“incredible site”

US$215.00*
and up
Day-Trip Church of Adadi Mariam from Addis Ababa
Reviewed 11 December 2016

very interesting, the drive to there took about two hours (a bit long) but the visit was great. we learn a lot about the local culture and religion.

All reviews
"camera"
"addis"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 3 December 2016

i went there as a part of a day trip.
it is interesting and leaves you with questions about the palce unfortunatly the local guide dosent know much and there are not enaugh signs to tell the story in english.and it is an interesting story with great potential.my tour guide corrected the local one...
the little museum at the place is not relevant and boaring

1  Thank ems1235792234
Reviewed 2 August 2016

A bit a drive to get there so better to do as part of a day trip; but loved the enchanting feel of the place. It looks like a natural underground palace.

1  Thank Lemoni977
Reviewed 21 May 2016

The journey here is fascinating and easy to do in a day for Addis Ababa. I took a driver and he stopped off at all the villages on the way. The villagers are amazingly friendly and I felt I had a real insight into their culture. On the way to the church we passed at least a thousand villagers returning from a funeral along the road and when we arrived at the church there were burial services taking place. I was the only tourist here and it was a very special experience to witness this kind of event. The church is very special the last of the Lalibela churches and infact there is another church on the grounds that was started but never finished. Yes I hear the churches in the North are amazing - but as this was my only opportunity on this trip to see an underground church I didn't want to miss it. I have no comparison to the northern churches so I found this VERY unique and special. The guide there was very knowledgeable and it took around 2.5 hours to get there from Addis Ababa. so if you have time I would definitely recommend it...i have travelled the world extensively (70 + countries)....but this day out to me will be remembered as one of my best travelling experiences.

4  Thank DubaiAmanda
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 April 2016 via mobile

We did a day trip her along with Tiya and Melka Kunture and it is impressive. If like us you have one day free and thus cannot make it up north then this will give a good feel for a rock hewn church much nearer the Addis. Short tour around (separate entrances for men and women and take your shoes off) and interesting. We used Abeba Tours for the day trip.