“Good food, atmosphere?”

Ranallo's On 3rd
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 December 2015

This is a small place with good food! The only thing that keeps me from returning is the bar that can be rather noisy open right into the restaurant! This is the kind of place you expect a quiet, date night atmosphere, only to have a raucous bar crowd taking over the restaurant too!

Reviewed 5 November 2015

Very nice Des Moines metro place for a great dinner. We went there as a large group and everyone's dinner looked great and tasted delicious. Our problem was our server who was very slow and came back to our table smelling overwhelmingly of smoke. Obviously the reason we had been left waiting for a long period was because of a smoke break. This is totally unacceptable behavior for a fine dining restaurant.

I also dislike when servers remove plates to box left-overs for take home. I just feel boxing my own assures me the way it is boxed. This was especially true at Ranallo's when our server took plates for boxing and also for removal from the table at the same time - and stacked them. Used flatware was placed on the top plate of my friend's delicious chicken marsalla which was planned for lunch the next day.

Food delicious - service standards must be improved.

Reviewed 2 September 2015

This restaurant provided a nice, quiet atmosphere. Food was cooked as ordered and delicious. We did not have reservations on a Friday evening, but they seated us and served us quickly.

Reviewed 27 August 2015 via mobile

If you are traveling I80 or I35 through Iowa you want to stop in Ankeny for a wonderful dinner. We started with a cup of green bean soup. Had never heard of it but the creamed soup had a delightful mild green bean flavor. The house salad was crisp and had fruit , nuts and a blue cheese dressing. The highlight was the beef tenderloin which we both loved. Finished off our birthday dinner sharing a double chocolate cake. All I all - wonderful.

Reviewed 3 May 2015 via mobile

This is a great little place for that special dinner with a client or a date. The menu is fresh, interesting and always well prepared.

The portions are just right, and the staff is very attentive and we'll trained. We have brought large groups here, one on one business dinners and date-nights - it's always just the right attention.

If you dine here, ask for a table near the fireplace. Be sure to try the scallops - they are amazing.