“5 course tasting”

Dar Marjana
Ranked #97 of 994 Restaurants in Marrakech
Price range: US$7 - US$14
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Terrasse located in the famous house of Dar Marjana in the middle of the medina. Our chef proposed you a Moroccan modern cuisine combined with wines selections and cocktails.
Reviewed 20 November 2017

I visited here as part of a TUI organised excursion. You enter down an ominous dark alleyway but emerge into a beautiful courtyard in the centre of this very grand riad.

We were seated next to the fountain and huge palm tree, both of which made this a very exotic and exciting location to dine.

The food was wonderful and very plentiful too. The selection of small starters and bread were delicious, and was followed by the Pigeon Pastilla, which was sweet, rich, crispy and gorgeous. The lamb tagine with fluffy couscous was lovely, as were the honey pancakes and almond biscuits to follow. Traditional mint tea was served as the last course.

The staff and host were very friendly and the drinks were free flowing. The traditional gnawa music and belly dancing made this a true taste of Morocco.

I cannot recommend Dar Majana enough, it was a magical end to my holiday and I hope to return soon.

Reviewed 14 November 2017

What a surprise to learn of the roof top restaurant/bar over the great restaurant downstairs! It was a treat to experience both. Downstairs you have a really fun "touristy" time...great courses of beautifully prepared and presented Moroccan food...and lots of entertainment. If you're lucky the owner will sit down with you for a bit and share her stories. Upstairs is whole other trip. We only had dessert and drinks, but loved it all....just being there and taking it all in. This place is a great one for a first night visit to the area. Highly recommend it!

Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Dar Marjana is a traditional Marrakesh tourist experience which we have looked at but decided was not for us. This is something else entirely and seems to be kept wholly separate from the traditional restaurant downstairs; it is not referred to on the website and has its own Facebook page.

You still approach down the lantern-lit alleyway with a guide in traditional costume lighting the way for you, but then you go up flights of stairs to a very chic bar station then up a further staircase to the terrace.

The decor from chic bar station is very Moroccan Farrow and Ball. There is a fantastic modern take on a Moroccan shisha bar just past the very modern loos where we came back for pre dinner drinks one evening. See first photos below.

The terrace has been done out with very European plank walls and a back lit strip of herbs along the banquettes with umbrellas to keep off the sun. We were taken there in the evening by Gilles and Dominique who own and run the Riad Abaca Badra and we were so impressed we came back a few nights later.

You are given amuse bouches, which were a spiced quinoia the first night and courgette with spicy yoghurt the second. Main courses are Moroccan with a European twist and the lamb shank with honey was incredibly tasty but the calamari with celeriac I had the second visit was equally accomplished.

The chocolate cake with melted chocolate sauce in the middle and cream and sorbet was outside on both nights.

Service was slick, professional and friendly;  we were greeted like long standing regulars on our second visit.

I do have a word of caution though. I was the only taker for what I have to say is probably the best coffee I can recall. My guardian angel was obviously on duty that night because I usually order a double espresso. The single espresso I had was sufficient to have me bouncing off the walls for a couple of hours after the meal. I think that I would still be bouncing now if I'd had a double.

This is another must visit restaurant if you want a different take on Moroccan food. We will be back next year and will probably have to book. At present you are able to turn up and get seated if you are early.

Reviewed 4 November 2017

We had a blast at Dar Marjana. It was definitely pricey and a bit hokey - it is 100% catered to tourists only - but we found it to be a great introduction to the culture, music, food, and beautiful architecture of the country (note: we dined here on our first night in Morocco). The staff was so welcoming and had great personalities, and we found the food to be really good. A big plus that wine was included! Definitely recommend.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

This was the best gourmet meal I ate in Marrakech. Lots of wonderfully prepared Moroccan salads, pigeon pastille, flan, and wine. Entertainment was classic music and yes, belly dancing. Pricey (for Morocco) but worth it.