“Ambiance & Room vs. Staff”
Review of Riad Laora

Riad Laora
Ranked #333 of 1,194 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 December 2015

This riad is beautiful. The central courtyard is small wonderfully decorated, the details, mosaics, decor...all new and Moroccan inspired. The room and bathroom are gorgeous as well, unique and beautiful. We LOVED this hotel but unfortunately, we were unable to get a good night's rest because of the hard bed, and the neighbors (particularly if your room is on the third terrace floor). The staff is friendly but they are so desperate to get paid that you have to basically pay everything days prior to your check out. Also, we were made to feel like we are being rushed out of there and cheated in one way or another. We paid the room and tax fees through expedia and upon mentioning this to Samira and Hassan, they insisted that those taxes are different...yadda yadda, we were cheated in to paying 2.5 euros per person per night (again). We just HAD to pay it because they wouldn't drop it. It's all tactics and it really leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I honestly don't know if the staff is doing this on purpose to milk it as much as possible, or maybe they just don't know any better, but they really do come off as seedy and pushy and just not trust worthy. To add to it, we were constantly questioned about our plans, where are we going, when do we leave, what our program is. You have to leave your room key with them so it made us feel uneasy with them knowing about our whereabouts as it would give them an opportunity to go in and go through our things, which, unfortunately is something we feared during our travels in Morocco. Other than that though, this Riad is a perfect place to stay in Marrakech and if you are careful and wary of the staff and making sure your belongings are secure, it's an amazingly unique and lovely experience.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Maysa J

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We arrived early evening to be greeted by a pack of youths intent on 'helping' us with our bags the three short steps from the taxi to the riad. Once inside the youths then proceeded to shout at us for money. They had one foot inside the door and the young man in the riad did nothing to stop this. It was very very intimidating. Eventually I dragged my husband away from the reception area with our bags and the door was shut. Once inside we found they had stolen my husbands wallet. Thankfully I had just changed all of our money at the airport and had put it in my handbag! They got away with £5 and some change. Within five minutes the youths were back at the door saying they had found the wallet and again demanding money. Again the riad man did nothing to stop this. I gave them short shrift and again moved away from the door. This was not at all the welcome we had expected and it seemed that this happened every time there were new arrivals over the next day or so. We were so shocked and intimidated we were frightened to leave the riad after dark as we had not given up any money we didn't know what they would do.

As for the riad the aubergine suite was lovely and everywhere was lovely and clean. Breakfast consisted of bread and jam each morning with tea and coffee and orange juices hitch we didn't think was worth the money. The room was very cold but they found us a small radiator which did the trick. We had hot water on the first morning but the next day we had none it was fixed by the afternoon of the day after that. Then we had a power cut of around two and a half hours that night.

The experience of the first night stopped us from venturing out for two nights but on the third night we got brave and went out. We were sorry we had allowed the boys to make us feel scared as the square was amazing if a bit intimidating! We didn't try the food in the square but we wish we had now. One of the boys harassed us on our return and again got a foot in the door but we ignored him and went straight to our room, yet again not helped by the riad lad.

We had booked for seven nights but We actually left after three nights and paid for another flight to come home. We had booked it for new year and to celebrate my 50th birthday but the experience with the youths on the first night put us off really. Perhaps we would have been ok if that hadn't happened - I'm not sure though. I don't think it's a place to stay more than a few nights as there's not a lot to do really. I don't think we will return in a hurry although it was an experience!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paula D
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had the mixed pleasure of staying at this riad for two nights. Location is good in in the maze of narrow streets in the Marrakech medina. Quality of rooms is fair. Staff is nice and polite. Breakfast is ok and the atmosphere is excellent. WiFi in the downstairs atrium works. That's why it's so annoying that my stay ended up with an inelegant series of fraud. In the first place they had more than doubled the tax, so they added 4% for use of credit card which was not specified in the online invoice. Finally I paid for airport transfer, and they got me an ordinary taxi that hadn't been paid in advance and that demanded that I paid. When I called the riad and asked them to talk to the driver and explain their blunder, they claimed that I never had paid for airport transfer!! I was lucky to not being in a hurry. A very nice policeman ordered the man from the riad to the airport. Confronted with my receipt he suddenly "remembered" that I had paid airport transfer the night before. A possible nice experience was turned upside down. Unbelievable that they destroy their reputation this way.

Room Tip: If you decide to go anyway. Check the rooms on internet. One is very little, the others is ok.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank StSvendsen
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Booked our first night at Marrakesh just a day before our flight and it was one of the best places that we slept in for the whole trip .... They arranged for a cab to take us from the airport directly to the Riad, then a warm mint tea was served at 3 am ! The room was quite hot even with the air conditioning but i guess if you come to Morocco you cannot expect something different and you need time to adjust to the local temperatures.... All the details in our room from the decoration to the shampoos looked thoughtfully chosen, stylish and unique.... I felt the Moroccan culture in every little item in the room...

Initially, our plan was to just sleep somewhere in Marrakesh and head straight away to the South but then on morning we stayed at least couple of hours in the Riad.... Sunbathing on the balcony with a cup of coffee, then breakfast, then shower.... What more to ask :)

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Nadia-maripoza
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We loved straying at Riad Laora. It was in the perfect location, only a short walk to the square but far enough so that you can really relax. Anything closer to the square would be a but much in my opinion. The weather was beautiful in September so we spent a lot of time in the afternoons up on the roof terrace sunbathing, reading our books. The breakfast was also delicious and the dinner we requested in the riad was lovely too!

The only fault that I can find is the shower in our room (we had the harlequin room). The water never really ran that hot and the attachement to hold up the shower head was broken. A little annoying but definetely not a deal breaker! oh and i think that 'swimming pool' should be taken off of the hotel description...it was more of a foot pool inside the riad, lovely none the less, but not a pool!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple