“Amazing Indian Food”

Word of Mouth
Ranked #33 of 85 Restaurants in Lilongwe
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 8 June 2015

Word of Mouth is our favorite place to go for Indian food in Lilongwe. My only criticisms is that the food is sometimes inconsistent, as sometimes it is mind-blowingly good and other times it is just good, and the service can sometimes be a little slow. But it is definitely worth a visit as the food is so flavorful and delicious! Our favorite dishes are the Veggie Mahkni, Veggie Hyderabadi and Chicken Tikka Masala. Their garlic naan bread is heavenly as is their masala tea. For some reason the steamed rice is expensive, but all the Indian (and Chinese) restaurants in Lilongwe have it priced similarly. There is both indoor and outside covered seating. This place also accommodates large groups well.

1  Thank alisa_m_h

Reviewed 19 March 2015

The menu is very good. The food is very good, although they can't really manage to serve it very mild for those of us who don't like spice. I have waited for 2 hours for my meal on more than one occasion.

Reviewed 6 March 2015

I went there, invited by friends living in Lilongwe. They had just discovered the restaurant a few days ago... and wanted to go back. I'm not familiar with the town, but it looks a little far and remote, but it's worth going and finding it.
We were a group of 4 and we ordered about 7 or 8 different dishes. All of them were very tasty, with very distinctive flavours. Service was good. I would definitely like to go back.
(if I have to mention one negative point: the naans were not the best I ever had…)

Reviewed 6 June 2014

When you ask people in Lilongwe you hear that this is the best Indian restaurant in town. It is somewhat tucked away in a residential area, as part of a city lodge of sorts (the Country Lodge - not to mistake for the Kumbali Country Lodge where Madonna and Jeff Sachs stay when they are in town. It isn't quite the same. . . Well the restaurant - or should I say the food - is worth coming for, however. While the interior of the restaurant is a bit like a canteen (a common fallacy with Lilongwe restaurants I get the impression) the food is great. Good Indian chow without artificial colours, the full whack of spices, and prompt and friendly service. Definitely coming back. Although, as usual, I lost the battle of getting the food hot (spicy) - I just don't look like I eat hot food. But the birds eye chili concoction they have on the table sorts out that need very nicely. . .