“Food for the Soul”
Review of Seven Suns

Seven Suns
Ranked #99 of 806 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Seven Suns Residence in Chiang Mai’s Old City is what a bed and breakfast is supposed to be.

The rooms are big enough to actually live in … by my measurement over 40 square meters. In fact everything in the room is big. The bed is big, the windows are big, the bathroom is huge! Last Sunday I just chilled out in the room, reading the paper, sipping on French press coffee, watching the news of the world on the big flat screen TV.

The only reason I went downstairs is because I’m hooked on the Seven Suns breakfast menu. Whole wheat waffles piled high with fresh Thai fruit and topped with raw honey. My favorite was the all-natural muesli with fresh fruit, yogurt and honey. Every morning I’d see Sanh, the fairer half of the couple that owns Seven Suns, make a shopping list and send the chef to the market for fresh fruit and vegetables.

The patio garden was my favorite spot in the afternoon; sipping on a cold beer, working my way through the Thai food menu and being pampered by the staff. After a day of visiting temples and riding elephants, it’s just what the doctor ordered.

Seven Suns is owned and operated by Lester and Sanh Smith, an American and his Laos wife. It is pretty obvious that running a boutique quest house is their calling. I wanted for nothing ... directions, taxis, tours, laundry ... they took care of me as if I was a longtime returning customer.

My only complaint is that I was too lazy to see more of Chiang Mai. Like a dog who lays on the porch where he gets his belly rubbed, I found it hard to leave the premises. (Look at that ... I’m already making excused to go back).

Short stay, long stay, romantic weekend ... it doesn't matter; Seven Suns will make you feel like family. This is easily the best place I've stayed in Thailand.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back have a view of the temple complex and are less prone to traffic noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Barton W

Reviewed 7 February 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this lovely guesthouse in early December.
The rooms were much larger than expected. the furnishings were done quite tastefully to give an open, clean and uncluttered feeling. Bathroom was huge with double sink and hot water there, as well as the showers. Room was immaculately clean everyday.The coffee maker with coffee was a nice touch, especially for a very inexpensive guesthouse.
All in all, just a terrific little place in the middle of Old City.
I have already recommended this little gem to a number of my friends, and they all loved it.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CasaSummer
Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

I initially found this place through AirBnB as I was making plan for my first holiday in Thailand. I contacted Lester who was extremely helpful in answering all of my questions and making sure that we were able to book everything through properly.
Lester even sent someone for us to the airport. He is American but had been living in Thailand with his wife for 10+ years, so he can really help you with any advice or tips on traveling throughout the country.

The room is simply great. Lester recently completed renovating the building, so everything is essentially new and modern. Centrally located, you are but walking distance to many Wats around the city along with restaurants, bars and markets not too far away.

The value behind these rooms and location is great. There is also a laundry service available. The staff has also helped us in booking tours, spa treatments, etc. with their capability to communicate to the places in Thai, especially about the exact location.

The building also has a restaurant and bar with breakfast, lunch and dinner options.

One thing to note and be mindful, there is also another place called Seven Senses. When asking for Seven Suns, especially by cab, tuk tuk and other drivers, it apparently is very common to get the two confused. Make sure you have a map available to show drivers the exact location of this building.

Overall, I highly recommend staying at Seven Suns. This was a great stay for a great price.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank KGarcia0313
Reviewed 24 January 2013

This was my first visit to Chiang Mai. I was already confident I had found the right place due to the helpful and informative emails I received from the owner, Lester, before I arrived. He arranged the seamless transfer from the Airport to the Motel on our very late arrival. The place is completely refurbished with bigger rooms then previously, everything is new and modern. Wonderful and comfortable bed (very important for me). Breakfasts were a great showcase of local cuisine mixed with western options.

Lester, his wife and team were all very friendly and helpful. It was a relaxng stay and will return for a longer stay later this year...:)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Marcus4005
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Lester and his wife have done an amazing remodel with spacious rooms, extremely comfortable king size beds, tasteful furnishing and amazing bathrooms. Great location and they were very helpful with directions and helping in arranging a cooking school and other activities around the area. Excellent coffee and affordable made to order to breakfasts make this place a must stay. We can't wait to stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the one queen room, room 401 which was amazing.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple