All reviewshot waterdurbar squarelovely gardenfree airportclean roomsgarden areaminute walk to thamelmonkey templewelcome drinkroof terracesecurity guardmain buildingquiet streetside streetthamel districtquiet placebusy thamel
Reviewed 10 February 2011

The up-sides of Hotel Ganesh Himal are: The hot water is actually hot, the generator works, staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean, the food is good and the restaurant is an ideal place to socialize and meet other travelers (there are only four tables inside, so during winter time you will inevitably end up sharing a table with other guests).

The down-sides of Hotel Ganesh Himal are: It is a very popular and thus busy hotel. I had booked my room two months in advance and had reconfirmed it as I was asked to, but they still did not have a room on the day that I arrived (after 20 hours on flights). They put me up in the nearby (awful) Hotel Rosebud, and moved me back to Hotel Ganesh Himal the next day, so I was okay, but obviously it was a bit of a disappointment on the first day. The next down-side is an actual WARNING: Do not buy the Chitwan National Park trip at the travel desk in Hotel Ganesh Himal. It is overpriced (they charge USD 120, but you can get the same sort of trip for USD 70 at Potala Guesthouse in Thamel). Moreover, the hotel that they use in Chitwan - Safari Club - is plain awful. It is run by cousins of the Ganesh Himal family, but the cousins definitely do not have the hotel management talents that the family at Ganesh Himal has. In particular, female solo travellers should stay away from the Safari Club. The younger cousin appeared to have a taste for beers and female guests.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Probably 1 of the best places for the $$.
Great staff that is always helpful. Never overbearing, just perfectly helpful. In fact, some of the staff members are nice to a fault. Also, the owners are just really well put together folks.

While they do have a generator, the power was off much more than I thought it would be. One night it was off almost 7 hours. I was not expecting that, and therefore it was freezing at night.

There food is fair at best and pretty bad in general. I had a thing or two that was oh kay and a couple things that were awful. There is so much food within a 5-10 minute walk that is anywhere from 50% to 5 times cheaper. Remember, this is relative b/c the prices of food are so low according to Western standards. I feel like a lot of the money they make is b/c of the fact the people are not willing to walk a few minutes to get decent food.

The rooms are nice and clean. Nothing fancy but perfectly serviceable. Perfectly.

My advice is to definitely stay here and to venture out to eat as much as you can. Come back for a pot of tea or a very simple breadkast.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2011

The Hotel Ganesh Himal is probably one of the best budget hotels we have ever stayed in. Rooms are clean and comfortable and deluxe rooms even have a bath rather than just a shower. It is literally a few minutes walk into Thamel, which makes it ideally placed for sightseeing.

There is a garden at the back where you can have breakfast or meals throughout the day and the menu is full of excellent and very reasonably priced food. We ate out at other places during our time in Kathmandu, but to be honest the food at the Ganesh Himal was so good, it was always tempting to head back there! The vegetable sizzler is the ultimate in comfort food for vegetarians and is just the thing when you've had nothing but curry for a few days and are craving something different.

Very good value indeed.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2011

The staff at Gamesh Himal Hotel made out holiday very special and unforgetable. It is the friendliest place I have ever stayed at. They organised the whole of our time in Nepal and I could not have planned it better. They rooms were cleaned beautifully every day. The restaurant had great food. The garden was beautiful. The hot water was blissful. Nothing was a bother. The gentleman on the front gate through the day had the biggest and sunniest smile that I have ever encountered. My son played with the hotel owners children and had the best time. "Dhanyabaad Namaste"

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Biggest disappointment during our trip to Nepal in December 2010

Despite the reservations for 4 nights (and reconfirmations by Hotel Ganesh Himal) for quiet 2 adjacent deluxe rooms these were not available when we arrived.
And yes: we were mentioned correct on the reservation list, but it seemed they did not care about it at all. No excuses, no sorry, nothing.

We were offered 2 standard rooms and when we looked at the rooms they appeared to be rather small and basic. The (simple) bathroom was even not cleaned properly.

When we asked whether deluxe rooms would become avaiable the next day they simply refused to look for a solution and we were told: you have to decide NOW if you take the standard rooms. Other guests were already waiting to take the same rooms downstairs and we were pushed to decide immediately.

Off course we decided to leave immediately and went to another hotel.

The hotel has total lack of (nepalese) hospitality, disappointing simple rooms and is therefor not to be recommended.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family