Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Tara Place(Bangkok)
2,464 results
All reviewscd playerthewet piersoap makingthe riverbusy bangkokgolden buddhathai massageflower marketrooftop restaurantbreakfast was deliciousfamily roomguest housetaxi drivergrand palacelong flightboutique hotelkhao san road
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 April 2008

Of the six places we stayed during our 3-week vacation in Thailand and Cambodia, Phranakorn-Nornlen was our family's favorite. We chose it over other hotels with typical amenities - pool, cable TV, etc, because we liked the story behind it and we wanted a different experience.

We got more than we expected with the very friendly and helpful staff, the funky social gathering place where we got to meet other travelers from all over, and the fun bohemian-style rooms. The beds are the typical hard Thai beds, and the rooms are a bit spartan (no TV, but they are clean, showers were hot, and votive candles were burning to welcome us at 2 a.m. when our flight arrived . Breakfast (included) was huge, delicious, organic, and filling enough to fuel our sightseeing into the afternoon.

The P-N is north of Bangkok's center, but it's a quick walk to the water taxi dock; the boat ride is the easiest, breeziest, cheapest way to get around. There's a 7-11 at the corner for convenience items, but nothing else close except street vendors (which are quite good). There are computers with free internet access available for guests.

On my son's 14th birthday, the staff got an ice-cream cake for him and went to his room to surprise him by singing Happy Birthday! We shared the cake around the common area and made new friends.

We also arranged an excellent guide and driver to take us to several historical locations and drop us off at our next destination, a national park 90 minutes away.

I'm giving it 5 stars worth of experience for the price. It would be 4 stars for amenities and location. When we go back to BKK, we'll definitely stay at the Phranakorn-Nornlen again.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank sheryltu
Reviewed 5 April 2008

It took me a long time to get around to this review.
We stayed here for our short time in Bangkok. The staff was so friendly and helpful! Our room was not luxury, but nice enough with beautiful paintings on the wall. There was a line of ants going along the wall in the room and another in the bathroom. other than that the room was fine. I stayed there with my husband and 1 yo child.
one day our daughter fell off a stair onto the hard ground. she screamed and the staff immed ran up to see what happened. They were so concerned and got her some ice. They also had two nice parrots that our daughter liked.
I thought the breakfasts were GREAT! I have never had a better hotel breakfast anywhere. It was organic, vegetarian which is what I like. The breakfast area was very nice.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2008

The best hotel I've ever stayed at in Thailand, and I've been in quite a few. You're not going to get too many luxuries, but you will get a simple, homey and welcoming atmosphere that gives you as close to a taste the real Thailand as you can get in Bangkok.

The staff is so friendly and helpful and treat you more like personal guests than impersonal customers. In that spirit, the breakfasts are served not from a menu, but chosen by the cook, and there was always plenty of delicious food with that meal. I often wished we could have had the same for dinner! I would have been glad to pay extra for it, but I understand they want you to get out in the neighborhood to interact with the locals. But maybe they underestimate the appeal of retreating to their lovely hotel after a long day out in the noise and crowds of Bangkok!

Visually, the hotel is a delight, with its quirky, colorful design and individually decorated rooms. I also appreciate the ecologically-minded touches, like the fixtures made from recycled materials. The ground floor common area has a soothing garden, and because it is set back on a soi, away from the traffic of the main road, it's blissfully quiet and calm.

To sum up: Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2008

The little hotel with the long name...is an outstanding place to stay in Bangkok. It provides a wonderful green oasis in a big, busy city. The location is great for travelling by river to various attractions, avoiding the high-rise hotel experience. The staff is wonderful, the breakfast is an interesting treat each morning. This hotel is a gem!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2008

My girlfriend and I had a lovely stay at the PN. We especially loved the beautiful dining and garden areas.....so peaceful and serene. Rooms are not luxurious, but comfortable and clean (although we could have used a bit more hot water in the shower). Breakfast is fantastic and unusual, and the coffee is great! Most of all, the staff is very kind and welcoming. You'll feel at home immediately.

A word of warning....the neighborhood is not "touristy", and a bit funky. If you're looking for sleek modern surroundings and high end shopping, go stay near the Mandarin Oriental. On the other hand, if you're more of a "street food" person, this is the area for you.

The hotel is tucked away in a little neighborhood side street, so be sure to have specific directions or a map with you to give your taxi driver. Overall, this hotel is a fun place to stay and a great value.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple