“French and Fabulous”

Cuisines: French, Vietnamese, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 20 March 2019

In the old quarter but a haven of peace with an interior courtyard. Outstanding food presented as art on a yet generous portions. Choux buns filled with crab to start, followed by bass fillet on potato/veg cake with delicate orange sauce. So good w went back a second time on our return to Hanoi.

Date of visit: February 2019
Write a reviewReviews (3,352)

Reviewed 20 March 2019 via mobile

I was traveling with friends and after days of eating street food we decided to treat ourselves to dinner where we could dress up a bit, drink some good wine and eat really great food. We went to the Green Tangerine, which was around the corner from where we were staying in the old quarter, and it did not disappoint. The food was French Asian fusion, very tasty and all of us were very happy with what we had ordered. That included seafood, a vegetarian meal and steak. Well cooked and delicious tastes. Desert deserves a special mention! The wine list was extensive and the cocktails were really good. Lovely colonial building with a beautiful courtyard and efficient and attentive staff.

Reviewed 17 March 2019

Look, it probably should be 3 1/2 stars but mostly for the setting and ambiance which is nice. I am a regular business traveller to Hanoi for over a decade and good food is something this city, and country, do well.
I do have a favourite French establishment here but as it was a Sunday, and they don't open then, I felt like this sort of fusion food so had heard about Green Tangerine. Reviews were a bit up and down but gave it a go anyway.
The food is okay, but no more than that. Presented as you would expect for this price point but, weirdly, not much flavour and, what there was, wasn't particularly great. I saw some other reviews say something similar.
Had the hot crab starter and seafood medley (I guess you'd call it). Amuse Busch was brought out before (not much flavour here either). I guess I was looking forward to having a good meal as I've been on the road for a couple of weeks eating on the run mostly or on a plane.
Even the service was just kind of okay. Had 2 glasses of a nice Sav Blanc and the bill came in at AUD$65, so pretty steep in this country.
As for reviewers who declare it "the best French restaurant in Hanoi", they haven't been to La Badiane. So long as its not Sunday and your choosing, its a no contest.

Reviewed 16 March 2019 via mobile

Loved this place, French with a Vietnamese twist, we shared our dishes, sitting in the courtyard is a must.

Reviewed 16 March 2019 via mobile

We ate a The Green Tangerine after having been given a card by a street vendor. The restaurant itself was great however the food was lacking. Most of the previous comments mirror exactly my thoughts so I will be brief. The presentation of the food was very artistic however completely lacked flavour. By Vietnamese standards the food pricing is extortionate , we paid approximately £120 for 4 of us and that included 2 beers and 2 cocktails. My soup and steak was lovely although somewhat lacking in terms of side dishes. A friend had salmon that completely lacked flavour and when mentioned to the chef he apologised but by reading earlier comments he didn't listen to the feedback! There are far better restaurants in Vietnam that are not pretentious with wonderful food. My advice is, if you are looking for artwork rather than taste and are happy to pay for it, then this is the place for you.