“Double birthday celebration for grownups”
Review of Ranallo's On 3rd - CLOSED

Ranallo's On 3rd
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 March 2016

We enjoyed our first dinner at Ranallo's, Early March is my husband;s birthday and our son in law's also. We love the grandkids, but wanted to treat their parents to a nice dinner out without any parental duties, where "No one has a crying fit or drops food on the floor" This place filled the bill nicely. Appetizer mussels have been a family favorite at celebrations at seafood places and my husband proclaimed them the best he'd had. One didn't open (a sign it should not be eaten) but the broth was delicious sopped up in one of the accompanying toast pieces and the cherry tomatoes were a great accent. Salads with house dressing were fine. I had the filet (which was slightly overdone for medium rare,)with de Burgo, which was very tasty.My husband enjoyed the seafood trio and the bite I tasted if his scallop was delicious. Our son in law polished off his cavatelli with gusto and our daughter was very happy with steak Oscar (of which I enjoyed a bite.) They gave us two desserts in honor of our birthday guys, which we shared; oatmeal pie and creme brule, both were very good. The atmosphere was comfortable and relaxing and the service was good. We will very likely be returning.

Reviewed 13 March 2016

Had dinner with friends at Ranallo's tonight. Fantastic! Service was impeccable by our server Lisa who is an elementary school art teacher by day. The ambiance was just right with the lights down low and no loud music blaring in our ears. The appetizers selected were the Baked Brie and the Spinach and Artichoke Dip, both served with toasted French bread rater than the usual pita chips. The house salad dressing is Creamy Parmesan, which was not too heavy on the garlic as some others often are. I had the Orange Roughy, which was very tasty, even better than what I had in San Diego last week. Not bad for Ankeny since there are no oceans nearby. Others said their steaks were great, along with the Sweet Potato Au Gratin potatoes and steamed veggies. The Oatmeal Pie was a big hit for dessert.
If you want a fine meal at a median price, you can't beat Ranallo's on 3rd, right here in Ankeny!

Reviewed 2 December 2015

This is a small place with good food! The only thing that keeps me from returning is the bar that can be rather noisy open right into the restaurant! This is the kind of place you expect a quiet, date night atmosphere, only to have a raucous bar crowd taking over the restaurant too!

Reviewed 5 November 2015

Very nice Des Moines metro place for a great dinner. We went there as a large group and everyone's dinner looked great and tasted delicious. Our problem was our server who was very slow and came back to our table smelling overwhelmingly of smoke. Obviously the reason we had been left waiting for a long period was because of a smoke break. This is totally unacceptable behavior for a fine dining restaurant.

I also dislike when servers remove plates to box left-overs for take home. I just feel boxing my own assures me the way it is boxed. This was especially true at Ranallo's when our server took plates for boxing and also for removal from the table at the same time - and stacked them. Used flatware was placed on the top plate of my friend's delicious chicken marsalla which was planned for lunch the next day.

Food delicious - service standards must be improved.

Reviewed 2 September 2015

This restaurant provided a nice, quiet atmosphere. Food was cooked as ordered and delicious. We did not have reservations on a Friday evening, but they seated us and served us quickly.