All reviewsbaan boo loobaan booloocooking classguest houseoutdoor bathroomreal thai experienceold cityother gueststraditional styleevery morningwat phrahome away from homeour honeymoonfresh fruitstayed nightschang maituk tuk
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My partner and I had a lovely stay at Baan Boo Loo. The host Orn was so kind and went above and beyond to ensure we had everything we needed. I arrived with the flu and felt pretty awful but instead of feeling homesick I felt like I was taken care of as well as my mum would have looked after me. Orn made a lovely tea for my throat, arranged transport to the hospital, arranged a massage, our tours when I felt better, food when I felt too sick to leave the room. We also attended a private cooking class with Orn which was fantastic!!! She showed us how to make 3 lovely dishes and later forwarded us (via email) these recipes plus several more.
The room was also amazing, i think it was called the Bao Sao room. It had a beautiful outdoor bath, lovely big bed and also aircon and a fan. The grounds of Baan Boo Loo are also lovely! so beautiful and green! a fantastic getaway after our few days in Bangkok.
I hope to come back to Baan Boo Loo and have recommended it to friends and family!
I honestly cant say a bad word about it.
Thanks so much Orn! You made what could have been a terrible few days with a bad flu, into lovely memorable days.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Amy K
Reviewed 24 December 2011

We just returned from five nights at the Baan Boo Loo Guesthouse and are still marveling at how much we enjoyed it. Um and her family treated us as guests in her own home, tending to our every need. My father stayed behind one day and Um took the time to bring him snacks and make lunch. She let my 13 year old niece help with flower arranging and oversaw the delicious breakfast that was served each day. She made all the arrangements for our zip lining and elephant day trips, as well as transportation whenever we needed it. The trip to the local market and cooking class was memorable. Um was patient with our varying levels of skill and able to explain how the many different ingredients work together to create the flavors of the dishes as well as the process for preparing each.
The grounds are lovely, with many places to relax. Each of the rooms has a spacious outside area with seating. The rooms are comfortably rustic with teak floors, large wardrobes and comfortable beds. Two of our three baths had outside showers, which we found refreshing. The bedding and towels are high quality.
I would absolutely recommend the Baan BooLoo to anyone who wants to stay in a traditional Thai setting. If you are looking for luxurious five star accommodations with TV, this probably isn't your place. If you are looking for a memorable experience with outstanding personal service where you feel like you are part of the family, don't hesitate to make your reservation. My 75 year old father summed it up best: "This is one of the nicest places I've ever been!"

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank BetsyHK
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Baanbooloo is the kind of guesthouse that makes you just want to laze around and not mind not being out. Even my two teenagers enjoy this place so much. We love the rustic wooden houses with tasteful Thai interior decoration and furnishings. Very clean, relaxing, peaceful environment yet convenient to everywhere. Most importantly, Orn, who manages this place, is very friendly and helpful. She has a great team. They really take care of the property. We feel so at home and well taken care of. It beats staying in a typical hotel anytime. Our family vacation in Chiangmai has been made more authentic, more memorable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Snoopy877
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We travelled with our 6 childrew aged from 2 to 9. BaanBooLOo was perfects for everyone. Fantastic home, beautiful peopl and great location in the centre of the old city. Such a contrast from the 5 star resorts and so much more memorable/enjoyable.

BaanBooLOo is a luxury authentic Thai home, it's amazing. Adisak and Orn look after our every need. From meals, to day trips, to local sites and history + traditional Thai activities. We loved every minute, made some lovely friends and hope to get back one day soon.

Room Tip: Be sure to take DotCookThai cookery class based at BaanBooLOo.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Christine H
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I keep coming back to BaanBooLoo. I visit from Bangkok to Chiang Mai several times a year and have stayed at BaanBooLoo each trip for a couple of years. For me it provides the perfect mix of quiet, rustic retreat with convenient, city centre neighbourhood. There are so many cafes and temples and restaurants and shops within a short walk, including the Sunday Walking Street market.
I have stayed in different seasons and seen the garden grow and the guesthouse expand to three buildings. Because the number of possible guests isn’t high, there is plenty of space, with private outdoor areas attached to most of the rooms I’ve tried. But it’s also easy to make friends with fellow guests if you like.
The butler-style way the guesthouse is run also makes it feel very personal. Khun Orn is always helpful and charming, somehow managing to be unobtrusive yet easily available. Her breakfast is a bit different each day, with local delicacies fresh from the market supplementing the fresh eggs, toast, fruit and proper coffee. And her home cooed meals are also really tasty.
The architecture has a nice retro feel of old wood and layout, but with new style and proportions. The way the stilt houses are set up gives a taste of traditional northern Thai semi-outdoor living. That’s not for everyone, but I feel the authenticity makes my trip so much more stimulating and memorable. The converted rice barn is like a charming treehouse adventure, but less enclosed than other rooms; it’s a matter of picking a room that suits your tastes.
I enjoy the different spaces and how they change during the day and night. On business visits I’ve often got computer work done in the cool area under the house. It has good free wifi and all mod-cons, despite the rural feel. The wooden bolts, open-air bathrooms, shoes-off teak decks, mosquito nets and monks’ chanting from the nearby temples give a real sense of place. I feel I’m really in Lanna when I stay at BaanBooLoo.

Room Tip: Rooms have varying amount of outdoor areas, some with big open air bathrooms. Some may be happy under mosquito nets; others might prefer rooms with gauze screens. The rooms are sprayed and coils provided. Each room has a different character. Some with open air baths and canopy bed would suit a romantic couple, others a practical traveller, and families would like the paired rooms that effectively share a private balcony. The way it's laid out, families or groups could book a floor or one of the three buildings – or even the whole compound. The garden is big enough to have a private party in.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo