Novotel Bangkok Platinum Pratunam(Bangkok)
US$115
US$90
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$539
US$384
All reviewsthai breakfastfree tuk tuk rideliving natureb and bthai optionwonderful hostsevery morningthe riverthai neighborhoodreal bangkoklemongrass teaper daya wonderful place to staypacked breakfastbts stationhome away from homerooms are beautiful
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I was supposed to make a choice between a regular 4-5* chain hotel in a fancy central district of Bangkok and a small budget Focal Local which I found on tripadvisor and which was a bit far from main city attractions. And this is so great that I chose FL:)

Things which made my perfect stay in FL were:

- Karan, the owner, his family and team, so friendly, charming, such a touching service with attention to tiniest details and my every possible need. Karan knows Bangkok really good and always ready to share tips, always smiles and jokes, answers lots of questions about just everything, gives practical advice about food, shops, local restaurants, Thai custom. He wrote for me lots of small notes in Thai which helped me to get around some non-tourist places, use local bus and order food in family restaurants around the corner.

- I have stayed in 3 rooms as I traveled between Bangkok, Koh Tao and Cambodia: Simply Gorgeous, Sea Breeze and Living Nature. Those are standard rooms, they are small, but very clean, cozy and creatively decorated, equipped with everything I needed. My personal choice would be Living Nature – green and wooden with windows going out in the street where I sometimes watched local life, people laughing and selling street food in the morning

- I enjoyed cheap and quality laundry service and free of charge delicious Thai breakfast which Karan cooks every morning

- I had to spend some time to get to the nearest pier or skytrain station by tuk-tuk or motorbike-taxi (which indeed was also a fun), but there was smth cool about staying in non-tourist place. I could see life of locals without crowds of tourists around, eat in unknown local restaurants, make manicure in a small beauty salon where nobody spoke English. I just enjoyed local life around me, people smiling, everybody friendly and happy to communicate with me and tell smth about Thailand.

It was sad to leave such a nice place, but now I know the hotel where I will definitely stay next time I am in Bangkok – its gonna be Focal Local! I took lots of warm memories about Thailand back to Moscow thanks to Karan and FL team:)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Katrina_Vasilchenko
Focal-Local, Manager at Focal Local Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Thank you so much for your time writing a detailed review. We're really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Focal Local and also the non-touristy area here. We'll look forward to seeing you again some day...Take a good care :)

Reviewed 23 July 2012

I can see why this establishment is so highly rated on Trip Advisor. It is in a good location and the room we booked looked great. Unfortunately we didn't get to stay in it as our son got sick on the day we arrived in bangkok. The staff could not have been more helpful, phoning the nearby hospital for us and contacting the airline to help us cancel our onwards flights. They also did not ask us to pay for the room, despite the fact that it must have been difficult for them to fill it at such short notice. Thank you so much for making a very difficult situation in a foreign country, manageable for us. I highly recommend the Focal Local and hope to actually stay there one day!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Saul C
Focal-Local, Manager at Focal Local Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2012

Thank you very much for your review. I hope your son got better and you could continue your trip smoothly. Thanks a lot for choosing Focal Local. We'll look forward to serving you again one day..Take care :)

Reviewed 21 July 2012

My title kind of sums it up.

The room is too small. The room is not as convenient as other rooms of comparable price.

The location is inconvenient, just to get to the main road is a long walk. Hassle to grab a taxi or a tuk tuk. Yes, the management will get you 1 free tuk tuk a day... but who wants to bug them about that. And what if you need several trips during the day.

Nothing is an immediate walking distance away.

But the service is good. The hosts are nice and communicative.

While in this hotel, I opted for the floating market tour. It's very underwelming. In fact, it sucks. Not recommended.

The room is right next to the road, so it's NOISY at night.

The breakfast is "OK". Not great, not bad. Prefer to eat out.

Wifi connection in the room was off and on.

The area is also far from the major city activities.

I did lose weight walking around alot in the hot sun exploring this part of town, hoping to find something interesting....

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank socalguru
Focal-Local, Manager at Focal Local Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Thank you very much for your detailed review. It would help other travellers to know about us more. Also thanking you for describing about our location. The travellers who love to stay close to major tourist attractions would consider another place. However, we appreciate knowing that our service is acceptable for you....Kob Kun Krub :)

Reviewed 16 July 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Focal Local! Karan and the staff do everything to make you feel home. The rooms are great and clean, breakfast is thai and excellent. Also is it possible to book some tours @ the b&b. The staff and proud owner Karan are very helpfull when you have questions about transport, sightseeing or shopping. This is the best hotel we visited in Thailand. Staff and Karan see you next year!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Sabinee87
Focal-Local, Manager at Focal Local Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Thank you so much. Your enjoyable stay keeps us doing good works. See you next year :)

Reviewed 10 July 2012

My boyfriend and i stayed at FL B&B last may for 2 nights. Since it was our first time in thailand and on a budget, we needed to be accurate on whereabouts, fares and whatnot so the day before heading to BKK i called FL to ask for directions and stuff coming from phuket. Karan, the owner (i believe) and her asst. was pretty helpful , patiently giving us details, options, fares and things to avoid and practically everything. And did I say he's more than willing to help out on your travels and food trips everywhere. he knows BKK very well.

The room overall was very good. Clean towels, clean beddings, clean toilet, and hefty breakfast (for us) at a very affordable price.

Thumbs up for FL B&B, karan and your team. I will definitely come back on my next visit to BKK.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank petrangkuneho

Thank you very much. We're glad to be a part of your very first trip in Thailand. We'll look forward to seeing you again...Take care :)