5,352 results
All reviews the river garden pool towers lounge shuttle boat thai restaurant swim up bar the club lounge hotel boat river view room chao phraya free boat our honeymoon breakfast buffet skytrain station high floor wat arun easy access
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Sort of forced to stay in this hotel because Royal Meridien (sister hotel under SPG) claimed "system error", so there was over-booking and they decided to "sell" my room. Anyway, since I was staying for 1 night only and Royal Meridien had arranged a limo for my transfer tomorrow, i did not make a big fuss out of it. This hotel gave me a room at tower block with lounge access. As I checked-in quite late,never really have time to check out facilities. Overall, hotel is nicely appointed. Room size is decent, bed is comfy and internet speed is OK. The hotel is located on Chao Phraya River bank, good view but is a bit out of the way. If you want to do some shopping/sight-seeing, there isn't much within walking distance. You probably have to catch the hotel shuttle / river cruise. There is a shopping complex next door but most of the shops were closed around 8pm (not sure why) and the choices are limited. There are a few selection of restaurants around the hotel. For breakfast, standard continental with decent selection. Check-in & check-out is smooth and staff is courteous.

Room tip: Choose room with river view and higher floor.
Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank SSK77
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Dear SSK77,

Thank you for your review and stay at our hotel on this trip. We are glad you liked the views, and found the check in and out process smooth as well that our associates were courteous. As you have correctly noted, there are no shopping malls within walking distance of the hotel but are a taxi ride away. We appreciate your detailed review, four star rating and stay.

Regards,

Vikram

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Good location on the river, this is an older hotel which is still in good shape, and very busy.

As a leisure traveller though, this is likely to be my last stay here because it really IS just an impersonal business hotel, in a stunningly beautiful riverside location.

Barely a smile from any staff at any stage of my three night stay, although thoroughly professional, they all looked stressed and robotic, not at all relaxed.

The room I booked was to be a Deluxe Premium Riverview, and I guess that is what I got in room 2501? The views from here are wonderful, and always changing. So relaxing to be able to look out over the river and to the west beyond. The room itself, although not large, was comfortable and adequate in most respects.

The bathroom was quite spacious, with tub and separate shower. The toilet pedestal though is thoughtlessly positioned, right against the wall, with two toilet roll dispensers fixed exactly where your leg/knee might normally rest. So if you're any larger than a child, you virtually have to sit on a 45 deg angle to use it.

Towels are surprisingly small, perhaps also adequate for children, but that's about all. Complimentary amenities were about what you would expect, and in my room the rain shower didn't work, which didn't worry me, I just used the other shower head.

The standard free water issue in Thai hotels is 2 bottles per day, here you get 6 x 350ml bottles, which is useful if you intend to use the kettle, or coffee percolator positioned in the room. No bottle opener provided with the mini bar meant a call to room service if I wanted to enjoy the Bacardi breezers I'd bought from the 7-11 nearby.

The room had a DVD player, but if you've bought your dvd's locally, there is no dedicated remote control, so no way of using the menu function to change the language from Thai to English, this despite what the "how to use it" guide said. The LCD TV is fixed in place so it's really only viewable if you are laying in bed.

Finally the room lighting was a pain. To turn off the main lights, you had to switch off the master. BUT if you switched off the master, you couldn't illuminate the bedside reading lamps (only the lamp on the writing desk would work with the main lights switched off). It just seems like not enough thought has gone into the design and functionality of the room.

As for the bed... if there is one thing Sheraton normally do well, it's bedding. This was a very comfortable sleep and I'd give it 8/10.

Breakfast was substantial and tasty, with enough options to tempt all comers. It was very popular with guests too, so a pretty hectic breakfast sitting, with staff coping professionally, but it's not a place you would relax and linger over your morning newspaper.

The in room wifi rates were expensive, 214฿ per hour, 470฿ per day, 1284฿ for 3 days, or a mind boggling 2568฿ for a week. Yes ONE hour of free wifi was available in the lobby @ the link, big deal. Funny that the international chains seem to be the only hotels that still try to gouge their guests for wifi fees, while many many good hotels in Thailand offer their wifi to guests on a complimentary basis.

The Sheraton's very own free river shuttle (the most luxurious of all the hotel shuttle boats on the Chao Phraya) is a real feature for the hotel. Expect to be offered a cold drink of water and even a freezing cold towel for the short comfortable trip to/from Central Pier. The shuttle runs every half hour starting at 10am from the private pier which can be accessed from the lobby, it runs throughout the day until the last trip at 10pm.

