“Spacious rooms, good breakfast but awkward location”
Review of Dong Wu Hotel

Dong Wu Hotel
Ranked #136 of 584 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed 4 May 2011

The rooms are pretty spacious, with all the necessary amenities especially the weighing scale which was very useful to us for weighing our luggage before the flight. Service is good, in fact the staff allowed us to stay a little longer than the usual checkout time without any ado. The hotel is located in a narrow street and is a bit out of the way and there is nothing much around the area. We were expecting a bit more from a hotel that has won the tripadvisor traveler's choice award. One other complaint I have about the room is that there isn't enough lighting in the room. The management needs to install more lights/ standing lamps to brighten the room. Other than that everything was ok.

4  Thank travellingislearning

Reviewed 3 May 2011

This was my first trip to Taipei so did not know how the experience of staying in this hotel will turn out. When I arrived at Dong Wu at 1.00am, the reception staff was very friendly and assisted in my check in promptly. In less than 3mins, I was on my way up to my room. My impression of the room - new, clean, spacious, comforting. I was very pleased when I saw the room and knew that my 3 days stay will be a good experience here. Breakfast was average. Not for fussy type because the variety is not a lot. Ok for me and my wife. Over the 3 days, I had encounters with the reception and cafe staff. Generally I must say that they are friendly, approachable and helpful. Although the hotel is located away from the attractions i.e. night markets, Taipei 101, National Palace Musuem etc, the Daqiaotou MRT station (Luzhou line) which will bring you to the attractions, is just a 5mins walk from the hotel. I consider it convenient. There is a 7-eleven store just beside the hotel if you need some bite in the middle of the night. Got free wireless internet connection in the hotel and PC available in the cafe.

Room Tip: Room 505 is street view.
16  Thank Yogi_Lim
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Although this hotel is not in the smartest of locations (though access to centre is relatively easy by bus or underground), it is of a remarkably high quality. The decor can be described as international, conventional four star, and is in good condition throughout. The rooms (we had two different rooms for two separate stays) were spacious enough and nicely furnished with comfortable beds. Our second room, a standard room, only suffered from very small windows. As the view was not great, this did not matter.
The staff at reception are charming and helpful. The breakfast was good with quite a wide range of choices.
At the rate we paid (1999TWD), this hotel is outstanding value.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PatrickBrighton
Reviewed 27 April 2011

perfect hotel for the budget-conscious! We stayed there last March 2011, staff is very accommodating even though we arrived at 3:00 in the morning. Room is very spacious, I love the flatscreen TV! I wanted to take it home. Room has one double bed, one single bed, and one sofa bed.

Staff even helped us write down the chinese characters of different locations for our taxi drivers. Hotel is near train station, just a 5-min walk.

Breakfast is included, but not that great.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank teresaNYC
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We found this hotel to be excellent value for the money. It included free breakfast (lots of selections), along with all the amenities you need. The wi-fi was free and very fast. It was also very close to metro line (LuZhuo line, which allows you to connect to the other lines). The staff spoke English well and were helpful when we needed. The very good metro map that they provided for free was invaluable to our journeys around Taipei. Laundry was also cheap, at only 180 NTD for a medium sized bag of laundry which you can stuff with anything you like (not like most places which charge you laundry per piece), and they return your laundry after only 2 hours!

Pros

Free breakfast
Close to metro line
Helpful staff
Cheap laundry service
Offered free printing services

Cons

A bit far to get into the city centre from the Metro

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank PCTH_PhD