“Amazing Place”
Review of Seelye Mansion

Seelye Mansion
Ranked #3 of 8 things to do in Abilene
Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

This place is a must see in Abilene. It is absolute gorgeous and completely original. The place oozes with history and the owner (Terry) has an encyclopedic knowledge. His tours are wonderful and he clearly has a deep love for the place. His piano playing is wonderful as well.

2  Thank beagleshnout

Reviewed 2 October 2017

As a local resident, I have been to the Seelye Mansion many times. (In fact, I previously lived across the street from it.) If you have time during your stay in Abilene, make sure to take the tour of this beautiful home. (There is a sign in the front listing the times, I believe.) This home was built in the early 1900s by Dr. Seelye, using some "modern" elements seen at the World's Fair. Dr. Seelye owned a patent medicine business, with salesman calling on customers all over the U.S. via horse and wagon. The story and history of his business and family is fascinating and the tour guides have always been very informative and entertaining. Included in the tour of the mansion is also a tour of the museum out back, that houses many artifacts from the A.B. Seelye Company. The grounds have been used for weddings, receptions, graduation parties, etc. This would definitely be one of my recommended "must sees" when you are in Abilene!

Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

We went to the mansion arriving at 9:30 9/29 and there were 2 buses already there. They were suppose to start tours at 10:00 but had apparently started early due to these scheduled tours. We waited til after the tours wanting to get a tour in because the web sight as well as the sign at the gift shop on sight states continuous tours. About 11:30 when they finished with the 2 tour buses we were told the next tour would be at 1:00PM. This was another 1 1/2 hours. We had already waited 2 hours. If they knew this was going to be the situation they should have posted a sign on the door. We took part of the tour in July 2016 but arrived at the end of the day and didn't get the whole tour so was looking forward to it this time. I'm not sure if we'll return again. I had told many ppl about this place and how great what part I had seen was but very disappointed now.

Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and I arrived at Seelye Mansion at 245pm to take the 3pm tour. We walked into the gift shop/ticket office and were greeted with a sour grimace and a wrist roll of the arm supporting the watch of the old woman manning the ticket counter. I double checked the time to make sure I hadn't screwed up and arrived late. Nope. I'm on time. Nellie gets nervous and looks at her watch again when I ask if we can get a ticket for the 3pm tour. She informs us that the tour left early because it was a large crowd (6 people we later find out). I inform her that we will wait since the place doesn't close until 4pm. She stares at her watch this time and without looking up asks where we are from as if to suggest maybe we could come back another day. I inform her that we are from a town 11 hours away and won't be able to easily return, if that's what she's suggesting. She is obviously put out and says she will check with the docent to see what he wants to do. I agree to wait. She stares at us like we aren't catching her drift which is "Move along little dogie. It's late Friday and I want to go home."
We wait for a few minutes and then decide that we are not going to donate $20 to be treated like an inconvenience.
We've traveled to LOTS of places around this country and seen better places than this closed down because people are losing interest in anything that is old school.
We traveled over 3000 miles to see 9 states in 10 days. Sad to say we met exactly 1 person who needed to find a better job.

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

We really enjoyed our tour of this mansion. The man that did the tour was so informative and added lots of personal information about the home and of the people that have lived there. It was great being able to actually be up close and see things that were so old rather than having to look at them from a distance. We highly recommend seeing this.

Been to Seelye Mansion? Share your experiences!