Open today: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Review Highlights
Trip of a lifetime! Visit Rwanda!

I went to Rwanda with my friend ( 2 women) in early January. We had the most amazing experience... read more

Reviewed 28 March 2024
Freedom11433536639
Amazing walk with the mountain Gorillas of Rwanda

Most amazing trip into the jungle! An hour to the jungle then followed the gorillas for an hour... read more

Reviewed 19 March 2024
Mindy L
Columbus, Ohio

Recommended experiences in and around Kigali
from S$1,052.36
from S$443.82
from S$3,737.26
from S$276.94
More Info
All reviews gorilla trek golden monkeys national park once in a lifetime gorilla family day trip tripadvisor reviews safari lodge guide sam bwindi impenetrable forest highly recommend this company bucket list uganda rwanda magical experience tree climbing lions hiking boots kazinga channel
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

I have done yesterday the gorilla trek and has been a great experience.the organization was perfect,my email communication with Nelson was always clear and quick. My guide Gavis was number one,very professional,friendly and ready to satisfy my needs,i was very lucky to find him as guide.I recommend Gorilla Trek Africa and Gavis for this wonderful experience.
U.

3  Thank ilfuco77
Reviewed 22 August 2016

A truly memorable once in a lifetime experience to trek the mountain gorillas in East Africa. We chose Gorilla Trek Africa based on the reviews we'd read on Trip Advisor and they delivered everything we expected and more. Like everyone we were a bit nervous about sending a large deposit in advance but it was not a problem.

Nelson did a great job organizing our tour and I was thrilled to get the chance to meet him and thank him personally at the start of our trip. From the start everything was fantastic. Accommodation and food were outstanding and the wildlife was truly amazing. Walking with chimps in Kibale forest was a great prelude to viewing the gorillas twice in Bwindi NP and Volcanoes NP. I would recommend you do both if you can. They are different but equally amazing. I was moved to tears at both viewings. A real once in a lifetime experience.

The other thing that made our 7 day trip so wonderful was our outstanding guide Patrick. What a terrific guide and just an overall great person. Extremely knowledgeable and always trying to do that extra bit to make our tour as good as possible. His great sense of humour added so much to our experience. Thank you so much Patrick.

Gorilla Trek Africa gets a 100% rating. I would strongly recommend Nelson and his team to anyone thinking about undertaking such an amazing adventure.

Date of experience: July 2016
2  Thank Seance10
Reviewed 20 August 2016

I recently traveled from Kigali to Bwindi Forest as a solo female traveler.
I can honestly say every part of this company is a 10! From the email dialog with Nelson to my amazing hospitable guide, Sam.
They went above and beyond with customer service, knowledge, communication etc - everything is so buttoned up!
I highly recommend using this company! My tour was from Kigali to Bwindi Forest to see the gorillas - the drive is beautiful, the local markets are a must, and the beauty of Rwanda & Uganda is truly out of this world.
Please don't have any reservations if you are a solo traveler - I felt so safe at all times! The locals are so friendly and curious - be sure to interact with them!
Not going to lie - the hike in Bwindi was tougher then I expected, but SOOO worth it. It's truly magical in this part of the world.
Thank you Nelson for EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

Reviewed 13 August 2016

I did the 2 day gorilla tour in Uganda and it was truly an experience of a lifetime. My colleagues in Kigali had already signed up with another outfit so I reached out to Gorilla Trek Africa based on the ratings in TripAdvisor. Nelson responded very promptly and since I had never done this in the past, I had lots of questions. Nelson answered all of them very promptly. I choose the Deluxe Package and I am very satisfied with my choice. Nelson was also very accommodating when I wasn't able to transfer the money before I left the States. In fact I paid up fully on the day of the tour and he made sure that my reservation wasn't impacted.

On the appointed day Krish my driver and overall guide showed up promptly at my hotel in Kigali. I cannot say enough good things about Krish. He is extremely knowledgeable about Rwanda and Uganda and patiently answered all my questions. He really is a decent and humble person who gave me the confidence that I was in good hands all through. He is also a very good driver who obeyed all speed limit restrictions and did nothing risky. The unpaved roads at times can seem dangerous, but with Krish behind the wheel, they never felt that way even once. The vehicle provided by GTA was clean, powerful and perfect for the all the rough roads that we encountered ("African massage" per Krish :-) ). He was also very attentive and made sure that I was well taken care off at the lodge and during the journey.

GTA made arrangements for me at the Bwindi Jungle Lodge. I was satisfied with the living arrangements. The lodge is located on the shore of Lake Mulehe. The lodge arranged for a boat trip on the lake (not included in the package) that I really enjoyed.

The gorilla trek itself was a tough but exhilarating experience. It was no doubt hard work but truly worth it. It was done primarily with conservation at the ultimate goal and I really appreciated this. The tourism money goes towards protecting the gorillas' natural habitat as well as for providing a source of livelihood to the residents of the area thereby providing a disincentive for poaching. I did my best to use as many services (porter, etc.) offered by the forest authorities even if I didn't really need them. The fees are very modest ($15 for a porter) but go a long way towards ensuring meaningful employment to the locals. At no point did it feel like a highly commercial operation. It took us nearly 6.5 hours of hiking and it definitely requires more than an average level of fitness. There was a lot of climbing involved. Of course, the amount one hikes and the terrain is very dependent on the location of the gorilla family, so on certain days it might takes only a couple of hours.

To summarize, I HIGHLY recommend Gorilla Trek Africa and Krish in particular. I plan on returning to Uganda in the future with my family and I will definitely engage Gorilla Trek Africa wherever possible.

A gentle suggestion: Folks, be as generous as possible with your tips. Everyone I interacted with during my 2 days was very sincere and genuinely wanted to make sure I was comfortable. A little bit goes a long way and provides a living to the locals which in turn ensures that these lovely animals continue to have a home.

Date of experience: July 2016
Reviewed 13 August 2016 via mobile

Went on this activity while visiting Rwanda. It was an amazing experience. We got really close to the gorillas which was totally magical. It is very expensive but the cost goes towards maintaining the National Park so is going to a good cause.
There are a number of gorilla groups and you are allocated to one group. A ranger takes you there and you are met by trackers who live near the gorillas and who know where they are on any particular day.