“day trip to Tangier”

Tangier Private Guide
Ranked #1 of 62 Tours in Tangier
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hello, my name is Abdelmoghit, for short MOGHIT. I was born in Tangier, a city located at the crossroads of civilizations. Since my young age, I was influenced by the spirit of multiculturalism which has characterized this cosmopolitan city. This important fact, has greatly contributed in the shaping of my personality and way of thinking. I've chosen this profession by vocation because I consider myself as a sociable and communicative person. The fact of being a graduate of the prestigious High International Institute of Tourism in Tangier has enabled me as a licensed tour guide with a long experience of more than 30 years to meet the expectations of tourists from different social and cultural background. I'm a passionate about history, art and architecture having great enthusiasm and a sense of humor. I offer custom-made tours of Tangier and beyond. I look forward to meeting you in Tangier!
Reviewed 29 June 2018

We found Abdelmoghit on the internet and got in contact with him per internet. He responded fast and professional. Our ferry ticket came per email and he picked us up at the port in Tangier.
Abdelmogit showed us around and we learned a lot about the history and culture from Morocco. The van was air conditioned and clean.
We had an wonderful experience and would go anytime again with this guide.
Very safe and experienced.

1  Thank sfinninger
"short notice"
in 7 reviews
"interesting sites"

Reviewed 27 June 2018

On April 28, 2018 my wife and I had a wonderful day in Tangier with Khalil. We enjoyed every minute of the camels, caves, markets, and food. We really enjoyed walking through the old narrow streets and noting that everyone in the neighborhood knows Khalil. We highly recommend this tour.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

So far I have spent only one day of my life in Africa, and today was it. Of course it is impossible to experience even one city in just one day, let alone a continent, but I cannot remember learning so much in so short a time, thanks to Moghit’s wonderful tour. We opted for a more ‘cultural’ tour, and although we were sceptical about including a touristy camel ride, that was a fun and memorable diversion (don’t miss it!). Otherwise, we felt we saw something of the ‘real’ Tangier, Moghit explaining religion, history and culture while his skilful driver took us expertly through Tangier’s challenging traffic, and beyond. However, it was chatting to Moghit (who has a thorough and deep understanding of English) that really gave us a privileged insight into his fascinating city, proud nation and the plight of Arabs everywhere. He was proud to tell us he is ‘a citizen of the world’, but is also a great ambassador for his homeland. We are so glad we chose this tour instead of others, or going it alone. Moghit took care of everything, and apart from the superb authentic dinner he arranged (only 15 euros each), everything was included in the price. This surely must be the best possible introduction Tangier, Morocco and Africa.

1  Thank grahamcarter61
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

Booked this tours several months ago. Moghit sent all of the information by email. He purchased our ferry tickets from Tarifa, Spain and sent us the information regarding the booking number, location and times to arrive at the port. He also sent information of how to prepare for the trip by filling out the “entry” and “exit” forms (Moroccan customs forms similar to what visitors need to fill out when arriving in the US). Additionally he advised us on what to do once on the ferry to get our passport processed for entering Morocco. I have to tell you that we followed it to a “T” and did not have one problem. We quickly processed into and out of Morocco. I cannot relay how convenient this made our embarking and debarking at both the Spanish port and the Moroccan port.

We were met right out side the Tangier port facility by Moghit who was holding a sign with our name on it. It was nice because you will find a lot of other venders at the entrance trying to get your business and sell you a tour. We just mentioned his name and every one of the venders pointed in his direction. It is very clear that he is a well respected tour guide and well known amongst his peers.

We were immediately ushered to a passenger van and greeted by his driver Omar. A very nice young man who apparently enjoys his job of chauffeuring tourists around his city. As we drove Moghit explained all the major cites along the way, how they came to be, their history and their culture. We stopped along the way at cites he thought would make excellent pictures and was willing to have the driver stop when we requested additional stops along the way. Omar was quite the gentleman by assisting me in and out of the vehicle during each stop

Some of the highlights of the trip were the amazing overlooks of both the new and old cities. Very picturesque and amazing to see the contrast between the two.

We especially enjoyed a stop at a cafe near the northern most tip of the African Continent. He recommended a customary tea along with a small snack that was to die for! He suggested the local dish similar to a pancake with an almond, honey butter mixture on top. Being intrigued by this we agreed and he kindly ordered for us as the waiter ushered us to the table. The teas was a Moroccan tea with mint and lastly we had freshly squeezed orange juice.

After leaving the cafe we stopped roadside to enjoy the view and get some pictures when we met two young boys with their baby donkeys. It was a joy to interact with them and get a few pictures.

Moving along in our tour we went to Hercules Cave where Moghit gave a wonderful history of both the Greek mythology and the Roman story.

After the cave we stopped to see the camels, were offered some rides but did not take advantage of it because we have previously had that experience and wanted more to see the baby camels and speak with their handlers.

More scenic rides of the coastline and its history before settling at a local place for lunch. We wanted authentic Moroccan cuisine and he took us to a local place in the city for some local specialties.

After lunch more scenic rides then off to the old city and the souks. He walked us through the narrow streets telling us about the history. Of course we were interested in some shopping because as a well seasoned traveler we know that is what the souk is all about. He asked what we were interested in and we told him and he ensured that through our walk of the souk we hit the spots we were interested in. When my husband and I travel we enjoy buying authentic, quality items from the area we are touring. We were particularly interested in quality handmade carpets. Hand made carpets in Morocco are considered works of art so if you are inclined to purchase one be well aware the these items are well made, last a lifetime, are considered art and therefore are priced as such . They are reasonably priced if your know the history behind them are it is easy to barter a lower price (its part of the entire experience).

Let me just tell you that if you are looking for something, he will make sure you find it at the souk or bazaar. (Bazaar is the higher hand made quality items made by artisans and tradesmen)

After our experience with shopping Moghit made sure we made it to the port before all the tour buses arrived and walked us through to the passenger terminal side of the embarking to ensure everything went smoothly

I have to tell you that at no time do my husband and I ever feel uncomfortable with Moghit or the areas of the city we walked through. From the time we began our tour we were comfortable with him and Omar. When we stopped at the cafe and for lunch we were given time to ourselves to enjoy the food and environment/experience. Although he was unseen we knew he was close by.

We truly enjoyed our time with Moghit. He is professional and works hard to ensure you see and experience the best that Tangier has to offer. We highly recommend this tour.

2  Thank Christine C