When coming back from Central Pier, go to the landing on the furthermost left hand side. From here the shuttle also departs every 30 minutes from 10.10am, with the last run home to the hotel at 10.10pm. Of course from Central pier you can access the entire city by either using either the Chao Phraya River boats (orange flag - Cost 15฿, just get on board and pay the lady when she comes around shaking her money tin - this takes you all the way to Nonthaburi), as well as the BTS Skytrain from Saphan Taksin BTS station upstairs (which interchanges with the MRT Subway, and the ARL Airport Link).

If you're interested in a few hours around the markets at River City, there is a free shuttle boat from this pier (every 30 minutes or so in the afternoon/evenings).

If you're coming home late, go down to street level from Saphan Taksin BTS, and hail a moving taxi. Lean in and tell the driver "Sheh-lah-ton", if he nods his head, hop in and the metered fare is unlikely to go above 40฿ for the very short trip. After midnight when the BTS stops, you'll have to use the same method with taxis from where ever you are. If the driver wants to negotiate a flat rate, wave him on and hail the next taxi.

Upon checkout I was moving on to a different hotel in Bangkok, but none of the 5 or 6, good-for-nothing taxi drivers loitering around the hotel entrance wanted to know. So just tell the doorman where you are going and have him wave down a passing taxi for you. Insist on the meter if they don't have it going (starting at 35฿) already. The doorman will write down the registration number of he taxi on a card and give it to you. It's for you, not the driver, hold it until you arrive at your destination safely, you can use it to to track him down if you leave something in the cab.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank Fourb2
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Dear Fourb2,

Thank you for your stay and detailed review including transportation options and tips which other readers will find useful. We would also like to thank you for your positive comments and valuable feedback and I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in more detail about your experiences during your stay to improve our overall services. I can be reached at assistant.rosh@sheraton.com .

Regards,

Vikram

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed at this hotel for three nights in June 2012. The hotel is really lovely, great reception, nice restaurants and amazing buffet breakfast.
Recommend both the Thai and the Italian restaurants in the hotel if you don't fancy venturing out.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton for about three weeks while on business in Bangkok at the recommendation of a colleague and SPG Platinum member. The hotel was excellent, but the service was outstanding. We were greeted by the conciege who escorted us to our floor. Three days later I happened to meet him in the lift going back to my room. He remembered my name. He knew my floor number and when I look confused he told me my room number. He then told me the names of the two other people I was working with and after asking him he also knew their room number. This is more than the usual hotel service and makes your stay at a hotel feel special.

The hotel arranged for cars to take us to the client site and when we ventured out in the evening they wrote down the number of the taxi we got into for security, wrote down in Thai the place we were going to and gave us details to give to the return taxi driver how to get back to the hotel.

The hotel has a great aspect overlooking the river and it's amusing to watch the little boats tearing up and down the waterway and the large barges being pulled by the smallest boat possible. The poolside bar was calm and relaxed and had two great pools. The gym is excellent (for a hotel gym) and never too busy.

Food was outstanding - if you like buffet dining then bring your appetite because the selection is vast and all very tasty. They also have restaurant dining options and the seated Thai restaurant on the first floor also does a floor show in the evenings which I'd recommend. The bar on the ground floor is expensive for drinks when the shopping centre next door has a roof-top bar with an amazing view with a beer costing 90Baht.

The rooms were business-like and functional and what you expect of the Sheraton brand and spacious enough. Internet was responsive and the curtains completely blacked out the room. The bed was supremely comfortable and I slept well and typically I struggle being in a strange bed far from home.

I would recommend this hotel for business travellers or those that like to get out of the hustle and bustle of Bangkok.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank muddyrider_mark
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed at Royal Orchid Sheraton for 3 nights on our 4th visit to Bangkok. 4 different hotels and we will likely return to this one. Great views over the river and easy to get to any part of Bangkok. River taxis available right outside the hotel, free shuttle to Saphan Taksin to catch Skytrain or cheap and plentiful taxis.
Check-in took minutes, as did check-out and luggage delivered within 3 minutes Rooms are nice although we didn't spend much time in it, bed was one of best hotel beds I've slept in with comfortable pillows, although I know this is a personal taste. Didn't eat at hotel, preferring to use more 'local' type eateries or MBK food-court.

Date of stay: June 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple