“In Dire Need of Remodeling!”
Review of Hotel Slipway

Hotel Slipway
Ranked #13 of 97 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

We were picked-up at the airport by a Coastal employee for a transfer to the Hotel Slipaway. As soon as we arrived, the hotel was teeming with locals just standing around and/or wandering around. As soon as we walked into the hotel we were depressed at its first impression. They need to do a serious remodel of the entire place! We then took the stairs to our room and were sadly disappointed in the sparse and old furnished room. The bathroom shower was disgusting with its moldy, black grout covering 80% of the shower. Not to mention it was tiny, took almost ten minutes for warm water, and when in use made the entire bathroom floor wet. The sink counter is stained concrete and looks to be 20 years old and shabby. We also had a table with a missing top stuffed under the sink in the bathroom.
We were told we could make tea in the room that we had a kettle for water...wrong! We had of the makings for tea, just no kettle in the room.
We had a horrible time sleeping due to the noise level from outside. People were yelling, crying, and just loud.
I would never stay here again. We expected far better from a Coastal/Essential Destinations hotel!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

We arrived in dar and needed a place to stay overnight. We chose the slipway as it had a lot of amenities. The hotel did well for us and our stay was good. We had a nice stop over and staff aimed to please. They provided us an early breakfast for our early start. Also concierge took care of the luggage. No lift but stairs wasn't a problem.

Slipway had a good pool but we didn't get a chance to use it.
Spectacular views and a good place to stay.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Slipway, General Manager at Hotel Slipway, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2017

Dear Elliot

Greetings from Hotel Slipway and we are delighted to see that you had such a great time at Hotel Slipway.

Guest satisfaction is extremely important to us and we are pleased that we exceeding your expectations.

We wish you best of luck for the near future, and we would like to welcome you back to Hotel Slipway.

Best regards

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

My company booked me in here for two weeks until I find an apartment to live in Dar es Salaam. I am no stranger to travelling as I have worked in 41 countries! Including 5 years in 3 different countries in West Africa such as Sierra Leone for 3 years. The hotel complex is nice, good setting and I believe the majority of the hotel is quite nice, as I have several work colleagues staying here. The problem is the original hotel comprised 2 small floors or around say 16 rooms or so. Then the new hotel was built on. For whatever reason (maybe money) my company booked me into one of these very old floors. I was in room 509 - a terrible location, right at the top of the stairs above reception and the road and main entrance so very noisy! Made way worse by the original louvre glass slotted windows which offer no sound protection from the AC compressor against the wall!!! A first for me - the seating and table was all CONCRETE, so no way you could use it. No where to put your suitcase etc. I could not stand it after 4 days so asked to move. They moved me up one level to room 606. This room had a quieter AC, but was even smaller and the wifi did not reach at all. The shower unit was broken and the shower head crap so only a solid jet of water came out....the plumbing is all wrong on this floor so water went from burning hot jet to cold every few seconds. You had to wave the broken jet and try to wash with one hand whilst not getting burnt and the crappy shower curtain stuck to you and the floor flooded. I moved to room 604. The wifi reaches, the AC is pretty crap. As I write this I am sat here wanting to sleep with maintenance and a cleaner in my room!! The AC has flooded the room completely as the drain has not been maintained and is blocked. So far from a peaceful sleep after working a day the guy has ripped the AC off the wall and we have a complete circus! Don't tell me i have to move again in the middle of the night.
No i would not recommend this hotel, even from my vast experience across the world.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Dear Huckbody

Greetings from Hotel Slipway and I trust you are keeping well. First of all please do accept my apologies for the below standard experience that you had with us.

I have taken note of the points that you have made, and myself with the team, will ensure that they are addressed.

I also want to stress that there is a room for every comfort level at Hotel Slipway. From your review I can see that the room that was booked by your company, was certainly not for you. I would like to make it up to you when you are back in Dar es Salaam.

Please do contact me on lusinda@hotelslipway.com and I will ensure that you will be upgraded to our new executive wing. The rooms are modern, spacious and geared for the comfort of the corporate traveller.

Apologies again for the inconvenience caused and I wish you all the best.

Regards

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Great value for money and located along the waterfront. The rooms are spacious with aircon, bar fridge. No hairdryer though. Pizzas at the waterfront was good and dinner and breakfast at the Terrace restaurant was also good. Pool needs some work...mosaics lifting. Ideally situated next to a flea market and little shops all around.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Hotel_Slipway, General Manager at Hotel Slipway, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Dear D5477

Thank you for your positive review on Hotel Slipway and I trust all is well with you.

We appreciate you taking your time and we are pleased that your experience at our establishent was great. We agree with you that our product is good value for money coupled with an amazing SERVICE.

Our location is ideally situated on the Peninsula with the ocean on our doorstep. Many restaurants to choose from and a safe area to walk around. 180 degrees ocean views makes slipway a must see in Dar es Salaam.

We wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back at Hotel Slipway.

Best regards

Reviewed 10 August 2017

I stayed here less than a month ago on a business trip. The hotel is very well located. It has numerous shops and restaurants in the area. The rooms better than the Hilton next door and at a much better rate.

The food at breakfast and at the Waterfront restaurant was very good and fresh. There is a gym and a few curio shops on property as well. There was also a karaoke the one evening. The atmosphere very pleasant.

The service was also very efficient. I will definitely return on my next.

Room Tip: Sea View in new block