“Great food and ambiance”

Restaurant l'Epicurien Kampala
Ranked #78 of 360 Restaurants in Kampala
Reviewed 18 October 2017

Beautiful restaurant; great ambiance. Would definitely recommend for a quiet romantic evening.
Great food with good portion sizes. The pork was a little too fatty but very well prepared (slid off the bone), fish portions were on the smaller side but also well prepared, potatoes au gratin and bread were a little too salty. Nicely steamed vegetables.
Generally on the expensive side; would be great for trying out exotic French cuisine (escargot or cuisses de grenouille) but for an unadventurous group like ours, not necessarily worth the price.
The service was a little slow (even though we went there on a Tuesday evening and the restaurant was not very busy) but the waitress was pleasant and the food itself arrived quite quickly after the order was finally placed (especially considering we ordered six full meals)

Date of visit: October 2017

Reviewed 12 August 2017

I dined with my husband a few days ago. Yes, we found this place romantic, too: a red rose on our table, nice tablecloth and napkins, quiet music, dim light. Service was friendly.

The presentation of our main courses was pretty (photo attached) and both dishes were served hot and steaming – this alone would deserve 5 stars as I find it a rarity in my 2 months stay in Kampala. My vegetarian main course, layered grilled vegetable 'cake' with tomato sauce, was very good.

However, my 'chocolate cake with custard' was served without custard. Instead I had whipped cream at the corner on the plate (photo attached). For a great fun of creme anglaise, it was annoying, it was not right. I could have returned the dish to the kitchen. I did not, because it would not be my style. My husband had an assortment of icecream with liqueur, named 'l'Epicurien'. It looked interesting, while he commented that the icecream wasn't the best.

The prices appeared to be relatively high (a glass of house wine was 19,500 shillings). I can recommend this place for romantic people who would like to try something different.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 10 August 2017

An evening out with friends. Thought it would be a usual over-priced, over-promised dinner out BUT were pleasantly surprised.

The Escargots, Steaks and Wine was all great quality............and the service was happy and efficient.

Will definitely go there again if I wanted a more formal dinner with quality food.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Nice Restaurant with outside alfresco dining areas under individual gazebos for romantic dining. Typical french food and wines and friendly service.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

The pros : nice setting, despite the loud music from the lounge next door. fairly quick service.

The cons : disappointing food, despite a fairly interesting menu. Started duck terrine was nothing extraordinary. Duck breast was totally overpowered by a sauce too sweet, green pepper was tasteless. Wine list is much too short for a restaurant giving so much importance to wine for its decoration.

Date of visit: June 2017