“Superb position, great breakfast too!”

Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers
Ranked #71 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 4 May 2012

We love Bangkok! After our stay in Hong Kong we were on our way to Koh Samui. But first a couple of days shopping and sight seeing in Bangkok were the order of the day. No drama at the airport this time we were delivered to the hotel by our driver and checked in through the large and impressive reception area. All very straight forward and quick. What a great position for a hotel! Right by the city centre and on the bank of the river, for a moment I thought the driver had taken a wrong turn as the approach rd to the hotel seemed to go through a back alley and an abandoned factory area but hey, remember, this is BangKok!
Up to the tenth floor, and in to our "River view" room. A good size, with a huge bed (again!) well equipped with flat screen T.V. etc. The bathroom was adaquate, but not over large. ( no separate shower) and a little worn, I.E. the sink plug would not seal and the shower head would not stay in place.
The view over the river towards the city was amazing. On the water Long tail boats, passenger ferries, huge rice and concrete barges vied with hotel shuttle boats and tourist speed boats throughout the daytime ( and into the night too!)
Breakfast, buffet style, in the resturaunt overlooking the river was excellent, both for the meat eater in me, and with enough variety to satisfy the vegetarian too. I must mention a great gadget I spotted, an automatic American pancake maker! Press the button, and 45 seconds later it excretes (Sorry, it does!) two fresh hot pancakes on your plate. Loads of crispy bacon and maple syrup for me please!
As well as position we also chose this hotel for it's pool, or should I say it's two pools. There is a fair size rectangular lap pool. We had been were told this was available 24 hrs, however this proved not to be so. Below, in the hotel garden there is a relaxing orchid themed family pool. Complete with bar area and plenty of sun loungers. If you go down early in the morning look out for the peacocks and the squirrels. Not to mention the odd baby water monitor lizard too!
Right next to the hotel ( indeed with a connecting floor) is the River City centre. A very new and, when we were there not quite finished shopping mall. They seem to specialise in grand garden architecture here. If you want a five ton Buddha for your back yard you will find it here! There are plenty of retail opportunities for the ordinary shopper too, with a very nice gift/ souvenir shop and rather than pinching that hotel bath robe, visit Green Cotton on the 1st floor and get one in the right size. (For about 300 Baht!)
Would we stay here again? Most definitely. My wife could not stop looking out at the view! Of course you could pay twice as much and stay at The Laboua, but can you look out and see it across the city horizon when you do?

Room Tip: Get down to the pool early and enjoy the wild life!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NCJ1962
Write a ReviewReviews (4,717)

Reviewed 3 May 2012

There are 3 good things about Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers: (1) excellent service: all the staff there try their best to accommodate to requests, and they are all very pleasant. (2) the hotel has its own boat that goes across the river to the Saphan Taksin BTS train. In the afternoon, when you board the boat back to the hotel, the staff will give you a nice cold towel plus a small cup of water to drink. Once again, it's the great service of the people who work in this hotel that matters. (3) the International Herald Tribune is delivered to the room (except on weekends).
When it comes to the rooms, they are very standard like all chain hotels in the world. It is the McDonaldization of the hotels around the world: just like the fast food burgers that taste alike all over the world, the room I stayed in (which was an upgrade because I stayed 4 nights) looked like I was not in Thailand, that I was in a generic hotel. Many guests like this kind of predictability & sameness but for me, months later after my stay, I will have no recollection or memory of the experience in the room.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We enjoyed the Royal Orchid Sheraton for our family's first visit to Bangkok for several reasons:

- great river views and proximity to Chao Praya express and hotel shuttle to Skytrain
- terrific garden pool.to relax in after a hot day of sightseeing
- close (by taxi) to many attractions
- walking distance to Chinatown
- lots of nearby dining options (either street food in front of the hotel or over the river to Be My Guest restaurant next to the Hilton)

All the hotel staff were friendly with us and our children and very helpful. We did not dine at any of the Sheraton restaurants as the prices were simply ridiculous even for a hotel property. Our room was clean and comfortable for our family of 4.The magnificent river and Thonburi view were so wonderful. Instead of TV we tuned in to the river show every morning and evening!

We will definitely return next time we are in Bangkok.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Knottsaway
Vikram_Mujumdar, Manager at Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Dear Knottsaway,
Thanks for staying with us and your positive review. We are glad you and your children enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

I had a very difficult time picking hotels in Bangkok but since I am with a couple of people who had never been to Thailand, I decided on the river side - The Sheraton Royal Orchid with affordable price for the other two visitors and relied on the nice reviews on TripAdvisor that it had been wonderfully renovated...I was disappointed with the information.

However here are the final points:

The Great Points:
1- Great Breakfast with all the imaginable options very generous buffet
2- Great view in all rooms to the river of the Kings ( Chao Phraya).
3- Great Location for tourists interested in seeing temples, Grand Palace, museums and old buildings, photography etc.
4- Fairly good side rooms.
5- Excellent Doormen and Concierge Desk - friendly and kind
6- Near the river for night dining or dining on a boat
7- Great comfortable bed/sleep quality - Sheraton Standard
8- In April, there is no smells at all from the river which used to smells a lot
9- OUTSTANDING SPA - MANDARA - beautifully decorated and good staff.

Low points:

1- Very rude night staff with sharp mouth/ offensive lady who tried to blame a mistake made by their college on me! They should thanked me for having saved the day. (I am polite including on the phone with anyone let alone with the people of Thailand who are normally wonderfully polite, kind and helpful!).
2- Unprepared check in desk staff who was inexperienced? (could be new)
3- It is very far from any business or shopping area which is one of the must do in Thailand.
4- Very basic amenities ( suggest you bring / buy your own liquid soap if you like those).

So unless you are planning to spend all your time around the temples and grand palace or outside and not meeting people or do any shopping - this is OK.

I look forward to see the improvements by the newly arrived manager. It could be better when the hotel received the 'soul and glow' back. Good luck.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank TWWS

Dear TWWS,
Thanks for your detailed review and rating. I was pleased to see the highlights and great points you captured in your review. It was disappointing to read that the noted low points. Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences caused, particularly if the matter was not handled properly. I ask if you can contact me directly at assistant.rosh@sheraton.com with more information for follow up and we hope to reassure you of our commitment to provide better service and to ensure a more memorable stay.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed here in December 2010 with my wife. We stayed in one of the Junior suites. It was a good sized suite for just the 2 of us, however I wouldn't recommend it for families with older children. The service and facilities were definitely up to Starwood standards. The only problem I had during our stay was the location of the hotel. Since it was located away from the centre of the city, we had to use taxis or the riverboat that the hotel provided (which was beautiful, I might add). If you are planning on going out on daily excursions and will only use the hotel at the end of the day, then this would be a good place, however if you plan on doing a lot of back and forth, it may be a bit of a hassle.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Ernieinjapan,
Thanks for staying with us in December and your review. We are glad you enjoyed the services and facilities and that you found the Hotel shuttle boat to be great.