onion rings, cheese balls, and boneless chicken bites. All were bland. Cooked properly just no taste. The onion rings and cheese balls were "homemade" and they were again no taste. I had chicken strip basket with boji fries. Again no taste even the seasoned fries. Hubby had the cheese burger which was fantastic! The buns were home made from a local bakery and the meat fresh and cooked to perfection. One daughter had the nachos which were spicy and tasty but no black olives, guacamole, beans, or jalapenos. Daughter's boyfriend had the burbon burger which also was cooked to perfection and very good. My mother had the crispy chicken salad which again had the bland chicken on top of it.and other daughter had chicken bits which were very dry tossed with honey BBQ sauce. I would not go back just because there are better burger places in Ames, the icky smell and bland food. The servers here were very attentive and thoughtful though. They worked hard and were very friendly.

1  Thank dragonfeathr
Reviewed 16 October 2014

Me and my mother went here tonight and we were not impressed. Food was okay but bland. service was okay-ish when we finally got seated which took 10 mins to do but what really didn't make this trip worth it was the food choices and how all the choices we loved were gone and we were left to look at a 3 page food page of mostly pizza. So in conclusion we don't think it was worth the trip and won't being coming back and I assure you the decision to shrink the menu will hurt them a lot.

3  Thank Kevkevhanrot
Reviewed 10 October 2014

Visited Okoboji Grill for a Saturday evening out with my family. Had a guest with us that warned us that their menu had changed -- no kids options anymore -- and the items were pricey. When we arrived, we were seated quickly (a bad sign for a Saturday night in Ames). Menus turned out to have a limited number of items, none of which were inexpensive, and there were no kid-friendly options for the four kids with us. Kids had to order adult options. Food took 45 minutes to arrive; beverage orders were forgotten; total bill was what I would have expected had we gone to a fine-dining restaurant.

1  Thank DrGuyH