“A Delicious Buffet for Families or Groups by Didier Corlou”
Review of Hien

Hien
Ranked #379 of 2,479 Restaurants in Hanoi
Price range: US$4 - US$13
Description: authentique villa Hanoienne, large courtyard and cover terrace on the second floor, full of charm to deliver an afordable vietnamese cuisine in creation with the respect of the mother...
Reviewed 4 January 2017

I think this restaurant has a simple premise:
Serve traditional street-food dishes of Hanoi...without the street

This is probably the best restaurant to take your out-of-town friends and family to who really want to try all the local favorites...but don't want the noise, discomfort, and questionable sanitation of the street or small vendors.

Traditionally made Vietnamese...just executed better than 99% of the street or small-shop vendors. Truly, the Pho, Banh Cuon and grilled meats are very good. I imagine this is what the original (and long-past) Quan-Ngon might have been created to be. A great place to try all the standards as they were meant to be done. The non-Vietnamese food was OK, but unimpressive and seemed more like an after-thought aimed at appealing to a local crowd.

Attentive in a way you miss in Hanoi and yet not suffocating. Although I admit that one quiet evening we had a waitress hover a little close until the manager stepped in to have her relocate a bit further off.

It's good. I like the old French villa setting and sitting outside is great when the weather's nice (similar to the original Madame Hien). The interior is tasteful and not crowded but can feel a bit quiet when it's empty and a bit loud when it's full (similar to the original Madame Hien).

I'm not usually a fan of buffets but Corlou has got this one right. With the closure of a buffet on Nguyen Thai Hoc (the name escapes me), I'd vote for Madame Hien Buffet as the top Vietnamese buffet in town.

Other:
The lunch buffet is cheaper but omits the grilled meats. Go for dinner.
The bottled beer options are a little thin and rather expensive.
The wine by the glass was good and moderately priced.
It seems like DC hasn't done a great job defining this restaurant. While I think it's a great place for out-of-towners seeking traditional VN food, it seems like it's targeted more at locals and ex-pats. Really, of all of DC's restaurants* this is the one which feels a little lacking in vision.

*I should mention that I haven't had an opportunity to have dinner at La Verticale yet. If you're searching for a present...I'd enjoy a gift certificate!

1  Thank ExP-in-SEA
Management response:Responded 6 January 2017

Dear ExP-in-SEA,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review with us .
we are very happy that you found our both cuisine and service to your liking .
Our teams are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kindest regards,
Restaurant manager- Trung nguyen

Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

Food was cold , cocktails watered down very disappointed in the food , pleased to say I visited the toilets after my food or I definitely would have walked out,,,,, which in the U.K. I would have ,,,,,,, waitress was lovely though but so disappointed in the food and expensive we felt

Management response:Responded 4 January 2017

good morning,

thank you for your comment.

receive all our apologize for the bad experience you feel in our restaurant.
some measures has been take and i invite you to come back and receive a better experience.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

excellent ,every thing cheap , fresh air , nice view , and beautyfull waitress ,
and i got a lot of offer =0)

dea Anh H,

thank you for your feedback.

that's right that the courtyard give a nice air on this time.
hope to see you soon, maybe on the balcony at the first floor :)

Reviewed 13 December 2016 via mobile

269,000 per person for dinner is not "cheap eats" whichever way you look at it. This restaurant needs recategorising. You could go to a neighbouring restaurant band have 3 whole main courses for that price.

dear NathanViva,

thank you for your comment.

we understand that you can feel the price high for Vietnamese food.
the thinks is that we provide for you the spirit and taste of the street food with a service, quality and products and global atmosphere.

anyway, dipart of the price consideration, we hop you enjoy the meal.

thank you and pleasure to see you again

Reviewed 12 December 2016 via mobile

I have been here with my family, to enjoy the foods tradition vietnamese, I like the foods here, especially dishes bun cha, and duck in 3 ways, and nem ha noi, around the banana, also some other dishes. I am very satisfied by the service here, in this space. I promised to return to the restaurant with my friends some day.

dear Huy n,

thank you for your comment.

we will be pleased to welcome you for an other Vietnamese experience.