“Ambient place along the Gaba road.”
Review of Le Chateau

Le Chateau
Ranked #95 of 328 Restaurants in Kampala
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: French
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 3 July 2015

Foods are dependent on your tastes and pocket! Meets more of in terminational tastes, but locals can survive if you have a few more shillings to spend. The ambience is simple great despite being close to a major/busy road. Le Chateau is conveniently situated in Kabalagala along Gaba road, about 5 - 10 minutes walk from the American Embassy. I love it for the relaxed and secure feel it gives. You could choose to sit at the main food section or simply walk to the quick coffee and snack section (which is more affordable).

Reviewed 18 March 2015 via mobile

Enjoyed a fantastic meal with family and friends with main meals of fillet steak, duck, and fish. Tasty and good sized portions. i personally recommend the succulent medium cooked fillet steak.

1  Thank S R
Reviewed 2 March 2015

Went again as everyone is talking about the good food.... Yes the menu is European style and attractive but it's too expensive and again there is nothing special with the food ! No taste at all... I even do better in my kitchen ! Sorry. You can actually find better place in town and paid less money !!! The service is quite poor and people don't look happy at all ! The only positive point : the atmosphere around !

Reviewed 20 March 2014

My friends were visiting from the US and my family and I visited Le Chateau with them. It was all around disappointing. The atmosphere is beautiful. The menu looks impressive. But the prices are pretty outrageous for the quality of the food and the service.

The main problem was two fold: first, after explaining AT LENGTH that my son has a serious groundnut allergy, we were assured by the waiters: "no gnuts." We asked him to discuss with the chef and/or to look at the ingredients of any packaged foods for the 2 menu items we were considering. Yes, this is an annoying, very un-Ugandan request, but it is a health issue, he could die, and we were about to pay a significant menu price for the food. And it would have taken 2 minutes. The restaurant was nearly empty. We had ordered my son's food right when we got there so he could start eating while we chatted and waited for food. Well, shortly after his food arrived and he began eating, my son had a reaction to the food and we had to rush him to IHK for treatment and is now on steroids for several days until his system stabilizes.

My friends stayed behind while we took their driver and headed to IHK and when the meals finally came, two of them were totally wrong. They didn't want to pay for them. Apparently the manager came over and began yelling at the waiter, in front of all the patrons and my friends and told him that he'd have to pay for those meals. This would probably have cost more than he made in a week or more, which--as much as I was angry at his unwillingness to accomodate our medical needs--is still unfair.

Frankly, I see it all as a managerial problem. Likely, the waiter's english was poor and he didn't understand and/or he hadn't been taught by management to be accommodating and careful with orders. This is a management responsibility. I think it is fine (great in fact) to have waiter's with limited English but manage the floor well so that they are not with clients who don't speak Luganda (or etc). Business should hire and train locals who need the guidance on their profession and language skills. But the manager should make sure that the needs of the clients are balanced with that. Or they won't come back and they will write bad reviews. I wanted to write a good review.

As far as the food... my friends said their meals were so-so. Then they packed up the meal I'd ordered and brought it to the hospital. Mixed grill skewers. It was unimpressive and small for the price. Moreover, the vegetables... looked frozen.

Really wanted to like this place. We ate there expecting we'd end up dazzled and become regulars. We cannot return.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

If you want good European style food with a little African atmosphere. This is it. A bit expensive, but the quality is good, the deli and shops around are also great.