“Great location and hotel”
Review of Especen Hotel

Especen Hotel
Ranked #220 of 606 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

This was a great place to stay for a day/night I had between arriving on the overnight train from Sapa and a flight to Dong Hoi the next day. Loved the location, the room was spacious and clean, and the staff was really helpful. I was able to walk there from the train station, and they got me into a room by 9:30 am which I didn't expect but really appreciated. It was also really secure.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

We checked the address, this is the "right" Especen for the review.
Pick up from airport was good, driver rude and cold but it was our first city in Vietnam, we now know that is the norm. Check in was fine, we were given a room in another building above a beauty salon which hadn't open yet. The room looked fine but the cleaning standards are poor with a gecko crawling about (we baptised her Rosalinda) dust all over Tv and ceiling fan - that would put it down to a 4 star rating its not a big deal. We then noticed the room got increasingly humid, the air com didn't seem to help. The towels were replaced every day, we were there 3 nights. What really puts the rating down to 3 stars is how the staff ignored and dismissed our complaints: there was a crack in the toilet cistern which dripped on our feet every time we flushed and zero pressure on the shower unless you want third degree burns. Both times the staff said they would fix it and twice said it was fixed... when we are pretty sure no one even went into the room. For the price the room can be a bit dusty and humid, but the care for guest comfort still has to be there... there are so many options in Hanoi We wouldn't go back here but it's not terrible (unless you're like me with long hair and can't wash your hair for 3 days).

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Isabel R
Reviewed 4 March 2017

My husband and I enjoyed staying at the Especen Hotel, which we booked through AirBNB. The staff were available 24/7 for us and were very friendly and helpful. They arranged well-priced airport transfer for us. The room itself was spacious and had a mini-fridge. The shower water was nice and hot, which was a welcome change for us after staying in budget hostels. Our room was cleaned very well daily and the price is unbeatable! On our last day we needed more USD to pay for visas for the next country we were visiting. The front desk offered us the bank rate to exchange the money (instead of a less desirable rate offered by tour agencies and money exchangers. The location is good in a hip area and is walkable to many attractions. Our favorite place to eat was a restaurant in a small alley near the cathedral. The deep fried pork and french fries are delicious! They also serve fresh lemonade and tamarind juice. We frequented this hole-in-the-wall place often, as it was a 2 minute walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank C M
Reviewed 27 February 2017 via mobile

That's right, rats. We stayed here two nights, and our first night went fine. The street was a bit noisy, but the location was decent so we dealt with it. The next night a rat somehow got into our room (we didn't leave the windows open), it broke into our backpack and stole our pretzels, got into another bag and took out dirty undies, and finally got a flower I had gotten at Ha Long Bay. We awoke to the sound of the rat dragging the bag of pretzels across the floor. We didn't sleep at all the night, because rats are disgusting. We tried to call reception, but the phone was disconnected and there was no one at the desk downstairs.
The next morning we found our items behind the tv stand. We told the receptionist about the incident, and he didn't seem at all surprised. After we came back from touring the city, he offered us 50% of one night stay as compensation, which honestly didn't make up for the rat in the room.
What bothers me most is that if pretzels attract the rat, then the breakfast they serve on the bottom floor must REALLY attract the local rats.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 January 2017 via mobile

First, Housekeeper refused to help me when I asked him to help caring my luggage from my room (level 4) to main floor. He said that I can do it myself, he was sick. (He didnt look sick at all, just being lazy I guess)So I was doing it myself. ISecondly, later, he told me that he couldn't find bed sheet and he want to check my luggage which is impropriate to do. That's freak me out. He also so said that the towels i used too dirty and he want me to pay for that? Really????? What is the purpose of towel???
Their services make me really upset. Room is good but not the service. I am definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone unless they hire a different housekeeper.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends