“an awful experience”
Review of Phuong Nam Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ho Chi Minh City
Phuong Nam Resort
Ranked #401 of 476 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 5 December 2014

I stayed in the Nam Phuong resort yesterday and this is the worst hotel I ever stayed, because time limited for such a short trip so I decided go somewhere close to Ho Chi Minh and I didn't have time to check carefully this hotel, I only see beautiful pictures from their website and thought it will be a great place for us but it's completely different from the beautiful pictures and what I expected, I was so disappointed when after long trip we need a good shower but the shower was broken, I called them to fix and then it work but very weak water come out and no hot water, after struggle with my shower, I came out and find out the aircon so noisy, I turned aircon off and turn fan on but fan didn't work. Hard bed, cheap furniture and dirty floor quiet annoyed me and another thing came out which made me exstremly furious when we gave them my ID card and my partner passport copy and they let us checked in but 2 hours later they call us to say they need my partner visa (which was left in Ho Chi Minh), so without visa, we couldn't stay overnight, I don't mind to pay for VIP room with 2,000,000 VND a night to have a beautiful experience but everything in the hotel are old and broken, doesn't worth to stay, then we decided to leave, we checked out and they charged us 1,300,000 vnd which is rediculous for 2 hours stay with everything old and broken, but the point is, if they tell us earlier about the visa problem that we couldn't stay overnight without visa then we wouldn't check in. We said we pay 500,000 which is very good price for 2 hours stay in their old hotel, bad service and not telling us about visa problem when we check in, but they didn't step back and said if we don't pay the money they want, we are not able to leave the hotel, then I said I want to talk to their manager about the problem but they said: "Customer are not allowed to talk to our manager", another rediculous thing to say to customer. so what can we do, we have to pay them the money they want because we don't want waste the rest of the day to argue with them or call police, it was an awful experience with this Nam Phuong resort, no wonder why nobody come here and everything look empty.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Xuan1884

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I travel a lot for work and have stayed in many resorts that are just out of the main city areas. This was a $15 taxi ride from the airport. I was traveling with a friend whose family live near by so this was a great choice. the room I have was very well maintained with updated amenities. The bed was a little hard but comfortable. The staff is very helpful even if the english is sometimes difficult. The food has been great. It is very quiet and great for relaxing . I love that most of the rooms are in separate cottages. I will defiantly come back with a group of friends to just hang out and relax.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tgrbear2001
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I stayed in a VIP room and the room needs maintenance. The walls in the bathroom have large gaps in the wall corners from the ceiling halfway down the wall that cannot be fixed with a simple patch job. There were several cracks in the ceiling too that cannot be fixed with a simple patch job either. The breakfast buffet has a start time of 6 AM but is not ready till 6:30 AM making it difficult to eat and leave the resort by 7 AM for business meetings. I mentioned this to the manager and he stated that others have also complained and that they will do their best to fix this problem. One week later and still the breakfast was not ready until nearly 6:30AM. I mentioned this a second time to the manager and he said that while he did instruct the staff to begin on time, it is a cultural thing to delay the start time. I suggested that he fix the problem or change the start time on the sign. For business travelers who need to leave the resort near 7 AM, breakfast there is a huge problem and never on time. The restaurant bar has multiple variations of scotch and cognac but no other types of whiskey, vodka, gin, or other spirits.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank educator_12
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stayed at this resort since I had business in Binh Duong. Phuong Nam isn't in HCMC and it a pretty costly taxi ride to get there and back, however, on the surface it is a nice secluded spot that's away from the noise and bustle that Vietnam is. Breakfast wasn't bad. It consisted of a buffet with a mixture of Asian and Western items, but predominantly Asian, which I enjoy. For breakfast there's the usual rice congee, pho, and dishes that westerners would normally have for dinner if they were ordering carry out from a local Chinese restaurant. There's also cereal, yogurt, and an omelette station. The restaurant also serves a very good dinner, a la carte.

Here's the thing though. The rooms reek from some very heady, very perfumy air freshener. It was bad enough to give me a terrible headache and I had to ask the staff to not use it any more. OK, so that's not the end of the world, right? The resort is in the middle of a jungle, man-made or natural, I don't know, and mosquitoes are everywhere. The problem with that is that the cleaning staff leaves the doors to the rooms open for 10 minutes while they clean and the first hour or so when you go to sleep you're using that tennis racket-like contraption to try to zap all of the mosquitoes you can find, using your own body as bait, of course.

I was waking up in the morning with very itchy bites all along my ankles and, although I thought it to be peculiar, chalked it up to somehow getting bit by mosquitoes during the night, despite keeping my legs under the bed spread for the entire night. These persisted each night, despite my best attempts to eradicate the room of mosquitoes. The funny thing about it was that the bites on my ankles persisted but yet I had no bites on my face or arms which were exposed all night. I still had the bites by the time I came back to the States and showed my wife and she insisted that they were bed bug bites. After doing some research, based on the sizes and the clustering, it seemed more likely that they were flea bites and the fleas were living between the sheets in the general area where my feet had been.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank EdK_IL
Reviewed 22 October 2012

This resort is located around 20 km away from Ho Chi Minh. The resort is very quiet and with nice swimming pool and lake garden. The restaurant decoration is very nice and serves a very good vietnamese steamboat, grill chicken, etc. The distance between reception and room is 5 mins walk and good for someone looking for room in forest view.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business