“Map Reading Adventure”
Review of Goc Ha Noi

Goc Ha Noi
Reviewed 29 June 2018

After getting off at at Ben Xe Mien Tay, I walked toward An Lac Market. From there I booked a Grab Bike. As the bike was cruising, I noticed it was going north east, instead of east. So I checked my tablet again and only then did I notice that I clicked a different “Goc Ha Noi – Tea and Coffee” in District 12! Luckily we have not gone too far, so I clicked the correct “Goc Ha Noi” and show it to the driver.

In Bui Vien, it took us at least two times going around trying to find the alley. So I just got off at No. 165. Reading other reviews, I imagined that the alley is same like a “Hem” passable to motorcycles, but only when I was there that I saw that it is only a walkway that would hardly even fit two people side by side (see picture).

Nevertheless, I found the famous coffee shop as they are just opening for the day. I was the first customer to enjoy the frothy egg coffee, matched it with a sandwich. A backpacker couple from UK later came and we had a good chat. Since it will not be often that I can be here, I also ordered and likewise enjoyed the egg cacao.

I admired the cookie jar which says ““Cookie for free. We made use of the white eggs to make cookies for FREE and CHARITY as well. You could eat them and donate a little money in the other box if you really feel comfortable. All money will be used for buying clothes, books, milk for Poor Children. Thank you!!!” Really proves the owners are so nice.

1  Thank gat_lontok

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Lovely place, brilliant coffee and very friendly staff! After our first visit we returned 3 times because we enjoyed it so much. It sounds almost impossible to find a place this authentic in the middle of the crazy tourist area, but it's true! There's a lot of other places advertising with egg coffee but if you didn't walk through a narrow alley first, you're at the wrong place!

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

This hidden hideaway boasts a delicious secret. It promotes their delicious egg coffee which is sure to make you smile upon drinking. While the stairs may prove troublesome for taller travellers it is well worth the walk in due to the tasty coffee and friendly service. We visited in the rainy season and upon leaving it was raining heavily, however our hosts at the shop kindly offered us raincoats to brave the outside weather. Overall this is a fantastic spot to relax and enjoy a cup of coffee in the middle of the bustling city that is Ho Chi Minh.

1  Thank Jack G
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

You must come here! Very tasty and delicious egg coffee-like a coffee meringue treat. We came here to read and shelter from the rain, very relaxing and lovely service :)

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Have heard about this cafe and egg coffee for such a long time! Finally got a chance to get there. It’s in a very small street but easy to find. Better come here early in the morning (8:30 for instance) because it’s extremely quiet and peaceful.
The cafe is all decorated in traditional Vietnamese way, simple but beautiful. Make me feel like home.
Egg coffee is very tasty, creamy and not so sweet. Love the smell of coffee too.
Staff and the owner are so incredibly friendly. They all speak in Northern accent which fits perfectly in Hanoi’s theme of the cafe.
We are both so impressed with this cafe! Definitely will be our favorite spot every time we get to HCMC!