“Rainy season in Kathmandu”

Hyatt Regency Kathmandu
Ranked #32 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We ended up planning our trip at the end of August/Early September which landed at the end of Nepal's Rainy season. Luckily we booked our stay at the beautiful Hyatt Hotel! We took advantage of the Regency Club floor and we were greeted with excellent service and staff! Everyone was super helpful! However, Merina was particularly helpful with giving us restaurant recommendations and places to see and eat off the beaten path! With the rain and power loss in the city, the Hyatt was like an escape from not only the noise and air pollution of the city, but a comfortable place to relax and watch the storms over the city! There was also an incredible view of the boudha stupa! I Would defiantly stay at the Hyatt again, and the Club floor add on is a must if you think you will be spending any time at the hotel other than!

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,650)

Reviewed 28 August 2010

The Hyatt Regency Kathmandu is by far largest property and building in the country, several times larger than the next-biggest place...the Royal Palace. While the Royal Palace is famously hideous and lacking in good taste, the Hyatt is surprisingly charming and welcoming for such a big place. The facilities are the best by far, not only in all of Nepal (which my wife and I have traveled extensively) but also in that part of the world. However, the best part of the Hyatt is its unbelievably courteous and well-trained staff. Let me explain.

My wife and I have visited Nepal numerous times and always to go on mountaineering expeditions (3x to Mt. Everest, etc.). The first time I stayed at the Hyatt (in 2008, before being married) I found it surprising that within two or three days, virtually all the hotel's staff addressed me with my name. Now, the hotel has over 500 employees, which makes for a lot of personal greetings, but the only annoying part about this whole "name-calling" experience was that I couldn't remember the names of more than a handful employees. (Now, three years on, I remember most of them...well, maybe not most, but at least 40 or 50). I since noticed that the hotel does this with most of its guests...they somehow memorize all these people's names. It's bizarre!

However, unlike the good people at the Ritz Carlton chain, who are nice but somewhat robotic (kind of like the purser aboard a transatlantic flight who first reads your name off the passenger manifest and then tries his/her best to sound natural when they welcome you aboard), the Hyatt's staff are totally natural, genuine, and warm when they greet you.

In 2008 I stayed at the Hyatt for no more than 5-6 days. Imagine my surprise when I returned a year later and from the bell captain to the receptionist to the various managers, everyone greeted me with my name as though I had left for only a week! Talk about feeling special... But then I discovered a reason why the service is so good. The Nepalese people are genuinely excited about foreigners, owing to two facts: Nepal is one of the world's few countries that has never been subjected to colonization or rule by another country's people, and until the 1950ies foreigners were not allowed to enter the country. My friend, a noted polar explorer with whom I have visited Nepal twice, likened the Nepalese to penguins in Antarctica...they're not afraid of people, they're actually happy to see them (they're also short, which is an endearing quality of most Nepalese).

Back to the Hyatt. Nepal is a beautiful country and has a lot to offer in terms of sights and experiences, but food is not necessarily one of them. There are good restaurants in Kathmandu, and several of the smaller hotels offer good food, too, but the Hyatt boasts great food. First, there is the Cafe, which has an alternating menu and buffet. It's such a huge buffet, both for breakfast and dinner, that negotiating it is not unlike climbing a mountain...you have to do it in small steps because the experience is a bit overwhelming.

Then there is Rox, which offers upscale food and is by far the most expensive and exclusive restaurant in Nepal. Of course, everything is relative, so by expensive I mean relative to restaurants in Nepal. You will not spend more than $50 per person on a three-course dinner. New York City would kick Rox out in two weeks, but this is not New York City, it's Kathmandu, and to get such a wide array of fresh ingredients, including seafood into a country like Nepal (which is landlocked; everything has to be flown in) takes both organization and money. The fish at Rox is delectable, especially the rainbow trout which is caught wild in the Himalayan rivers. Fish is extremely rare in Nepal, so if you visit Kathmandu, Rox is pretty much the only place you can eat it knowing that it's fresh. (One day, my wife and I went into a sushi bar in Kathmandu only to be told "we've run out of fresh fish!)

The rooms at the Hyatt are great and although the bathrooms may not be everyone's taste, we find them extremely luxurious after an expedition where you can't take showers. If you can, get a room with a Stupa view on a high floor. Paying more to stay on the top floor (the Regency lounge floor) is well worth it, because the view -not only of the Stupa but also of the mountains to the North- is amazing.

My wife and I travel a lot (about 200 days a year), mostly through Europe, the States, and Asia. Due to the nature of my work, we usually stay at 4 or 5 star hotels. So far, with the exception of the Kahala in Honolulu and the Sonnenalp in Bavaria, we nevrr left a hotel and felt a sense of regret. The Hyatt is not only our base whenever we are in Kathmandu, it's become sort of a home away from home.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank TimeGremlin
Reviewed 22 August 2010

The Hyatt Hotel in Kathmandu is definately a wonderful place to stay.
It offers all the western comfort that one expects from a 5 star hotel. The architecture of the hotel is simply breath taking and when entering the hotel's area one suddenly feels that all the stress from the city stays behind. From the hotel you have a view on one of the most important buddhist stupas in Nepal.

We celebrated our wedding here and enjoyed the day to the fullest. From the ceremony in the morning to the party at night the hotel helped to make this a day to remember.

Food:
The food was fantastic, not only at the wedding buffett but also on every other day we stayed there.
The hotel offers a italian restuarant, as well as a big indoor breakfast and dinner cafe. There is a bar at the poolside and another bar in the lobby.

Swimming pool and spa area:
The swimming pool of this hotel is fantastic. It offers a large outdoort pool as well as a smaller outdoor pool with jaccuzi. The spa area is very nice and was shown to us when we came to have a look at the hotel before booking. We were told this area was free to use and only treatments would cost extra. WHen we were actually staying there, suddenly there was an additional charge for the sauna, steam room and so on, which we found rather upsetting.

The rooms:
The rooms in the Hyatt are among the best you can find in Kathmandu or all of Nepal. They are spacious and clean. Especially the bathrooms are fantastic, offering a walk in shower as well as a seperate bath tub. The bathrooms offer toothbrush as well as razor, foam, tooth paste and so on.

Pricing and Service:
When we got stuck in Kathmandu due to the icelandic volcanoe, the hotel let us extend our stay by the day without raising the great price that we had gotten as a big group. However, at the same time, the hotel failed to inform us of an available special rate that we could have received for our Nepalese guests. We felt that this was less than professional considering how much money we spent for the whole wedding.

Overall, this was a fantastic event, a great hotel and definately worth coming back.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2010

Hatel itself is a bit separated.
Room nice and clean, you can have it with view on place of interest or garden or reception.
Food national or international they have everything.
Service always friendly.
Pool good for relaxing moment or exercise depends on what is wanted.
Rest I haven't tried out

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed 17 August 2010

This hotel is a major chain hotel near the Stuppa but far from the city centre, which, in this case, is a plus since you don´t have the noise and the confusion surrounding you. In fact I found it more like an oasis in the middle of the chaos :)
The hotel is clean, well maintained and the food is “safe”. You can eat almost everything without fearing food poisoning and belly troubles.
The staff is incridible friendly and efficient.
This hotel follows western quality satndards and it is a secure choice for those who, just like me, avoid troubles on vacacions.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple