“Not worth the money”

Hippopotamus Restaurant Grill Thailand
Ranked #7,469 of 11,399 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: French
Reviewed 17 June 2017

We had high hopes since they make a high quality impression with their menu and french cuisine.
Sadly quality is just standard or below. Not much is fresh or special. Taste has nothing to do with real french cuisine.
At the end, the bill is surprisingly high. around 2000 baht ++ for a lunch for 2 without any alcohol.
Not worth the money. We wont be back.

Reviewed 6 March 2017

Very curious to know if the "touch of French culinary excellence" Hippopotamus raves about is only limited to its steak/grilled dishes.

We went last night and desperately looked for the "french excellence". We decided to NOT EVEN move to the main course part, so disappointing was its entree of Nachos and 5 dips ... the tuna seemed straight out of a can, the guacamole tasteless, the salsa (I have done better myself). The "fresh Orange Juice" was NOT fresh and the butter of super low quality. The soup was about the only thing we could enjoy and deservedly, decided to move to another restaurant for the main course.

I will avoid it and advise others to do same.

Oh! Also noticed another couple left after their first course.

So much for false advertising :-(

1  Thank ReggieC62
Reviewed 18 January 2017

Stopped at Hippopotamus for dinner, brought in by their very well done menu. Ordered the flank steak and a baked potato, but they were out of flank steak so I had the Tenderloin. Service was excellent, the server was very pleasant. Bread was brought along with my drink (a soft drink) and the steak came very quickly. It was an excellent cut of beef, but it was under-cooked (I ordered medium-rare, this was more like between rare and blue). I got two baked potatoes (the steaks come with a choice of two sides, unfortunately, most of those sides are potato based).

Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

My wife wanted a good steak and remembered the hipppopotamus steakhouse from France.

The venue looks like an American Diner. Bright lights and the venue was sooooo cold. Music was also not on "playing the sound of silence"

Steak was tasteless. No flavor. Vegetables seemed regenerated definitely not fresh.

The good news was the ribs were tasty. Service was ok by Filipino's.

Hotel toilets were dirty. Not looking to go back soon.

Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

Used to love this place as a great authentic French restaurant yet affordable. I think there had been a change of management, now the price have gone up by about 30-50% and the food quality have dropped considerably. The snapper I used to get is no longer crispy on the surface, it's also maybe 25% smaller than it used to be. I will not come here again!

1  Thank Jack G