Ways to Experience Vietnam Railways
from US$201.61
More Info
from US$577.57
More Info
All reviews train experience reunification express light sleeper clean cabin horror stories lao cai platform laman vn
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 March 2019 via mobile

Given the price of the soft births on the Violet Express, particularly in comparison to everything else in Vietnam, you would think you were in for a treat. This is not the case, I spent the night killing cockroaches which were entering our cabin through the air conditioning vent I think. The air conditioning only worked intermittently so when you did manage to sleep you woke up sweating or shivering.

As it was night train from Ninh Binh to Hue we only really got 2 hours of daylight to enjoy the views which were of no special interest compared to everything else we have been seeing.

Save your money and take a flight if you can, you are not missing out.

Reviewed 14 March 2019

I bought ticket from Hanoi to Hue (14:30 - 4:30) and after that, I started to read reviews and got scared. People what on earth are you doing in Vietnam, when you are disgusted by normal train. Yes, toilets smell little bit but this is also happend in european trains, but
toilet at self was clean and water was running from sink perfectly. I bought soft seats (seats same like in bus), because beds are unnecessary and what I read, they are small for foreigners. Train was clean and windows also. I dont understand when people write here buy food before ride. They served food twice per ride for good price + snacks like corns and etc, also lady with drinks was there all the time. And wagon with seats was almost without people, so I have double seats and slept well like in bed. So yes its not clean like in germany train, but what I said on beginning, stay at home if you are sensitive, its same like with review on hotels, people thinking like they should have hotels like I dont know from where, did you ever goes to some local house? They live in worse conditions and its fine for them so how do you expect better hotel. Actually Vietnamese people for me have more hygiene than we European/USA :-D, so Im not scared of any dirt (except mold and cigarette smell), next time left your kids little bit touch with dirt, they will have good immune and not complain in the future like people here about trains.

2  Thank veronikah564
Reviewed 13 March 2019 via mobile

We were VERY pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness and amenities of the train! The gates opened 40 minutes before departure and we boarded it, the employees were very helpful showing us our way. The four-bed sleeper was clean, the sheets and pillows did not smell, the floor was clean. We saw one tiny cockroach but that’s easily manageable. The bathrooms started out smelling clean but as the night went on, there was obvious some deterioration to its state of cleanliness. The 14-hours went by in a breeze but that was also because we were super exhausted that we were knocked out right away. All in all a good experience for this particular train.

2  Thank litiing
Reviewed 13 March 2019

“Those of you” taking notes (follow me on Instagram: @cindysoka) will know that I have been travelling up Vietnam from Ho Chi Minh. I decided to get the 17 hour sleeper train from Danang to Hanoi.

The options were:
• plane (£42 excluding luggage - 1 hour 20 mins),
• sleeper bus (£17 - 17 hours) or
• sleeper train (£30 - 17 hours).

Flying would have ended up costing £60 and I am still traumatised from the last sleeper bus I went on (13 hours from Da Lat to Hoi An), so sleeper bus it was. I read somewhere online that it was best to opt for a First Class birth, so I did.

I actually wanted to try a sleeper train so it worked out well. From what I read before the journey, the ride is smoother on the top bunks, basic food is served at regular intervals and you see great views of Vietnam.

The journey was ok. The train shakes quite a lot on the track, so the birth was swaying for the majority of the time. At times, as I lay on my bunk I felt like a coke bottle being shaken up and down.

There are toilets on board, but they are very dirty and smelly. No toilet roll is provided, so it is a good idea to bring your own. OF COURSE – ALWAYS SQUAT. Bless the person who decides to sit on those disease infested toilet seats. There are sinks everywhere but some don’t work. I managed to freshen up before bed.

The bedding provided is not clean. It smells to the high heavens. I read online that they just fold them up after passengers get off. Luckily I had a sleeping bag liner to sleep in.

The entire train is noisy, but I used ear plugs to sleep. The sections in between the carriages is VERY noisy.

A man came with a cart of food at regular intervals. He was serving soup, dumplings and eggs. I actually smiled in amusement because of how bare his trolley was compared to Virgin Active trains,

It was MUCH better than a sleeper bus. I actually got some deep sleep. On the sleeper bus, I had about 2 or 3 hours of harassed sleep.

I didn’t see much of the country side because I was asleep the majority of the time. The train left promptly at 17.45 and arrived late at 12.15. I also watch a hundred episodes of game of thrones. :)

Reviewed 12 March 2019

Slept and got up and slept and got up on the train on more than a thousand kilometers from Hanoi to HCM city. A wonderful experience in life! But don't forget to bring along sanitizers for a lot of possible uses on this route.