“Something different”

Restaurant l'Epicurien Kampala
Ranked #77 of 352 Restaurants in Kampala
Reviewed 12 August 2017

I dined with my husband a few days ago. Yes, we found this place romantic, too: a red rose on our table, nice tablecloth and napkins, quiet music, dim light. Service was friendly.

The presentation of our main courses was pretty (photo attached) and both dishes were served hot and steaming – this alone would deserve 5 stars as I find it a rarity in my 2 months stay in Kampala. My vegetarian main course, layered grilled vegetable 'cake' with tomato sauce, was very good.

However, my 'chocolate cake with custard' was served without custard. Instead I had whipped cream at the corner on the plate (photo attached). For a great fun of creme anglaise, it was annoying, it was not right. I could have returned the dish to the kitchen. I did not, because it would not be my style. My husband had an assortment of icecream with liqueur, named 'l'Epicurien'. It looked interesting, while he commented that the icecream wasn't the best.

The prices appeared to be relatively high (a glass of house wine was 19,500 shillings). I can recommend this place for romantic people who would like to try something different.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

An evening out with friends. Thought it would be a usual over-priced, over-promised dinner out BUT were pleasantly surprised.

The Escargots, Steaks and Wine was all great quality............and the service was happy and efficient.

Will definitely go there again if I wanted a more formal dinner with quality food.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Nice Restaurant with outside alfresco dining areas under individual gazebos for romantic dining. Typical french food and wines and friendly service.

Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

The pros : nice setting, despite the loud music from the lounge next door. fairly quick service.

The cons : disappointing food, despite a fairly interesting menu. Started duck terrine was nothing extraordinary. Duck breast was totally overpowered by a sauce too sweet, green pepper was tasteless. Wine list is much too short for a restaurant giving so much importance to wine for its decoration.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

Well I had checked out a restaurant around Kampala and out of the many options I chose L'Epicurien,hhhhhmmmm I loved my lyonnaise prk chops and the cocktail drink. It was a lovely evening I must say;superb