The Sukhothai Bangkok
US$256
US$223
Hotels.com
2,727 results
All reviewschocolate buffetthai restaurantzuk barbeautiful hoteldeluxe suitesathorn roadhealth clubbusy citycoffee machinethe banyan treebusiness districtluxury hotelpool sidef bfour seasonsour honeymoonceladon
Reviewed 24 July 2006

I won't add much to what has already been written, so I'll be brief.

Start with the pluses:
-Stayed in a basic room and there were a few things in need of attention, but overall the room is nice and comfortable. The B&O TV is a nice touch, the dark tiled bathroom is very cool.
-Staff is attentive and very nice, but they are like that everywhere in Bangkok that I've ever been, its Thai hospitality and should be expected.
-Pool and spa are both very nice, service is first class.
-Celadon is outstanding, best Thai food I have had in Bangkok, and a close second is Baan Khanitha which is about a 10 minute walk down Sathorn Road outside the hotel.
-10 minutes in the other direction is a big night market which is worth seeing.

Minuses:
-Very noisy rooms! I couldn't believe how easily noise traveled in from the outside. I think if you are in suites you are in good shape as these are in a carpeted hallway while the regular rooms are basically open to the outside world (albeit behind some lattice work) and outside concrete hallways. For instance:
-There was some major construction going on outside our side of the hotel (the bldg immediately behind the main lobby) starting at 7 am on both Saturday and Sunday morning. Talking about jackhammers and the like, no way to sleep through this!
-I also heard a guy talking on his mobile in the hallway about 3 or 4 a.m. and it freaked me out, it sounded like he was sitting at the end of the bed.

I wouldn't stay there again unless in a suite.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
11  Thank bond_guy
Reviewed 26 June 2006

Although I shouldn't start a review with a comparison I got to on this occasion.

I love the Peninsula, the top personal attention, the product etc, however having now stayed at the Sukhothai I am sold - I love the Sukhothai. It more personal, more personal as staff seems to have personalities and are not just smiling robots.

The Sukhothai rocks.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
9  Thank JWFOH
Reviewed 23 May 2006

The Sukhothai is a beautiful, soothing oasis in the middle of Bangkok. Public areas are large, open and luxurious with beautiful ponds, fountains and sculptures. It is quiet and peaceful and the staff/service are wonderful. Rooms are beautifully decorated with nice silks and teak wood panels. Bathrooms are large. Upon mention of our honeymoon we were offered tea and a honeymoon welcome cake.

However, the service is not as smooth and seamless as the Peninsula. Moreover, the hotel does not offer the imposing views or the luxurious decor of the Peninsula.

If you're looking for an understated yet elegant place, then the Sukhothai is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank ECYang
A TripAdvisor Member
Buckinghamshire, England
Reviewed 23 May 2006

• Stayed: April 2006
Reviewed 16 May 2006

I stayed here for 4 days during May and can say this is one of the most wonderful and authentic hotels i have been to. As soon as my partner and i had arrived we were treated with great hospitality. It took them no time at all to check us in, and before we knew someone came round to show us our rooms while luggage followed on way straight after.

Our room was delightfully authentic. Unlike many other 5 star hotels, the Sukhothai opts to use many of its local furnishings like the teak wood and silk. We had a deluxe studio and it felt still no expense had been spared. We still had a king sized bed, a flat screen tv, bose cd player, a chaise lounge, and good sized writing desk. What we did find great however were the bathroom and wardrobe areas. We had a walk through his and hers wardrobe, separate jet shower room, toilet, his and hers wash basins meticulously filled with toiletries, and an oversized bath tub.

On all occasions the staff were extremely polite and very helpful. The Concierge provided useful info on places to eat, and the front desk staff were also extremely efficient. I must also say that whilst in Bangkok I stayed in the Peninsula, which is on the other side of the river. Whilst its arguable that it has a better reputation, I found the Sukhothai to be a unique hotel that succeeded in taking advantage of its Thai roots unlike the Peninsula which had used the tried and tested western formula.

Perhaps one small downside is its location in a business district. Whilst not slap bang in the heart of a shopping district, I found that its charm was similar to an oasis in the middle of a hectic city.

In summary, this is an extremely charming hotel, positively unique, and epitomises thai hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2006