“Too expensive, there are cheaper better hostels”
Review of Hug Hostel

Hug Hostel
Reviewed 30 March 2017

The location of Hug Hostel is probably its highlight. Most tours pickup from this location. However, since there is also Hug B&B at the other side of the moat/gate, taxis and drivers are still confused and you have to explain which Hug you are in, so its greatest asset is somewhat diminished from the start.

The rest of Hug Hostel is fairly average, and I have found cheaper priced hostels that are way better. For one thing, they really need to improve their cleanliness. If they can please do something with the mosquitoes. At least have those bug zappers available to guests if staff cannot handle. There are dust everywhere and I think taking the shoes off would make your feet worse off. Even the beddings are dusty despite them being changed for each guest. No effort done in the lockers, very dirty. The common showers have no proper drainage, me wearing rubber slippers made it slightly better as long as I do not run the showers for more than 5 minutes. Toilets and basins I think is clean at minimum. Common living rooms could use airing, and the furniture changed.

The rest of my issues with hostel is personal and may not be true to all other guests. I was given a bed that someone wrongly occupied. I was asked by the staff to wait for that someone, and me tell him that he got the wrong bed and he should go to the staff. This is not my obligation and I told her so, I cannot waste my vacation time and bring inconvenience to another guest with their mistake. This is basic service, even for a hostel. I returned maybe 3 hours after I explored the city and had something to eat. The guest also came in at the same time and saw the staff explained the mistake... 5 minutes after, and the guest was moved to another bed, staff gave the key and bed to me. So, no they did not change the beddings and clean the area for my occupancy. I guess I have to pay extra for such luxury, also probably I should change my skin colour and ethnicity to be given common courtesy.

This hostel caters a lot of guests, which can get rowdy and crowded. Some prefers this "vibrant" environment, but me personally I prefer a cleaner, quieter and more secure place to rest. Again, this is personal preference and I didn't include this in my rating. However, the daily rate is more expensive than other surrounding hostels that offer the same environment, and even those that I prefer (which I guess is close to budget hotel environment more than hostel), hence my rating.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hug Hostel

Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

Hugs hostel is central Chiang Mai, so walkable distance to the bars/nightlife and restaurants.

The rooms are spacious and clean, the bed is comfortable and there is strong wifi. The air con is a bit weak and the room gets a bit hot. The shower facilities are ok. However there are only two toilets and two showers per floor and I found they were usually both in use. There is also a games room with computers which was very handy!

Stayed: March 2017
Reviewed 29 March 2017 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights. I really enjoyed this hostel.

The beds were ok, each room has big lockers to fit your backpack in and the air con was good. The bathrooms were nice, a shared big bathroom on each floor - I never had to queue to shower, although there was no hot water it was a nice strong pressured shower and the facilities looked clean.

There's a great chill out area upstairs with computers, tv etc and a really good hang out area downstairs with a cafe that serve GREAT food! We are here everyday for breakfast and dinner as it was so good and reasonably priced.

Overall definitely would stay again

Stayed: March 2017
Reviewed 23 March 2017

Very easy to get to from the airport, and easily walking distance/ scooter ride to all the local tourist spots, nightlife, markets and temples. The hostel was very clean, bath rooms were spacious and cleaned daily, the dorms were the same, and the beds comfortable. Lots of social areas, a chill out room with a tv and those thai triangular pillows, plus a bar and pool table downstairs, perfect for meeting other travelers for doing anything in the city. Staff are super helpful and friendly

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

Rooms are clean with big lockers that will fit your backpack. The bar has a good choice of food and drinks and it's a good place to meet other travellers. Staff are very helpful at booking tours and onward travel. The location is perfect for exploring the city - which is the most beautiful and interesting part of Chaing Mai.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo