“Average food in a touristy setting”

Propaganda Bistro Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 3,717 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Propaganda, perhaps the first Vietnamese bistro in the world, is renowned for great wine and Vietnamese food pairing (we ordered from their surprisingly affordable Food & Wine Discovery menus) but do not miss out if you happen to pass by in the day time and order an outstanding Vietnamese banh mi (in home-baked bread) while you enjoy the commissioned mural art in propaganda art style.
Reviewed 23 November 2017

After reading the rave reviews on Tripadvisor and Google I thought it'd be great to try this place out as it seemed really unique and something a bit different for Ho Chi Minh.
I ordered a deep fried spring roll for starter, which albeit was really nice and tasty, however my main was BBQ pork and I had eaten all of it except the rice to last - upon munching my way through this I discovered a very hard piece of something after nearly breaking my tooth - I thought potentially I had eaten a bone or something, but this was to one side of my plate. I had no idea what it was, after complaining to the server unfortunately she all she did was bring me a glass of water, offered no apology and subsequently brought us the bill.

I was unfortunately also placed next to a homophobic Russian couple (not the restaurant's fault, I know) but they made us feel incredibly uncomfortable and kept talking about us and snarling at us - Tables are very close next to each other and you have no privacy to talk. Not the best service, I won't be coming back.

Giovanni M, Public Relations Manager at Propaganda Bistro Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Dear Matt B,

Thank you for visiting us and to let us know about your experience.
We are sorry for your experience and for the misunderstanding, indeed, due to your reaction, the waitress thought that you bite a chili, so she offered you a glass of water.
Due to her English as well, she did not understand what you said. She really apologize personaly.
This problem has been reported to the kitchen so it won't happen again.
Also, due to our location and reputation, we're having locals, but also tourists guest Once again we're sorry you didn't feel comfortable and that the service didn't reach your expectations.

Thanks and regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,490)

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended to us, so glad we tried it! It seems to be a very popular and busy, which is not a bad thing!! Had to wait for a table, but advised to order so that our food would be ready when we got our table. Starters of fresh spring rolls 5 duck and 5 prawn were really good, Bang Mei was superb-my husband and I had pate with pork and pickles and our daughter had crab with chilli mayo-both very tasty! Staff are very helpful and nice-no rush to get you out!! Reasonably priced too! Would definitely recommend!!

Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

If you are conscious about eating in clean, safe place, this is a safe bet. You will find mainly tourists here since the prices are above the average in Vietnam. The atmosphere is quite nice as the decoration of the place is quite cool. Staff is really nice but they do take it easy so be patient or skip if you are in a rush. Went there twice!

Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

What a fantastic place. Really cool location - very arty and light.
Staff is very friendly and they have a good selection of dishes - just the right amount of possible selections.
Nice to grab a quick bite or drink in a cool surrounding.

Reviewed 18 November 2017

Colorful decor.
Our tour guide pre-ordered for the 6 of us. Fresh rolls with omelette, avocado, brown rice as our starter were delicious. 2nd course was a salad topped with rolls - minced meat wrapped in betel nut leaves. I am not fond of the taste of betel nut leaves. Salad was good and healthy. Great coffees and tasty soursop ice cream.

Notice their napkins..they are also for sale.