“Brand New Hotel in bangkok”

The Berkeley Hotel Pratunam
Ranked #224 of 889 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed at the hotel just after it opened and got a very good rate for a 5 star hotel. As expected there were a number of teething problems but generally we were quite impressed. Check-in was slow but I think a lot of it was because the staff are not used to the computer system.

The breakfast buffet offered a very wide selection of both Asian and European food, but the food was cold for the first 2 days. By the third morning the staff seemed to get thing sorted out and the food was hot. The egg chef was very friendly and he actually ensured that the food was warm and made a great omelette with bacon as a side order. Choice of breads and cakes was good and the coffee kept flowing.

Although it is in the shopping area, it was quite far from the sky train and when it was raining it is almost impossible to walk on the sidewalks with all of the hawkers selling their wares along the way. If I return to Bangkok, I would not stay in the hotel again mainly because of the location.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peterpf

Reviewed 22 July 2013

On a trip to Bangkok from 18 July to 21 July. Was taken aback after reading much of the review from Tripadvisor but was glad that the stay wasn't that bad.

Check in was smooth without much delay, I timed it overall a 10 minutes which I think was reasonable. Checking out was slightly longer, as the front desk wasn't very fluent with English, but in no time she was replaced with another apologizing on behalf of her colleague. Most of the hotel staff were really friendly and helpful.

Room was reasonable in size and pretty new. Agreed with many the bed was comfortable. Aircon temperature reasonable and personally I do like their room. The only complaint was there wasn't any towel rack or hook for the towel, electrical outlet for shaver.

Breakfast was pale compared to other hotel of the same star. Location was pretty convenient except for if you are trying to cross the road towards Big C which is pretty risky due to the heavy traffic.

The changing of lift is one hassle but this isn't a big issue

Overall I enjoy my stay in this hotel

Room Tip: Well in many cases a little tips for appreciation of services do make the trick.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DANNY_ZOU
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Just came back from BKK. Well hotel stay was quite justified by the price we paid. We were a family of three, my wife and 2 1/2 year old kid. Checking in wasn't much of a hassle though they did ask us to proceed to the lobby bar for a welcome drink (which I thought was a good way to disguise the fact that our room wasn't ready yet). So after about 15min we were given our keys.

Our room was in tower 2 (see my tip to help travelers choose a good room). Staying in tower 2 IS a HASSLE trust me! Anyways, that aside, attitude of Thai staff as always was friendly and cordial as most Thai people are. Breakfast was really nothing to shout about for a 4 star hotel in fact it borders on being quite lackluster to be honest. Room situation was about hits and misses though misses were more than hits. Air conditioning was great, bathroom didn't have hooks to hang towels or clothes on, windows still had quite a fair bit of dirt and bits of paint still on them, not much to talk about really... all depends on your level of tolerance.

Location of hotel is not too good. Just think... You're diagonally from Platinum shopping mall so you'd have to cross 2 roads to get there. And if you've ever tried crossing these roads, you'll be in for a mad dash.

To end, I really think they're open coz they want their staff to go through a bit of "live" firing before the whole hotel becomes fully operational. In my opinion, they're understaffed for the current hotel size. But their overall staff attitude more then makes up for their misgivings. Good on them! In short, I won't be back for another stay. I will probably go back to my usual hotel Novotel Siam Square. That to me is the best in terms of location and amenities. Breakfast is great too! Haha!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in tower 1. At this moment, the hotel is still in the midst of being fitted up. So if...
1  Thank Darence
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Had my stay in this hotel for 2 nights but really a bad experience. their check in process was very long and we waited like more then 30mins to check in. well this is not the worst part, the room air-con is not working on the 1st night and before we went out for shopping, we actually ask them to check the air-con for us. to our surprise after we came back, we ask to make sure if they have check the air-con but they never even take note because they say "i will sent my staff to check the air-con now" and is already 11 plus singapore time!!! we are already very tired!!! and at 1st they never intend to change another room for us till we ask to speak to the manager again. this is what a "5 star" standard hotel? last day of the trip we waited at the lobby for bus pick up, surprise to see "plenty" of housefly flying around!!! is so disguising and horrible! they are not even up to 5 star standard compare to "novotel bangkok platinum" is so far the best hotel i stay in bangkok. i will never stay in this hotel anymore!!!

8  Thank rie_berry
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We booked this hotel for a special deal 100USD for a family room incl bfast. The room was very large, the airco very noisy (just like in the US!).
This hotel is still in the pre-opening stage and that shows. Service is slow, both check in & out. Breakfast is nice. Swimming pool is good. Elevators slow, we stayed in N-tower and had to transfer elevators. Once our room was still not cleaned at 5pm. Wifi was vey fast, >15Mbps, but location dependent. Worst was the concierge "arranging" taxis for us. Instead of offering normal meter taxis he tried to rip us off (a phrase I hesitate to use). To Tamling Chan floating market, 1200 THB return. We insisted on using the meter, this turned out only 200 one way. Same thing for Don Muang airport, this started at 700. I complained and it became 500. I refused and hailed a taxi myself which in the end cost 150. My advice, get a taxi yourself, the street is busy and within 1-2 minutes you will get one. Pick one which uses the meter, or worst case pay 50-100 extra if traffic is really bad.

The hotel has no restaurant, try the restaurants in Central Worls Plaza 6Fl. Turn right and main street left towards Isetan, 10 minutes by foot? For more adventures people try the chicken rice foot stalls.

Shopping is great in malls both left and right of the hotel. These are mainly wholesale place which offer good discount - the best in BKK? - especially if you buy more than 1-2 items. Bargain 20-30%, if you look like a real tourist even more.

1  Thank dutch g