Royal Asia Lodge Bangkok
Trip.com
US$94
US$85
Courtyard
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 November 2011

For years, I have read reviews from Tripadvisor to get info about hotels, but this is the first time I have shared my comment. To be frank with you, this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed. I have been to many budget hotels around the world, so I never expected anything luxury from Royal Asia Lodge. My basic need is just a clean room to sleep.

But... what I faced is army of cockroaches. They were everywhere from under the bed, in the cabinet, in the toilet, on the floor. One night a cockroach walked on my leg while I was sleeping. Sometimes, it was on my toothbrush. Moreover, my wife got sick due to bad air condition in the room. Air ventilation system was really bad. We spent 4 nights there in early November 2011 and it turned out to be my worst nightmare!

If the management reads my comment, please do something about it.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank PakornJ
Reviewed 31 October 2011

After reading some of the reviews on tripadvisor I wasnt quite sure what to expect for our 4 night stay at this hotel.
The initial signs werent good.The reception area is small and cramped and the lobby is nothing to write home about.
However when we got to our room on the 7th floor we were pleasantly surprised.It was a decent size and everything worked fine.
There is not a huge choice at breakfast but what we had was good and they do try and vary the food each day.
Its about a 10 minute walk to Nana MTR station which is no problem in the evening,but can be quite hot during the day so try to make use of their free tuk-tuk service.
There are some decent restaurants on Soi 8,particularily Monsoon and also det5,Soi 8 and Kinaree plus Citadines is nice for a beer just before you get back to the Royal Asia Lodge.
Overall I was quite happy with our stay at this hotel.What we got for our money was good value and it is situated in quite a good location on Sukhumvit.
If the reception/lobby area had a decent like of paint plus some newer furniture it would work wonders.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zidane08
BangkokMike, Resident Manager at Royal Asia Lodge Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2011

We were delighted to read that you have enjoyed your overall stay with us and wish to thank you
for your gracious comments about our hotel.

Once again, thank you, and we are looking forward to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Reviewed 21 October 2011

We booked at Royal Asia Lodge based on the information that they had provided on a website: free wifi, pool, breakfast included, free tuk tuk and cable television. For a low cost hotel we had pretty low expectations of what the hotel would be like - and even then we were disappointed. The wifi, electricity and room safe all failed to work at various times throughout our stay. When we asked the front desk staff for assistance they were apathetic and slow to respond.

The pool as it turns out is a grotty little wading pool that is certainly not worth using, and the sullen tuk tuk driver was lazy and unfriendly and reluctant to drive us. The only time he was anything approaching polite was when the hotel owner walked past him.

However the final straw revolved around the issue of payment. The exchange rate offered at the hotel was not only exorbitant but when we asked for a copy of the paperwork we had signed - they claimed that no such paperwork existed.

There are plenty of fantastic hotels in Bangkok - this is not one of them.

Room Tip: "Don't stay here"
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jane_Hanoi

We would like to apologize for the disappointing stay you had with us . We also appreciate that
you have given us opportunity to address this issue with the staff concerned and will ensure that they receives the necessary guidance to perform a much better role moving forward
improve our hotel. Please be assured that we will coordinate the plans for these enhancements with respective team members. We seek your understanding as the recommendations may require time to be implemented.

Best regards,

Reviewed 13 October 2011

All in all, a reasonably nice lodge, convenient location, with just a short distance to the Nana Sky Train station. The tuk-tuk free service was a great help to and from the lodge, especially after a long day of walking in the city. A hearty breakfast at the lodge each morning was good enough to start the day, given the choice of around ten spreads, with toasts, coffee and juices.

On the negative side...

1. I can only hope that the management of the lodge train their front-desk staff to be more polite so as to handle guests in a more professional manner. No guest wants to experience facing an impolite staff upon checking-in, what more after travelling long hours, to be greeted with NO SMILES but rude behavior. I particularly refer to the morning-shift male staff who was working during 7 - 10 October 2011. Not willing to apologize to guests when making a mistake is something which I cannot accept. Please talk to him and make sure this does not happen to your future guests. The house-keeping staff are a much more polite bunch of people!

2. Stayed there 4 days 3 nights with no hot shower in spite of making 3 reports to the reception each day. I suggest the management studies these feed-backs and try to improve where necessary. Good luck.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Hello fellow traveler,
my brother and I booked this hotel bc of its appropriate price and expected a fair and good accommodation for the current hotel rate. We traveled in September this year and rooms are quiet cheap around this season, bc of the rain. The room was about 1000 Baht per night. my brother and i expected to stay 2 nights, but we checked out on arrival.

As some reviews are describing this hotel as run down and very old. Yes it is and you DON'T get what you pay. Even worse, because for this money you can find a 10 times better room than this shabby one.

We had a look at at least 4 different rooms and all were the same. - Wah!

They advertise the Royal Asia Lodge as perfect located, near BTS. Well in fact you have to walk ca one km to get there or you take the taxi, but not "near"

I rated the service as average, bc the staff was friendly and even the cleaning lady apologized when she saw our faces and said with a smile "Sorry, very old!"

For a better understanding have a look at our pics we took.

Room Tip: If you want a very good standard at a fair rate, then check in to BKK City Hotel or BKK City Suite.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tiger L
BangkokMike, Resident Manager at Royal Asia Lodge Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feed back on Trip Advisor. We are truly sorry to hear about unpleasant experience. We would like to assure you that we will personally addressed this issue with staffs who concerned and will ensure they received the necessary guidance to perform a much better role moving forward to avoid a recurrence of this incident.

Once again, thank you for staying with us.

Resident Manager