“Why the high ratings?”

Ranked #35 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Why the high ratings?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Hansar Bangkok was rated nr. 1 a few weeks ago. Now it is slowly getting lower. And this does this overrated place more justice. The Hansar is a well located, modern, very good hotel. But competition is fierce. The Hansar tries its best, but standards are far from St. Regis, Intercontinental, Four Seasons and Grand Hyatt, just to name a few in about the same location.

Not all taxi drivers know the place. So, like in our case, we asked him to take the road between Four Seasons and St. Regis. Straight opposite the Skytrain station (convenient!). The quick and friendly guy called 'Bond' took us to reception. We were met by arrogant people. They tried to ignore my SLH 'friend' status by giving me a standard room. I asked for a member upgrade. 'An urban suite might not be available'. I offered them to show the availability on the SLH-site. Now it was available.

The urban suite is spacious and comfortable. The room itself has a Banyan Tree feel, but it is a copy and misses out on serenity. The bathroom could have been an Alila or Evason kind of space, but it lacks the pure relax sensation which those two brands offer. The swimming pool is ok, but if you want sun, you are not well off. And it's part of a hotel bar evening venue, which can be a bit disturbing.

In our room I found the 2011 hotel directory for the SLH hotels. Back to reception to ask for the new 2012 edition. First they told me it was not published anymore, 'only online'. Ok, will I show you the SLH site again? They now would send the new one up to my room. Never arrived. I send an e-mail with my boarding passes. Again: 'we never received your mail, please send again'. I asked them to open the mailbox and voila...

After our stay at the Hansar, we went for a short trip to Koh Samui. We just did not want to take all luggage with us. So we wanted to drop some of at our next hotel in Bangkok the St. Regis. Without any hesitation Mr. Bond was there to help us again. Big bag all the way into the St. Regis lobby. You can depend on a guy like that.

Breakfast was included in the room and was absolutely fine (but I have seen better at the Intercontinental, Peninsula, Conrad and Banyan Tree). Check out was really efficient.

Next time I want a modern hotel and a club feel treatment, I will check in at the Metropolitan again. They really understand that business. Next time I want Thai hospitality and style, I go safe and take one of the others mentioned. Location is your main? The InterContinental can't be beaten. If I need to come back to the Hansar, I'll ask Mr. Bond to take care of the ugly reception thing if the management of this hotel did not already reorganized and trained it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
21 Thank KeesE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Delft
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed in the lovely vertigo suite. The suite was spacious and service was great! We loved the matrasses. Dinner was good, but expensive. Good location

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Mari3k3
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We were amazed by the rooms and the level of service here at Hansar. Instead of walking up to a desk to check-in, we were whisked up to sit in a comfortable lounge, where their staff brought paperwork to us for check-in. We got upgraded to an amazing suite. The free mini-bar was very nice, as well as the fresh fruit. The shower area was very large and had great water pressure. The bed was very comfortable. The spa was also excellent, and my husband and I got long luxurious massages. The breakfast was free with a small buffet and free a la carte dishes as well. The hotel was conveniently located to the train station and to a large modern mall with lots of restaurants. It was a perfect place to stay!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Overall the Hansar is a very nice hotel and comparable to other places I have stayed in Bangkok before. Overall standards in BK are very high and the Hansar follows that. Service was good, staff are friendly and asnswered every query we had.

The rooms are large and well equipped. Interesting 'urban gardens' in the rooms but not sure if it is just a gimmick. Liked the small touches, like the ability to plug your iphone/ipad into the phone next to the bed to play music or charge overnight.

Breakfast is a semi buffet/ a la carte option and provides a good selection and is comparable to any other similar ranked hotels. I did not use the other restaurants but did use room service. The room service menu is somewhat limited but the food is good.

Location is good, in a central location a few minutes from the sky train so everywhere is accessible. Taxi's are not that familiar with the place but the hotel gives you a card to show taxi drivers and we had no issues.

The pool is nice, it is small as others comment but not that many people use it anyway. I enjyed spending some time by the pool each day after sightseeing and enjoying the happy hour there. It does not get much directlight due to surrounding buildings but to some that is a good thing and others it is not.

Only small negatives:
- Hotel transfer uses the airport car service so you can in theory just turn up and get the service yourself. We also had to wait for the car for 20 minutes as it wasn't ready. If I book a car, I expect it to be waiting for me and not the other way around. I'd probably use a taxi next time, plenty of them waiting!
- I asked for some advice from the concierge service on getting to a restaurant and followed their suggestion. The 10 minute walk turned out to be 30 and we were 20 mins late and dripping in sweat.

I do recommend the hotel and I would consider staying there again in future. However Bangkok has a wealth of choice of top class hotels so the standard everywhere is very high.

Room Tip: The hotel is amoungst other buildings so if you want more natural light then ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Itabashi, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I was been there 3 nights this week. I was there because so many great reviews. Yes the hotel is very good, but how to say it's the best in Bkk? I was wonder ! The hotel is very nice, the room was really pretty and clean, urban suite with a superb view and balcony!!!great the bell boys group, very helpfull and really willing to help, but all the other staff are not at the same level!!! Internet is improving but right now not more that average...the mini bar( for free) was never refilled, they forgot some amenities a couple of days...nothing important, of course but... I'm expecting more from number 1 in Bkk!( breakfast is excellent, room service so so, and at the coffee shop close to entrance ..staff very lazy...) Briefly: Hansar is a very good place, but not the number one :) , go there, you will be content and you will like it, but it's not the best !

• Stayed March 2012