“Best food in Ames, great cocktails”
Review of Bar la Tosca

Bar la Tosca
Ranked #17 of 216 Restaurants in Ames
Reviewed 19 February 2017

This seems to me like the foodiest food in Ames and it's always good. Most recent meal was the Faroe salmon, which was a magnificent piece of fish, perfectly cooked, melted in my mouth, with pancetta, greens and pasta in cream sauce. Have also enjoyed the grilled asparagus (with an egg on top), broccolini, beets, chicken, fried gnocchi, calamari and various pastas. Two small plates is often a good way to go. Food can be a bit rich, but always delicious. Most reliably good cocktails in Ames. Recent dining companion said his Bloody Mary was the best he'd ever had. Nice small selection of good Italian wines. Nice ambiance too - feels like a place in a larger city. When I don't want to drive to Des Moines or Chicago for dinner I can be happy at Bar la Tosca.

Reviewed 17 February 2017

The food was decent, if a bit pricey for what we got. But we were seated at a 2-top in a hallway (if you've been there, you know where it's at). Not really a good spot for guests, at least not on a busy night. Lots of traffic. The waitress wasn't unpleasant, but nor was she pleasant. Maybe disinterested? Wishing she was somewhere else?
The menu was intriguing enough that we decided to stay. Our waitress couldn't answer any questions about the food or the wines, so we just picked something and went with it. It took a long time to get our drinks, which turned out to be OK, because then we didn't order more. Once the food arrived, we had to ask for silverware, napkins, and salt/pepper.
Might try it again at a different time (a Sat afternoon?) to have a seat at the bar and try an appetizer or two. Maybe it'll be different.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

Met friends here for dinner and meeting. The music was fun and the lighting was dim, but great ambiance. As it was in January, one could see the trees outside lit from the street lights, a look that was kind surreal

Reviewed 7 February 2017

The food is excellent and the service top notch. The bartenders are real pros. Pricing is what you would expect for a fine dining experience. We came without a reservation on a Saturday evening so we sat at the bar, so get a reservation if you want a table.

Reviewed 27 January 2017

Stumbled upon this place mid-afternoon on a Saturday in June. Completely dead. As a matter of fact, the town was. The server (I think he's Swedish?) was also the bartender and very friendly. The menu looks really inventive but I remain a skeptic. Enjoyed the greens with the raspberry vinaigrette and added a piece of salmon. Fish done ok but over-cooked. Still a good flavor, though. Greens were fresh and looked great but the raspberry vin over powered and was more that kind of creamy dressing that made the whole plate pale-red (think cream of tomato soup).
Wine list really interesting. I never thought I'd see Falanghina (a lovely white) on a menu in Ames (sorry, Ames!) and I loved every sip.

Been to Bar la Tosca? Share your experiences!