“Overrated !”
Review of La Maison Bleue

La Maison Bleue
Ranked #66 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 21 November 2011

After marrakesch where we loved the place where we stayed we arrived in Fes, one of the most magical spiritual interesting cities of the world . We were booked at the , Riad Le Maison Bleue. What a dissapointment!! From the time we walked in! The tiny very ordinary, courtyard, with the swimming pool, smelt moldy and musty, quite off putting! I asked the gentleman who was checking us in that I would like a room with an outside view, he very superciliously and curtly informed me that the Riad didn't have any room in the Riad that had widows looking outwards. After a 20 minute wait he took us up a narrow dark and dank staircase, with mosaic which was actually quite lovely. .we arrived at a room which he informed us was ours. It had 4 huge windows overlooking the road and part of the entrance to the medina! !! A room with outdoor view had magically appeared!! The sofas and furnishing were quite old and shabby.it was a small suite. Bathroom was dark but nice.All in all a bit rundown but charming. I was just happy with the windows!! The Riad consists of more than 1 building, the building attached to the Riad was full of famillies so was very noisy. There was no place in the Riad that one could just spend some quite time reading or contemplating.
A room service request for coffee took more than 20 minutes each time, and invariably was cold. Dinner was a disaster! The first course was ok, my husbands main course, a meat dish, was stringy tough, and came with a long strand of human hair!!!! We called the waiter, and showed him he said 'it must have come from 'outside'!!! We were livid and asked him to call the maitre nobody, came. We left the table very annoyed and half hungry.the service was consistently, indifferent. When we paid the bill while checking out, we saw that they had charged us full amount for that ' hairy'!! Dinner!! And to top it all here was no apology at all!!

Room Tip: For a room with outside views? Lahabie
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Worldtraveller2359
RiadMaisonBleue, Guest Relations Manager at La Maison Bleue, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry your stay at La Maison Bleue did not match your expectations after Marrakech.
By way of explanation, the hotel has three rooms with windows looking outside but not over the medina. As your request for a room with an outside view was not received until you arrived, the receptionist merely meant that the room we had prepared for you didn't have such a view. The delay was due to the house-keeping staff making another room (with an outside view) ready for you. However, we also do not rush the check-in experience as we like to give new guests the time to relax after their journey and enjoy the scented hand towels, stuffed dates and orange-blosson milk presented upon your arrival.
I am not sure how our lush, tree-filled courtyard could be described as ordinary - most guests find it magical - and the fact that it is outside in the fresh air rather precludes the possibility of it smelling musty or mouldy I'm afraid.
The hotel was busy during your stay, and we do welcome families with children. However the hotel has three terraces, two lounges and two bars so there is plenty of space for guests to find their own quiet area to enjoy a book or contemplate the marvellous views from the terraces.
As to the matter of your dinner, I can only sincerely apologise that the incident wasn't handled better. These things sometimes happen, but the waiter should have immediately apologised and offered to bring you another meal. The matter should also have been brought to my attention so I could have dealt with it properly, unfortunately that was not the case. You most certainly shouldn't have been charged for the meal, normally this would have been rectified, however it seems that there was a communication breakdown regarding your problem.
Again, I apologise and I wish it had been dealt with properly as it seems that this negative experience in the restaurant has coloured your opinion about the hotel in general and caused you to write this review.
I hope, should you visit Fes again, that you will give us another chance to host you once more and you leave with the feeling that most of our guests have - that their stay has been marvellous and the service excellent.
Kind regards,
Vanessa Bonnin
Guest Relations

Reviewed 4 October 2011

This restaurant has been veiwed as a top notch place in in the past - having just dined there I could only disagree! The set menu included chicken that was particularly tough, and because we didn't like the ordinary wine that went with the set menu, we were required to pay the full value of the replacement. The venue itself was the usual spectacular Moroccan residence, but that's where the spectacle ended! Sorry, but this is not a great restaurant anymore!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank jrandsk
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Romantic place, great musicians in an exquisite restaurant, attentive service. Fes is a must, so is the Maison Bleue.
Marcelo Rogozinski

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2010

There are two buildings that make up this hotel. The first night we were on the ground floor of one building and were very happy with it. The following morning they found an upgrade for us (without request) and we were moved into the other building to the second floor that was even more romantic than the first! I got a bad cold during the stay and the staff was very helpful-making me tea and making sure I had enough of it. The restaurant had great Moroccan food as well. Overall a very romantic feel.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2009

We stayed here 2 nights and were mildly disappointed. Traditional yet uninspired decor. Poor value (we paid $300 per night!). Semi-attentive staff. Sketchy location. The restaurant was mediocre: leathery steak, mediocre service, tourist trap, over priced. Avoid this place.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeonardoDiSF
RiadMaisonBleue, Guest Relations Manager at La Maison Bleue, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2011

Dear Sir,

I am not quite sure why you chose to post this review nearly three years after your stay as its relevance is questionable.
However I think it's fair to say that since February 2007 there have been enormous changes at La Maison Bleue, both to the accommodation and the restaurant, and I hope any potential customers reading this will have the good sense to bear that in mind.
I would also invite you to visit us again and, in the interests of fairness, reevaluate your opinion.

Vanessa Bonnin