We love Bangkok! After our stay in Hong Kong we were on our way to Koh Samui. But first a couple of days shopping and sight seeing in Bangkok were the order of the day. No drama at the airport this time we were delivered to the hotel by our driver and checked in through the large and impressive reception area. All very straight forward and quick. What a great position for a hotel! Right by the city centre and on the bank of the river, for a moment I thought the driver had taken a wrong turn as the approach rd to the hotel seemed to go through a back alley and an abandoned factory area but hey, remember, this is BangKok!
Up to the tenth floor, and in to our "River view" room. A good size, with a huge bed (again!) well equipped with flat screen T.V. etc. The bathroom was adaquate, but not over large. ( no separate shower) and a little worn, I.E. the sink plug would not seal and the shower head would not stay in place.
The view over the river towards the city was amazing. On the water Long tail boats, passenger ferries, huge rice and concrete barges vied with hotel shuttle boats and tourist speed boats throughout the daytime ( and into the night too!)
Breakfast, buffet style, in the resturaunt overlooking the river was excellent, both for the meat eater in me, and with enough variety to satisfy the vegetarian too. I must mention a great gadget I spotted, an automatic American pancake maker! Press the button, and 45 seconds later it excretes (Sorry, it does!) two fresh hot pancakes on your plate. Loads of crispy bacon and maple syrup for me please!
As well as position we also chose this hotel for it's pool, or should I say it's two pools. There is a fair size rectangular lap pool. We had been were told this was available 24 hrs, however this proved not to be so. Below, in the hotel garden there is a relaxing orchid themed family pool. Complete with bar area and plenty of sun loungers. If you go down early in the morning look out for the peacocks and the squirrels. Not to mention the odd baby water monitor lizard too!
Right next to the hotel ( indeed with a connecting floor) is the River City centre. A very new and, when we were there not quite finished shopping mall. They seem to specialise in grand garden architecture here. If you want a five ton Buddha for your back yard you will find it here! There are plenty of retail opportunities for the ordinary shopper too, with a very nice gift/ souvenir shop and rather than pinching that hotel bath robe, visit Green Cotton on the 1st floor and get one in the right size. (For about 300 Baht!)
Would we stay here again? Most definitely. My wife could not stop looking out at the view! Of course you could pay twice as much and stay at The Laboua, but can you look out and see it across the city horizon when you do?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the legendary Chao Phraya River with exquisite views, we offer a pleasant combination of warm Thai hospitality and world-class service in a modern setting just minutes from Bangkok's business districts, entertainment, and attractions. Enjoy the refined style and modern comforts of a relaxing riverside hotel. Take time out at our two pools or book a spa treatment, discover exciting cuisine in our restaurants and bars, or experience memorable events in 22 unrivaled function rooms. All 726 of our spacious guest rooms and suites boast spectacular panoramic river views. Revel in the warm, calming, and contemporary ambiance of these well-appointed accommodations with a subtle Thai style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood APAC, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Expedia and TripOnline SA so you can book your Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel And Towers
- Sheraton Royal Orchid
- Sheraton Bangkok
- Royal Orchid Sheraton Bangkok
- Bangkok Sheraton