“Disappointing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Khartoum
German Guesthouse Khartoum
Ranked #3 of 21 Khartoum B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We were promised that this was an 'oasis' in Khartoum. If you want my advice then please look very carefully for other options unless you are a friend of the owner. If you are a friend of his then you will be made most welcome and no doubt he will party with you, but if you are simply a guest ($120 per room per night all inclusive) then you may well be disappointed. I found the bed to be worn and uncomfortable and the pillows were not much better. The bathroom was stained and looked grubby although the staff working there are at pains to rectify anything you point out to them. If you are expecting German efficiency and attention to detail then forget it. The owner partied on with his friends until about 01h00 on Thursday night even though I had asked him if he could please move the speakers closer to where they were sitting as the music was very loud in our section of guest rooms. His reply was that he would not move them or turn the music down but that he would turn off the music at 23h00 which of course did not happen till 01h00! As a paying guest I am amazed that his personal life takes precedence, but then again I won't be back so he can continue to run his business as he sees fit.

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank CTownian

Reviewed 19 March 2014

This hotel is the most overvalued and overpriced hotel I ever been in my entire life. Make sure you don't have any expectations of any sort because most likely you will be disappointed. The new owner is new to this business and he obviously doesn't care about his customer's well-being.
Every details of the rooms show a total lack of care and interest. The meals are just ok but they are more to be considered snacks. Please make sure you carefully look where you are walking because turtles's poo is to be found everywhere in the common area.
My friend and I lost thousands of dollars in a terrible trip organized by the 22 years old secretary of this hotel.
Please trust me when I say that you better spend few bucks or euro more and find yourself a better accommodation or come to the german guesthouse if you want to make sure to get the worst deal of your life.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank marcoinvernizzi
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I have visited this place few times while on a business trip in Sudan in February 2014.
This is a very nice place that can offer you relaxed moment in a great atmosphere and very nice music. It is located few minutes drive from the airport and the prices are very reasonable.
The owner of the place is a very kind German person and the main waiter (George) is also there to help you.
I would definitely recommend it to all of you visiting Khartoum.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Arben72
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Great hotel to stay in while in Khartoum. Very close to the city center and restaurants. The staff was very helpful and understanding. Food at the hotel restaurant is also really good and there is free WiFi. Loved the tilapia and fries. I also had a great time at the hotel's fitness center which has a great coach. Would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I stayed here for three nights in April. One of my best stays in Africa. GGH makes it easy. They were extremely prompt in responding to our questions, and my travel buddy and I were a bit hesitant to venture into Sudan. We had tons of questions, about how to get to Khartoum from the Ethiopian border, registration, money changing, and even tour guides. GGH answered all of our questions promptly and tried to get us as much information as possible. They even arranged to pick us up from the bus station when we got in at 11 PM at night. We were shown to our air conditioned room and shown the kitchen area where there was some dinner still left. The staff was always courteous, and made an effort to arrange whatever it was me might need, from sim cards to money changing to registration. The beds were comfortable, the laundry service was very helpful. The food would be my only gripe - always "continental" and a bit bland although I admit I only stayed a limited number of nights. I saw the staff eating some more traditional food for their lunch one day and I really wouldn't have minded that as one of the offerings. I also felt a bit isolated in the compound, but the rest of our stay in Sudan more than made up for it. And staying here was by choice, and I should have expected it.

The other guests were usually some sort of business people, either there for a few weeks or longer in some cases, so a great place to find out about the expat experience in Khartoum, and it was interesting to learn what everyone did, but didn't necessarily see too many travelers staying here that were just passing through, like us.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Been to German Guesthouse Khartoum? Share your experiences!