Yebsabi Guest House
AREQU Guest House(Addis Ababa)(Great Value!)
US$45
Addissinia Hotel(Addis Ababa)
US$78
US$71
Addis Regency Hotel(Addis Ababa)
US$57
US$170
US$75
US$61
US$53
Caravan Hotel(Addis Ababa)
US$64
US$52
Mr. Martins Cozy Place(Addis Ababa)(Great Value!)
US$28
Hotels.com
US$156
US$142
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Having stayed at this guest house numerous times I cannot tell express how wonderful the staff is! The breakfast with Chef David is always amazing as well as his dinners. The rooms are nice and clean and orderly. They go above and beyond to meet your expectations

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank amagical
Reviewed 15 November 2012

The hotel staff was so nice to us. The place was very clean and well cared for. We really appreciated the breakfast service - excellent chef (very polite, willing to make food to order if needed - very nice to our new kiddos). Other meals are available and very affordable. There wasn't much to the kids play area, but we were able to find other things to do. The hotel seemed to be centrally located and many different activities were in walking distance. We appreciated everything they did for us and hope to stay there again when we visit.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark P
Reviewed 25 October 2011

The Yebsabi hotel is very clean and the staff is incredibly helpful. I have also stayed in the Hilton in Addis and I would say, hands down that the Yebsabi has softer beds and much more modern/clean feeling bathrooms. The food is safe and good. Our family had some issues while in Ethiopia, the staff from the Yebsabi helped us incredibly! They even sent e-mails to check in on us to make sure we were okay. The hotel is very basic, but comfortable. The rooftop terrace is fantasic, but that is the main outdoor space.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Chelsea P
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Let me start with the positive aspects: pretty much everyone at the hotel was very nice and tried to help as much as possible, some being more competent than others. I'd like to highlight the chef, who always had a great smile, a very polite attitude and his food was overall very good (but only 1 course dinners, sometimes just chicken & rice or pasta, we felt veggie deprived). The breakfast was nice and generous too, you can ask for eggs any style. Most of the time we got pre-peeled, hard-boiled eggs.

We had a medium sized room which was sufficient for us (2.5 people), the kitchen has just enough plates and cutlery for 2, but we did not use it that much anyways.

The location is nice in some aspects, while close to a main road, it is just far enough that you do not hear much of the traffic. That main road is lined with 90% clothing stores, all the same cheap stuff from China. But there is also a souvenir shop, some places dealing in mobile phones and several eateries, of which I can very much recommend Zebra Grill. Paris Café also does decent burgers, but service can be a bit awkward.

The thing about the location is what you are here for … It is fairly close to the airport, which is nice, if you just come here to sit out your adoption paper procedure and you spend lots of time out of the hotel on trips, you are pretty well off. If you came here to relocate and you have a kid going to the International school, then you are on the wrong side of town. I spent about 4h every day in a taxi, soaking up the diesel fumes of Addis traffic to get my kid to school and back.

Now the things that were not that great:

-the noise: While the outside noise (churches starting at 4 – 5 AM, faint disco music, barking dogs) become ambient noise after a few nights, the sound INSIDE the hotel was very annoying. Somehow, the way the place is built, everything said or done in the reception area or staircase travels well to every room. I could hear every conversation taking place and during our time there was also a lot of construction going on, so there was constant hammering. One also needs to be aware that this place is 'adoption central'. So at any given time you have at least 3 toddlers in the building who are eagerly awaiting their visas and start their song and dance also around 4 AM and then all during the day.
-the Internet: in one word: terrible. While the hotel boasts 'free high speed internet' … It was more off than on. Interestingly I often saw the reception people checking their Facebook status, while the connection in our room was not working. Also weird: when I complained that it was not working, no idea what they did (turn it back on, call telecom, kick the router or stop watching youtube) it usually came back within 5 minutes. Do not expect super speed, but when it is working, it is ok. Phone calls via Skype worked pretty well.
-TV: although they have a big satellite dish on the roof, the tiny 13" CRTs in the rooms only get 6 channels of which 4 are viewable. One of them is sometimes BBC. On the other hand there is a big flat screen in the dining area which is constantly on and very distracting during breakfast and dinner.
-Business facilities: They have a printer at the reception but they are very stingy with it. One time when we had a meeting and needed to print out some important legal documents, (and we had even brought our own paper, I as found out earlier that they are very low on paper) the reception lady flat out declined to let us print out 10 pages. I called the manager and she said she would fix that, but by that time we found a different solution. The website advertises 'home away from home' … Well, at home I have a printer … Another thing the website claims: they have is a play room for kids with a trained nanny … The playroom seems to be still under construction (I was later told it is finished, I just should have asked ... excuse me?), but the nice reception people took care of our son from time to time who was happy with the computer at the reception and the always-on TV.
-The fridge is daily re-stocked with water, soft drinks and beer. Beer is at 20 ETB more expensive than at restaurants around the area (usually 15 ETB)

For all the things that were not so great I asked the manager for a discount. She exclaimed that we get 12% off. As it turns out, we already got 10% off because of the long terms stay, so the real compensation for all the noise and the inconveniences was another 2% for only the last 5 days .. Which translates to 10$ on a 2700$ bill. I talked to her again and she was not willing to change anything, would not give me the contact info for the people above here, blabbering something about 'this is a PLC company, this is all that I can do' … I will surely not return to this place. Check out the picture of the neighborhood.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank caipirina
Reviewed 4 February 2011

This is a multistory guest house in just off a busy street in Addis Ababa city center. The guesthouse has a walled and gated court yard and the ground floor is reception as well as seating for meals. Breakfast is included but one can reserve lunch and dinner daily as well for around $5-7 per person. The fare caters to the mostly western crowd of adoptive families (french fries, chicken strips, rice, stews, fried fish, etc). We stayed in Suite 104 right above the reception and kitchen areas for two weeks in Jan/Feb 2010. This particular suite consists of a bedroom with a door, king sized bed (a bit sagging), armoir, desk, satellite tv, nightstands; a spacious living room with couch and two arm chairs; a bathroom with shower, sink and toilet; and a kitchenette with small fridge/freezer compartment, microwave, stovetop, a few basic kitchen necessities, and a small round table with two chairs. The suite is basic, but was clean and spacious enough for me, my husband and our infant crawler. The hotel provides lots of bottled water daily and will restock your fridge with St. George beer (very good Ethiopian beer) and soda. Housekeeping cleaned daily, left fresh towels, and even washed dishes for me once or twice. The staff is friendly and very helpful. They made calls for us for free, allowed us to use their computer for internet access, arranged daily drivers and called taxis for us. They doted on our daughter and entertained her on occasion while we ate.

The guest house is located in a central location, off a busy street with shopping kiosks up and down the main street and a restaurant (the Zebra Grill) within walking distance. It is 10 minute drive from the airport and Bole road area depending on traffic. The guesthouse has a website at www.yebsabi.com. You can book through their site.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family