“Prepare to be positively surprised”
Review of Il Posto

Il Posto
Ranked #51 of 277 Restaurants in Addis Ababa
Reviewed 15 February 2017

Il Posto is somewhat of a surprise. And a positive such. The restaurant - like many in Addis - is located in a former residential house, but the owners have been quite successful in creating a welcoming and well laid-out restaurant, with a laid-back atmosphere. Also, for once a restaurant where you can sit outside, without being bugged by traffic or a gazillion pedestrians.

Owner is Italian, which in my book generally means you may expect an authentic Italian meal.

Waiter and menus arrived fast. Friendly, and attentive service staff, even on a busy night. Menues are not too long to make decisions too difficult to make, and carries starters, mains and desserts in classic layout.

Tip: Cheese in the deep-fried mozzarella were as gooey as we hoped for and tomato-sauce appropriately seasoned. However, the batter around cheese was slightly too thick, too floury in taste and could have been better salted.

How deep-fried vegetables (tempura) ended up in an Italian restaurant we do not know, but they tasted fine, although portion was large enough too feed an invading army.

So generally we though the starters were unsually large portions. Restaurant could scale back on portion size and still make customers happy, and also give us an opportunity to finish both main-courses and still have space for dessert. So - you may find you can share starters.

Of main courses we tried spaghetti gorgonzola (which could take more gorgonzola and less cream) the ravioli with spinach and cheese (what happened to the classic ricotta here?) and pizzas. Pizzas were authentic - and very nice, straight from their own stone oven.

Deserts were also tried and here would recommend panacotta and tiramisu - although tiramisu was a bit too soft, and espresso-taste was more prominent than you may expect.

To finish off the meal the restaurant offers the classic - and home made - limoncello. A limoncello with a distinct punch, and a nice touch and gesture.

All in all, we will definitely be coming back - and hope the chef can find the shelve with seasoning for our next visit.

Reviewed 19 January 2017 via mobile

It was recommended by a colleague but i didnt imagine it would be that nice. In the middle of nowhere, you actually have to know about it in order to find it.

Food is amazing, great atmosphere and lovely owners:) I am pretty sure you will enjoy it.

Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

The owner is very friendly, the pizza is the best. Carpaccio delicious penne with salmon and vodka very good. The tiramisu excellent. We went with friends and all of us were satisfied. O will recommend this place. U have to come and try. Excellent

1  Thank Sheila D
Reviewed 22 November 2016

After experiencing 9 months in Addis Ababa working for a Swedish Company Called Ericsson, I can truly say that I really struggle to find a place where I could enjoy a good meal. However, just before returning home I just had the chance to try this wonderful Italian Restaurant called Il Posto, Chef (Sandino) is a master of the kitchen and he can really deliver when it comes to a fine Italian cuisine. Also her owner is a very hard and dedicated person who just like perfection and as result you have the best Italian Restaurant in town and I would say in the country and maybe in Africa. Prices are affordable. Place is lovely, once you are there you feel like you are somewhere else. Food is the best I tasted in years and the Tiramisu Dessert is by far the best I have tried in my whole life (Im a Venezuelan, living surrounded by Italians in my own country). I would recommend this restaurant to anybody with full confidence that they won't regret it. If I ever come back to Ethiopia (Addis) this would be the place where I would go to have a great meal.

Reviewed 25 August 2016

Great and diverse menu, great ambience, great service, and high quality food. I have eaten here several times for business lunches and with the kids, and consistently get very good, 'home-cooked' meals with very good ingredients. The beef carpacio appetizer is really good as is the osobuco over mashed potatoes. In addition, the tiramisu is fantastic! Sandino, the owner, is very involved in the restaurant.

1  Thank John L